ADwD in October 2008?

Guest Ser Jaime

Before we get all excited, didn't this happen with A Feast For Crows as well? It was listed as available for pre-order something like 6 months before you could actually order it?

Just saying.

Man, I would love to be wrong.

Actually, amazon.co.uk had pre-orders available several _years_ before the book was finally published. If I remember correctly, the first indication we got that there was going to be A Feast for Crows (rather than A Dance With Dragons) was an amazon.co.uk page that went up in the summer of 2001. I don't know that Bantam had an announcement up that early.

The title A Feast For Crows was not announced until Worldcon in Philadelphia, which was 1 September 2001 IIRC. I think the AFFC title went up on Amazon a few weeks later.

I'm now expecting to see the cover artwork for both the UK and US editions to appear in the next three or four months. I think both Voyager and Bantam are going to want to build the expectations for this one incrementally.

Of course, if Bantam are releasing the book in October, that would mean UK readers could get it a month or six weeks earlier, which would be extremely sweet... ;)

...but I'm not buying anything the publishers say until GRRM makes an official announcement.

I just came across this as well. This is actually pretty big news. Bantam would not list the book on the site or on Amazon unless they were very confident it would be out then. They've also listed Scott Lynch' Republic of Thieves for August 26th. The difference between the Amazon.com and Amazon.uk sites is that while the UK site often has books up as far as two years in the future, and thus often has it wrong, Amazon.com only has it up a few months in advance, and from my years experience, they are rarely wrong.

This still leaves the possibility for GRRM to not make it by June/July of course, so the book would be delayed. But they must be very confident indeed to have it up as a real listing.

They were totally wrong with Feast. I remember watching the release date get pushed and pushed until they finally took it down. I made the mistake of assuming these kinds of things meant something last time, they did not. Until George says he is done you are wasting your time. Period!

Wouldnt it be fantastic if he had secretly written ALL of the books and released them this year. Ok ill go back to dreaming.

I would love it if he released them the way Stephen King released the last 3 Dark Tower books. I think they were released about 6 months apart form one another. I know it will never happen but that would be sweet.

They were totally wrong with Feast. I remember watching the release date get pushed and pushed until they finally took it down. I made the mistake of assuming these kinds of things meant something last time, they did not. Until George says he is done you are wasting your time. Period!

Yep. The AFFC release date got pushed back for years, then dropped completely, and only reappeared when a final date was actually set. I for one refuse to believe anything until I hear from GRRM that the book is done. In fact, GRRM has repeatedly warned against taking these kinds of release dates seriously without any confirmation from him.

October '08 would be great. Just not holding my breath.

Psychologically, pre-ordering will make the wait harder for me. If I need to wait all the way til October, a week won't make a difference. On the plus side, my order will arrive in a few days, while yours will take a whole year. You really should have a talk with your postman :)

*Fingers crossed*

I defenitly hope that that's the release date, but still, I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

I think this book might just end up being the first one I break down and pre-order though.

Does anyone have a clue what's the fastest way to get ADWD if you live in Germany? Preorder it at amazon.uk or at amazon.de?

Amazon de, I'd say. With the popularity of the book, Amazon will have it in store a few days before release, and you'll get a 24 hour delivery. It usually takes a week from the UK.

I still think early 2009 is more realistic.

I'm worried about Time of Wolves being around 2015 though :(

Then again I worry too much.

Why are the Bran chapters dreaded?

this is going to be over 1k pages again isn't it?

I would love it if he released them the way Stephen King released the last 3 Dark Tower books. I think they were released about 6 months apart form one another. I know it will never happen but that would be sweet.

It's no coincidence those those last 3 DT books sucked and ruined the series.

I'd rather GRRM took his time.

Yeah, I'm with those who say they won't believe it until they hear it from George himself. I do think a Fall 2008 release is realistic, though. Also, I see publishing companies doing blurbs like this as a no-lose proposition. The upside is they are tweaking interest and generating web hits, etc., while there really is no downside. If the book release is delayed then they really aren't on the hook for it. They can just explain it away with any number of excuses. Of course, we fans will wait as long as we have to and snatch up the book whenever it becomes available. That's our lot...

Archived