American Idol

RedSock in Westeros

Actually, the comparison between Brooke and Bucky isn't a bad one. Or if you wanted to compare her to Bo, that would work.

They all know what their strength is and don't feel the need to stretch themselves to fit anyone else's theme (Bucky = Country, Bo = Southern Fried Rock, Brooke = Harmless Jewel-esque singer/songwriter type). It may be limiting, but if it works for them, why press them to branch out? Hell, the Ramones played the same damned song over and over for 25 years and nobody told them they needed to branch out in a new direction.*

Phil Stacey, on the other hand. What was his strength again? Didn't they have to tell him he could be a country singer? It will never be natural for him to be a country guy as long as we know he was told to fit into that mold.

*No, I am not comparing these guys to the Ramones. I'm not that crazy.

Guest Domaine Raidneé
Phil Stacey, on the other hand. What was his strength again? Didn't they have to tell him he could be a country singer? It will never be natural for him to be a country guy as long as we know he was told to fit into that mold.

Apparently, he thought he'd been pretty clear that he was planning on doing country all along, and was kind of irritated that Randy acted like he "discovered" that Phil was truly a country artist.

Brooke = Harmless Jewel-esque singer/songwriter type).

I'd buy this "singer/songwriter" myth, if there was any proof she could, y'know... write a decent song.

I believe that's one of the requirements.

I'd buy this "singer/songwriter" myth, if there was any proof she could, y'know... write a decent song.

I believe that's one of the requirements.

Meh. I think you know what I was getting at. She's probably no Carole King when it comes to penning lyrics, but she can strum a guitar and play the piano whilst singing her inoffensive brand of folky pop.

Celebrate Me Home has got to be one of the absolute worst songs ever.

You must not have been around when the producers shoved "So you had a bad day" down my eardrums every week in Season 5.

"Celebrate me home", while not making much sense grammatically, is somewhat less painful.

Guest Domaine Raidneé
You must not have been around when the producers shoved "So you had a bad day" down my eardrums every week in Season 5.

"Celebrate me home", while not making much sense grammatically, is somewhat less painful.

Nope, don't really remember that. Daughtry's Home is a little easier on the ears.

How I detest Nickelback and don't really mind Daughtry is a mystery to me.

Nope, don't really remember that. Daughtry's Home is a little easier on the ears.

How I detest Nickelback and don't really mind Daughtry is a mystery to me.

Then this should be fun to watch, if you didn't see it live.

Without a doubt, the best reaction shot in the history of the show. And of course, cut off was that godawful Bad Day song immediately following.

Guest Domaine Raidneé
Without a doubt, the best reaction shot in the history of the show. And of course, cut off was that godawful Bad Day song immediately following.

:lol: That's great. My husband's on some crazy deadline working at home and is thoroughly annoyed with my giggling. I think it was the classic Mario screen that really did me in.

Ramiele had to go. The audience might have booed Simon for calling her performance forgetable, but I doubt many of those would have been able to say what she sung if they had been asked.

Jason, Kristy and Syesha to go next. I'm still not seeing anyone who really stands out, like they had in the early seasons, they seem a pretty mediocre bunch

Ramiele had to go. The audience might have booed Simon for calling her performance forgetable, but I doubt many of those would have been able to say what she sung if they had been asked.

Jason, Kristy and Syesha to go next. I'm still not seeing anyone who really stands out, like they had in the early seasons, they seem a pretty mediocre bunch

I would have to disagree with you. This bunch seems to be the best yet (it helps that many of them are semi-pro) There isn't that one that you can point to and really wonder how they got this far.

I do agree with you assessment about which singers are next. There is always that one though that gets a little farther than they should. Not sure which one that is yet.

I'm not sure it is the best, though it is pretty even, so they probably average out as the best. Of the remaining ones, I don't think there is anyone who is really bad (and even Ramiele was more bland than bad), but I don't see anyone of the level of Kelly, Ruben, Clay, Fantasia or Carrie or even some of the others from those early seasons

The last two weeks have been kink to KLC, but I imagine that she'll be gone next time 'round. It was no shock to see Ramiele go - she didn't bring a lot of personality to her songs and wasn't great at the singing part (which is kind of important).

I kinda like Carly Smithson and David Cook. They can both sing, but I think only David has a real shot at it - I think too many people have got it in for Carly for her to be in with a realistic chance.

Last night, I was just happy to see Brooke in the bottom 3.

Yup. I'm not a fan of Brooke at all and fail to see what the fuss is. I think she has a certain amount of talent and will go far, but I think she's fake and has an unpleasant arrogance/condescension about her that makes her unpleasant to watch. I'd love for her to go next, but it won't happen.

N

I'm not sure it is the best, though it is pretty even, so they probably average out as the best. Of the remaining ones, I don't think there is anyone who is really bad (and even Ramiele was more bland than bad), but I don't see anyone of the level of Kelly, Ruben, Clay, Fantasia or Carrie or even some of the others from those early seasons

I never really got the love that Fantasia got. Season 3 was the weakest of the bunch IMO. This season's top 12 is better than all of season 3 (IMO)

The last two weeks have been kink to KLC, but I imagine that she'll be gone next time 'round. It was no shock to see Ramiele go - she didn't bring a lot of personality to her songs and wasn't great at the singing part (which is kind of important).

I don't know...I keep waiting for her to open up. She has a great voice and she's hott now if she just had some personality. It may be too late though. Most people are rallying behind their favorites already. She would have to steal them from another group.

Even money though that if this week is "inspiration" week that she does something patriotic.

Michael Johns: his butt looked big tonight, especially from whatever they kept showing him. Weird. I’m with Randy on this one. It was alright for me. (Randy says that about EVERYONE.)

Syesha: That song bored me. She sang it really well though, and I never heard Fantasia sing it, so I don’t really get the comparisons. No one even bothers listening to Paula, I wish she would shut up.

Jason Castro: Honestly. I can hear him breathe louder than he sings, and he makes the weirdest faces. I guess he’s talented but he bores me to tears.

Kristy Lee Cook: Ugh. I’m not a country fan and she annoys me in so many ways. Also, poor shirt choice, as it looked almost like a nipple showing through. She is hot and skinny and boring as hell, probably safe for another week. Also, Randy “that was good…for you†hahaha.

David Cook: Okay, everyone does NOT have a good heart at the end of the day. But. He’s just kind of meh tonight.

Carly: I love this song, and I think she does a great job with it. I’m not really listening to her much though because I’m just missing my violin. ïŒ

David A: He annoys me. I don’t even want to listen to him sing. I suppose he sang his song (which I’m not familiar with) very well, but I still just don’t like him.

Why why why will people not just let the judges SPEAK!

Brooke: Fine. Boring.

I think I just really didn’t like this theme. Inspirational songs?? Meh meh. Total snoozefest.

Michael Johns: Can't avoid choosing giant rock epics. It's like a high school cover band that doesn't realize that covering Stairway to Heaven isn't nearly as cool as covering something off Led Zeppelin III. Either way, it really wasn't terrible and it was a night of terrible-ness, so I think he's allright.

Syesha: Another dumb choice. It's like these contestants are mice who just have to stick their heads in the trap. Sadly, I think she could've done way better with a less desperate stab at being a diva. She mighta had a shot. As it is, she's probably going home.

Jason Castro: Okay, first of all the only thing goofier than a white kid from a Texas church with dreadlocks... is a white kid from a Texas church playing a ukelele. Honestly, I like the IZ version of the song. But then again, so does most of the universe. Which is why it's been used in approximately 70009 commercials, 486 movies and at least one "very special episode" of ER. That being said, I wasn't crazy about his version of it. Particularly toward the end, when he started doing his own runs. Bad idea. While I struggle to see how anyone could find it "molten hot" like Randy... it wasn't awful either.

Kristy Lee Cook: Umm... she looked really hot. And giant, sweeping country epics seem to be her thing. Not sure why, but I sorta liked this one tonight. Mainly because she seemed to be doing what she wanted to do. Even it was preachy and cloying.

David Cook: Cook's apparently started drinking the "Dave Cook can do no wrong" Kool-Aid, because that was probably the douchiest performance I've seen on this show since Constantine was on it. From the terrible, terrible song choice to the bullshit marker message on his hand (which wasn't even cool Eddie Vedder did on Pearl Jam Unplugged 15 years ago)... it was all terrible. He must've gotten his schedule messed up. We're supposed to "Give Back" tomorrow night, Dave. Tonight, you were supposed to sing a good song.

Carly: Another really great Queen song rendered into soulless crap. When I hear "Show Must Go On", I think about Freddie Mercury struggling with a terrible, scary, awful, deadly illness and powering through it for one more amazing performance. I, um, don't think about Carly begging for another chance to be a famous singer. Aside from that, it did seem weirdly angry, oversung and robotic. I think Simon called it. She'll be in the bottom 3.

David A: He's a weird kid. On one hand I like him and I think he's easily the most vocally gifted out of the bunch. But he's all kinds of awkward. And not in a good George-Michael-on-Arrested-Development-kind-of-way. Either way, it was a good performance and a pretty good song selection - but it also wasn't worth the ass-kissing that the judges heaped on it.

Brooke: Brooke pretty much exemplified everything I don't like about her in one performance. Did she pick an obvious, boring song? Check. Did she add absolutely nothing to it? Check. Did she eye-fuck the camera with earnestness? Check. Was she unable to simply shut up and accept any critiquing from the judges? Check. She could also be in the bottom three.

But Syesha is probably going home.

Archived