HBO's Adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire

Werthead

Anything written in Hollywood should make you afraid. :)

Yes, well I think there is levels of fear. This is not being directed by Michael Bay. :P

I give it a 10% chance of ever seeing air.

Maybe you are right. But comic book geekdom is drivng Hollywood right now. So it's not a huge jump to produce fantasy stuff.

As for cutting out stuff. I'd be worried about aSoS. That's one huge book. AGoT is lean enough. 12 episodes sounds like a lot to me. :)

Ran linked the latest interview with Benioff on the left-hand side of the page. I just love his way of describing the series:

"The Sopranos in Middle-earth."

Hopefully people won't be expecting it to end with a sudden fade to black halfway through a climatic scene ;)

the sopranos was such a good show

i got really high hopes for this one if it does happen

ill watch wizards first rule when its out, only cause i read the first 3.5 books

i wonder how long it will last before it gets axed...i say...7 episodes :D

The news that Goodkind's stuff is going to end up on ABC every Saturday kind of worries me. Even at this very early pre-production period, any fantasy series that flops on a major network might spoil the market for something like A Song of Ice and Fire. Even if the quality between the two is hardly comparable. HBO has got to realize that the literature of A Song of Ice and Fire is a far superior source for content, and aside from being more adult-oriented, could make far more compelling television. Hopefully, HBO would not back out even if Goodkind's tv series crashes and burns. My fear is a major fantasy series flopping and muddying the waters before something exceptional has an opportunity to thrive.

My fear is a major fantasy series flopping and muddying the waters before something exceptional has an opportunity to thrive.

I really agree. The bean counters that make these decisions don't look at the content. Our only hope is that Sam Raimi takes things like this, and puts them over the top. I'm thinking Xena Warrior Princess meets Sword of Truth. Where the rape and sex scenes turn into metaphors, and the violence is ridiculous. Terry will throw a fit. Maybe his head will explode. :)

For instance, some of the speeches could be handled with Richard starting the speech. We cut to a candle that burns to the end. Cut to the crowd that's fast asleep. Richard ends speech.

• 2 weeks later...

"Gregor Clegane is a huge knight a result of experiments by Qyburn who was working on a master project to build an "undefeatable champion" . He ordered a massive suit of armor, too huge to be worn by any human, for this purpose. His extended experiments on Gregor Clegane seem to factor into the size of his final creation."

Nice...!

I could see him as the Mountain though.

"Gregor Clegane is a huge knight a result of experiments by Qyburn who was working on a master project to build an "undefeatable champion" . He ordered a massive suit of armor, too huge to be worn by any human, for this purpose. His extended experiments on Gregor Clegane seem to factor into the size of his final creation."

Nice...!

I could see him as the Mountain though.

Yeah, mensa member or no his description isn't really that accurate :P. Gregor was certainly considered huge long before any interference from Qyburn. But I still think its so cool that this guy wrote his own unmotivated application for the job. He could probably do it fine too with his experience, it will hardly be one of the most demanding parts in the series.

Yeah, mensa member or no his description isn't really that accurate :P. Gregor was certainly considered huge long before any interference from Qyburn. But I still think its so cool that this guy wrote his own unmotivated application for the job. He could probably do it fine too with his experience, it will hardly be one of the most demanding parts in the series.

Yeah I sent him a message through his webpage telling him its "A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE" not "fire and ice" and asking him if he had even read the books (from this description it seems he hasn't)

Benioff speaks! This is about a month old. But this is, I believe, the first mention of ASOIAF by Benioff in a media outlet.

In response to a question regarding what Benioff is doing right now he responds, "I’m doing a series at HBO. A crappy way of describing it would be The Sopranos in Middle Earth. I was a huge fantasy geek growing up."

Not much. But it makes me happy that he is discussing it. That means it's moving forward!

HERES THE LINK

Benioff speaks! This is about a month old. But this is, I believe, the first mention of ASOIAF by Benioff in a media outlet.

In response to a question regarding what Benioff is doing right now he responds, "I’m doing a series at HBO. A crappy way of describing it would be The Sopranos in Middle Earth. I was a huge fantasy geek growing up."

Not much. But it makes me happy that he is discussing it. That means it's moving forward!

HERES THE LINK

Actually there is a link to that interview about five posts further up-thread ;)

Archived