HBO's Adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire

Werthead

GRRM posts about the latest progress on his blog. A second draft of the pilot has been completed and HBO have made a provisional agreement with the BBC that the BBC shall co-fund and show the series in the UK if it gets greenlit. Whilst the news is very hopeful, GRRM reiterates that the show has not been officially greenlit yet.

It's exceptional news because many of us have been waiting with baited breathe due to the shakeup at HBO. We've seen the President of HBO leave as well as VP of original programming since news of the option broke. This is huge because it shows that the new team is interested in this series! They are trying to figure out how to make it work and not just throwing it aside as the bastard legacy of their predecessors. Truly great news!

As a funny side note, heres a video of a girl WAY excited about the HBO series!

That's pretty awesome news. I'm still not 100% getting my hopes up...because the TV industry is fickle...especially when it comes to spending the amount they would need to on a show like this. I hope it works out...it would be great to watch on TV. Plus, it would probably drive an increase in book sales!

P.S. How frustrated and annoyed does he sound about people sending in resumes? Thought it was pretty funny.

big and small news in the same time

the process of making the greenlights is low and according to George it's normal and i think he's wright to tell so !

Now, with this support of the BBC , we can think that it is a big step for going further !

// still hoping that it wil be greenlighted !

• 2 weeks later...

And you know what? If the series is made, I will have to wait an eternity 'till it comes out. And then it comes out on HBO. That's in the USA. I'm in Germany. Means, still more waiting. Much more waiting...I could buy the complete series 1 of Rome these days here in Germany. Wow! *sigh*

And you know what? If the series is made, I will have to wait an eternity 'till it comes out. And then it comes out on HBO. That's in the USA. I'm in Germany. Means, still more waiting. Much more waiting...I could buy the complete series 1 of Rome these days here in Germany. Wow! *sigh*

you can watch it streaming on the Net, from HBO's site or somthing like that. Even if you don't have a fast internet connection now, you will by the time the series is out. :)

However have to say; if they want the series to be popular with themainstream they will have to make concessions. FOreample, showing the Others in the first episode (waymar royca scene)will turn off many many casual viewers. (and face it, casual viewers is what makes orbreaks a series)

you can watch it streaming on the Net, from HBO's site or somthing like that. Even if you don't have a fast internet connection now, you will by the time the series is out. :)

However have to say; if they want the series to be popular with themainstream they will have to make concessions. FOreample, showing the Others in the first episode (waymar royca scene)will turn off many many casual viewers. (and face it, casual viewers is what makes orbreaks a series)

You think that would turn people off from the series? I think a scene like that would pull people into the series if done right. With the hype of the Lord of the Rings movies people are more inclined to a Fantasy series nowadays.

Market is a incalculabe thing. Possible that people think "Hey, cool, it's like LOTR!" Possible that people think "Hey fuck, more LOTR-shit!" One can never know.

HBO has live-streams? You have to pay for them, don't you?

If you can receive the BBC (in the Netherlands we can) I assume you can watch it there, 'cause they will be co-producing the show (if it ever happens of course).

You think that would turn people off from the series? I think a scene like that would pull people into the series if done right. With the hype of the Lord of the Rings movies people are more inclined to a Fantasy series nowadays.

I agree! SF/fantasy/comic book-type movies are obviously very popular and make tons of money. Otherwise, they simply wouldn't be made.

I remember having a conversation with my friends in about 1983 (we were all about 14 and playing D&D at the time :) ) about how it would be so cool if someone made a serious (and good) attempt at making a live-action LOTR. Well, we all agreed that would be great but we were somewhat pessimistic that we'd ever see it. I also chimed in and said that, once the science fiction/fantasy/comic book genres were "discovered", the flood gates would be open and A LOT of material would be made into movies. Well, sure enough, it has come to pass and much sooner than I and my pimple-faced friends ever dreamed :)

Think about it, how many "big" movies, etc. anymore don't have some fantastical element to them? I mean, it seems to me that's it's become either SF/fantasy/super hero or something about war in some part of the world and that's about it. Maybe it's just me that tunes in more to those types of movies but that's my impression :dunno: In retrospect, it makes all the sense in the world. The people making many of these movies now grew up being very into the source material and, of course, interest in it has remained with them throughout adulthood just like many of us on this board.

Anyway, I wish, when I was being so smart back then, that I would have went the extra mile to figure out how to somehow invest in the coming explosion of SF/fantasy/super hero movies! Argh! :bang:

I hope they do a wonderful job of doing this.

Look what tv did to the Mists of Avalon. I coudln't watch after the first night - too painful.

I know that Rome was wonderful.

I hope whoever works this wonderful series loves it the way Peter Jackson and the cast loved LotR. Whatever faults there are in the movie, there are some pretty wonderful scenes.

If you can receive the BBC (in the Netherlands we can) I assume you can watch it there, 'cause they will be co-producing the show (if it ever happens of course).

I don't know if we get BBC here, I will try. Thanks :)

HBO just had a session with TV critics where they discussed the showscoming out later this year as well as in develpoment and there was no mention of ASOIAIF:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TV...edule/800043005

Yeah that doesnt sound too good for ASOAIF seeing the light of day anytime soon. Though some interesting shows coming. Looking forward to the Atlantic City mob show, True Blood and also the 70s cop show.

Archived