Boxeo- The BIG one! 2nd big fight of the year; Pac-man v. Hatton, reactions!

Horus Ex Machina

• 3 weeks later...
Saw the fight. Shouted "Holy Shit!!!!" when Roy dropped Joe in the first. RJJ seemed revitalized after that and looked like he was gonna make this fight competetive. Joe had other plans though. Even after that KD, Calzaghe went after Jones with flurries from weird angles hitting both the head and the body. He basically outpunched Roy 3 or 4 to 1.

It was kinda frustating that Roy just didn't let loose a lot punches particularly since Joe didn't have much of a defense. In fact, Joe C. spent a lot of time with his hands down, doing a couple of shimmies and taunting Jones by going head first.

A very dominant performance by Joe C. had him winning every round except the first where he was dropped. Roy was just plain outgunned in this bout.

I'll have to do the replay game again. But I do have to say, for someone who is touting himself as one of the best ever, it sure as shit doesn't look good that he's getting dropped by two geriatrics earlier in fights before coming on strong. Maybe if he would've ended any of them with a knockout. OR maybe he was dominant enough for it to be a non-issue. I'll have to see the replays.

What were his comments like after the fight? Does the retirement shit seem serious?

It was a very definitive win. As dominant a performance as Hopkins' win over Pavlik or Pacquiao's over David Diaz. Calzaghe lost the first round because of the knockdown but totally outworked Jones at each and every other succeeding round. Plus he was goofing off a lot like getting within inches of Jones face with his hands down, doing an awkward little shimy to taunt his opponent as well as doing bizarre arm fakes.

Sounds interesting at the very least. Here's hoping he'll kill that retirement shit and end his career against an elite fighter in his prime, as I've been hoping for some time now. (Others might not that I've been calling RJJ a joke since before the Tito fight...still applies.)

I should never argue this shit at ESPN again. One half thinks I'm a Brit hating bigot who will never give credit where its due simply because Joe ain't an American fighter. And the Other half thinks I'm a slap loving, latte sipping, euro wannabe pussy who might even be racist since I gave the b-hop fight to Joe C.

[quote name='EHK for Obama' post='1582919' date='Nov 9 2008, 09.18']I'm a slap loving, latte sipping, euro wannabe pussy[/quote]

Sounds about right.

Let's be honest, RJJ lost that fight because he has been in the ring for five years too many. Joe didn't do anything particularly well he just has three years on Jones in a battle of fighters who were both about speed.

[quote name='EHK for Obama' post='1582913' date='Nov 9 2008, 08.41']Sounds interesting at the very least. Here's hoping he'll kill that retirement shit and end his career against an elite fighter in his prime, as I've been hoping for some time now. (Others might not that I've been calling RJJ a joke since before the Tito fight...still applies.)[/quote]

Who is there? Pavliks out after losing to Hopkins. Dawsons the only decent young fighter out there.

Dawson, Kessler and Froch were the names I heard being thrown around last night.

Congrats to Calzaghe, who soundly beat an RJJ that looked completely done by the 5th round, but I'll never get used to his punching technique, which frankly, [i]does[/i] seem rather slap-happy and reminds me of the time I held the mitts for one of my sisters to hit. It's obviously effective, but just looks strange to me.

Anyways, he's a great fighter and made RJJ look really bad, but I can't help but think that an in-his-prime Roy would've ended it in the first round after that knockdown. Probably my American-bias showing there, but I [i]am [/i] an American so fuck it.

I wasnt overly impressed with the fight myself, though I was surprised RJJ actually knocked JC down. Honestly, boxing has lost a lot of its luster to me the higher in weight class you go, not to mention Im getting tired of over-the-hill ex-greats still trying to live up the "glory years".

Im curious as I was thinking about this last night about upcoming fights...

...what are some fights you think would be "superfights" or blockbusters? Who do you want to see fight and why?

[quote name='LessThanLuke' post='1583069' date='Nov 9 2008, 11.20']Who is there? Pavliks out after losing to Hopkins. Dawsons the only decent young fighter out there.[/quote]

I was asking this question at a couple of forums last night. I kinda like Abraham if they can make the fight at 168. He's an exciting, talented fighter with good power and decent enough draw. His 'broken jaw to victory' story against Miranda played really well and could work to drum up audiences. He fights at 160 and has fought at 166, 168 shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

[quote]Im curious as I was thinking about this last night about upcoming fights...

...what are some fights you think would be "superfights" or blockbusters? Who do you want to see fight and why?[/quote]

Well the next fight of note is Ricky Hatton vs. Paulie Malignaggi. It'll be interesting to see how Hatton comes back against high end competition again (I wasn't impressed with his win over Lazcano). I know Paulie's name, but I can't say that I've seen him fight, so I can't offer much commentary there. I do know that his only loss was a punishing decision against Miguel Cotto, so there's really no shame in that.

Paul Williams is fighting some decent (and I stress only decent) competition and ever since he started putting stuff behind his punches he's been much more fun to watch. If he continues to realize that knocking people the fuck out is more exciting then brushing them with a feather 100 times a round, he'll continue to be a fighter worthed watching in the most stacked weight class (or just above it) in the game.

And December kicks off with ODH and Manny Pac. There are alot of reasons to hate this fight, from the size difference to the fact that its an irrelevant prestige fight, but I'm still morbidly curious. ODH is a likable guy even if he is no longer an elite fighter and Manny Pac is one of the most exciting, most marketable fighters in the game. I'll definitely watch it.

Vlad Klitchko and Hasim Rahman will compete to decide which fighter will kill more members of the audience via boredom. This division really needs some help. I'll probably be watching Kendall Holt v. Ricardo Torres III that same night. They always manage to create something interesting.

When it comes down to it though, there's nothing on the slate that's scheduled now that I have high expectations of being a superfight. Some good fights. Some interesting for a variety of reasons not purely related to fighting. But nothing I'm really circling a calender over.

Personally I'd like to see Cotto vs. Paul Williams. Cotto put some insane punishment down on Margarito before eventually getting knocked out and I don't think there's any other fighter in that division who could've taken in. Williams frustrated the hell out of Margarito with his constant, though mostly light ranged attack and simply would not be hit all that much himself. I see a bit of a Foreman, Frazier, Ali dynamic (Cotto Frazier/Williams Ali/Foreman Margaritto) between these three fighters, they're the elite of the best division in boxing, and I'd really like to see a few clashes.

That would probably be my ideal fight at the moment. There are other fighters that I'm curious about (David Haye's long awaited jump to heavyweight, Pavlik's eventual comeback, Berto's continued development, I've become quite partial to Arthur Abraham lately, and really anything else in the welterweight division) and of course I wouldn't mind a 4th, 5th, and 6th installment in the Marquez/Vasquez saga, than again, who wouldn't. :)

OK fight. The first three rounds especially as it looked like Jones might make it competitive. If only they could've made it 5 years ago. I would pick Roy Jones to win but it would have been one hell of a clash either way.

Roy Jones is so far past it that the fight was meaningless. It pissed me off that Calzaghe was just dancing round for 11 rounds. No class. I realise Roy Jones used to do it so couldn't complain but FFS show some respect. And if its so easy why not fight someone under 35? Though I suppose the scrappy win over Hopkins has to be re-evaluated since B-Hop outclassed Pavlik.

I hope Calzaghe doesn't retire. Chad Dawson at light heavyweight for the undisputed title would be an interesting clash. Between them they've cleaned out the division so it makes sense. Also, if Jermain Taylor beats Jeff Lacy next week then it would be set for a super middleweight bout if Calzaghe can still make the weight.

As for fights I would like to see:

The Klitschko brothers. The two best heavyweights (it remains to be seen whether Haye can back up his trash talk at heaveyweight) to finally get an undisputed champ. Not gonna happen as they both say they would never fight family.

Kelly Pavlik/Arthur Abraham at middleweight. Abraham won again on saturday, is still undefeated and is one tough sonofabitch. Pavlik should take a mandatory to get back into the swing of things and if he wins should make a fight with Abraham. It would be a hell of a fight, both guys have great knockout records.

Floyd Mayweather VS Miguel Cotto/Antonio Margarito/Shane Mosley/Paul Williams. The worlds best fighter retires without facing the four best fighters in his division, all of whom are ranked in the top 20 pound for pound in the world. What a joke.

Manny Pacquiao/Ricky Hatton. There's a reasonable chance of this happening if Manny beats De La Hoya and Hatton beats Malignaggi. It would be all action. I'd pick Pacquaio to win. Hatton would get hit every time he came in to clinch. Hell of a fight.

Izzy Vasquez/Rafael Marquez 4. Nuff said.

I want Pac-JMM III with a more definitive finish this time hopefully. My two current favorite boxers, arguably the two best in the world today, going toe to toe once more would be an awesome fight.

I'd also like Israel Vaquez-Rafael Marquez 4 coz I've only really watched snatches of their first 3 fights. Hopefully this time they get televised in my country.

For starters, it appears that Cahlzagn domianted the fight, but I have not seen it. Its a little disconcerting because it seems like Calzahgee only gets credit at the tail end of his career by fighting amazing American fighters who are passed their primes- Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. IIRC, it was Jones who was never high on fighting Cahlzagee and not the other way around. Then again... everyone loves a winner...

It seems that both men are going to retire and that leads to a really interesting question- where do they fall on the "greatest of their day" scale? Already, I have seen articles calling RJJ not [i]that [/i]great and I find that very very strange. When he burst on the scene, he defeated Hopkins and it really was nothing but the bottom of the net from there on out. He was an absolutely brutal fighter who combined brutal power with almost unimaginable hand speed and deception. I cannot tell you how many of RJJ's fights ended when he would come in with and his oppoennt would retreat... right into an oncoming RJJ punch; he would throw aleft and somehow his right would cave the opponent's cheek in. His KO of Virgil Hill is probably the most devesatting body KO I have ever seen, and Hill was a great fighter.

The biggest critisim seems to be the era he faught in- he lacked (as one person put it) the Duran to his Leonard; the Frazier to his Ali. But how is that RJJ's fault? I mean, his record is a who's who of late great and near great middleweights and Lt heavyweights of his era: Hopkins, Toney, Pazienza, Hill, McCallum, etc. Yes, it is also peppered with a bunch of "Who?" fighters, but even Muhammad Ali faught omplete nobodies at times. And watching Jones' fights now its like watching a men among boys- he is in their heads and there is nothing any of them can do about it. They are completely intimidated by his speed and his power- something I have not seen so across the board since Mike Tyson. Its as if everyone who faced Jones from 1993-2002 was Lawrence Tillman, Carl Williams and Bruce Seldon - all staring, eyes wide at their opponent, trying to ignore how utterly petrified they were.

And the KO's are just brutal. Monety Griffon's comes to mind. After losing a DQ to Griffon in their previous fight, Jones is a man on a mission and he clobbers Griffon. The second knockdown is uncomofrtbale to watch. Griffon was hit so hard, he went straight to his back, and he obviously never recovered the use of his legs; when he tries to get up its all torso, becuase Jones hit him so hard, he momentarily paralyzed the man. Griffon does a Burbek-esque dance that is equal parts terrifying and amusing. There is another fight- I have no idea the opponent -where Jones has his arms behind his backa s his (completely terrified opponent) comes in to try to do... something. Jones throws a right cross from behind his back and it lands right behind his opponent's left ear. The guy goes down and can't get his body to get back up. When you think about where Jones had to aim AND the distance the punch had to travel, its mezmerizing.

Therefore, even though the anti-RJJ talk has started, there was no fighter of his era as dominant as he was. Cahlzagee's career was a bit of a mystery to me- I really did not know too much until the Lacy fight and by then he was already considered the best on the world. Its harder to judge when he only faught in Europe. Not saying he was NOT the greatest, but it may be just that his skills deteriorated slower than Hpkins and RJJ, hence why he was able to win so easily.

For my money, I think RJJ may have been the greatest boxer of my lifetime, but I don't know how far i can reasonably argue that point.

Archived