Sweet 16

Gold Storm

I was kinda worried for you there near the end, Davidson is crazy good.

Memphis and UCLA will be a good game, with the roll that Memphis is on now I would not be surprised to see Memphis win.

Kansas ans UNC will be a great game, Kansas is going after their former coach in Roy Williams, and UNC will have to play outside of Carolina for the first time. Good team match up and the back story about facing their old coach should make this game a good one.

I was so sick and tired of the commentary from the KU v. Davidson game. Oh, they were so pushing for Davidson it wasn't even funny. And the refs! Come on! They were pushing and holding KU so much it wasn't funny. One call even the commentators were like, "That should have been a foul." Thank you, KU for winning!

I have to tell you, I need no further proof that KU will beat against UNC. KU is so good that they can go against bad refs, foul-playing teams (in other words UNC). I cannot wait until KU v. UNC. Vengence will be sweet, Roy. The only way it would be sweeter is if the game were held in Kansas City.

[quote name='Gen' post='1294084' date='Mar 30 2008, 21.27']I was so sick and tired of the commentary from the KU v. Davidson game. Oh, they were so pushing for Davidson it wasn't even funny. And the refs! Come on! They were pushing and holding KU so much it wasn't funny. One call even the commentators were like, "That should have been a foul." Thank you, KU for winning!

I have to tell you, I need no further proof that KU will beat against UNC. KU is so good that they can go against bad refs, foul-playing teams (in other words UNC). I cannot wait until KU v. UNC. Vengence will be sweet, Roy. The only way it would be sweeter is if the game were held in Kansas City.[/quote]Could your bias be even more self-evident?

[quote name='Gen' post='1294084' date='Mar 30 2008, 20.27']I was so sick and tired of the commentary from the KU v. Davidson game. Oh, they were so pushing for Davidson it wasn't even funny. And the refs! Come on! They were pushing and holding KU so much it wasn't funny. One call even the commentators were like, "That should have been a foul." Thank you, KU for winning!

I have to tell you, I need no further proof that KU will beat against UNC. KU is so good that they can go against bad refs, foul-playing teams (in other words UNC). I cannot wait until KU v. UNC. Vengence will be sweet, Roy. The only way it would be sweeter is if the game were held in Kansas City.[/quote]

Dude, your team won. Enjoy the moment and realize that Davidson was having a great tourney run that was entirely unexpected...so of course there was probably a bit of "rooting for the little guy" from the commentators.

Final Four predictions ladies and gentlemen?

I know in our brackets, I have UCLA winning it all facing NC in the finals. Well Im sticking to it with this provision: UCLA only wins if, and only if Shipp starts shooting the ball the way he used to...lights out. I dont know if Collison and Love can carry the team on their backs one more time without Shipp stepping up against Memphis.

Kansas had trouble with Davidson...so Im sticking with NC for this one.

YW

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1293737' date='Mar 30 2008, 11.59']Oh it's completely the people who pick the location of the sites. I don't understand how NC can be the East regional one year and the South the next. They always (try to) pimp the NCAA as more impartial, but now they're so interested in selling tickets that they've gone away from that. I thought last year our game against UCLA was ridiculous, but they had only 65-70% of the fans there. Last night UNC probably had around 90% - this was inarguably a home game.

That said, your boys still came up big. Stopped a big Louisville run, and held on down the stretch. Very good game.[/quote]
Well, I won't argue with that. NC can't help being a big money market for college basketball :D. And we are technically in the East and the South, but I get that that's not your argument. I do agree with your complaint about UCLA getting to play in California despite being the 2 seed and you guys being the 1. One seeds should be favored in terms of site placement.

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1294060' date='Mar 30 2008, 19.51']I do hope Roy is so nervous that he can't take a shit all week. :box:

Is anybody else getting sick of Calipari's shtick?[/quote]
Well, I'm not sure about Roy, but I get nervous just thinking about it. I can only imagine it's just as bad for Self. Constantly living in Roy's shadow, and only just now getting over that EE hump to have to have to meet your predecessor in the next stage.

Calipari has seemed really whiny in some of the snippets I've caught of him on Sportscenter. What schtick are you talking about?
[quote name='Gen' post='1294084' date='Mar 30 2008, 20.27']I have to tell you, I need no further proof that KU will beat against UNC. KU is so good that they can go against bad refs, foul-playing teams (in other words UNC). I cannot wait until KU v. UNC. Vengence will be sweet, Roy. The only way it would be sweeter is if the game were held in Kansas City.[/quote]
Bitter much? Though I will admit that if our football team ever got to be as good as our basketball program and we had a shot at Texas, I would love to pound them into the ground. (If not for the Mack Brown factor, at least for the sole purpose of satiating my hatred against Texas) Considering that that's not likely to happen anytime soon, I'm content with just ignoring the existence of Mack Brown and laughing at anything bad that goes their way.

Anyway, I hope things don't get too ugly before the game next week. Despite the obvious animosity that's sure to arise between our fanbases, this game is bound to be fantastic. Two really great programs and teams going at it for the final championship game. I have a feeling that these next two games will be something to talk about for a long time.

I haven't gone back to look at anyone's bracket, but did anyone pick all the 1 seeds to advance?

Okay... so I'm guessing I wasn't alone thinking that with 16.8 seconds to play, down two, and the ball in their hands; Davidson was a lock just by sheer cosmic karma or some such.

When KU missed that shot I remember thinking, "Well... REG/CEJ won't be happy right now."

I was truly surprised that Davidson didn't get a better shot at the end, I really think they could have drawn up a better play than that and I also think that Curry could have spun under the Kansas defender early in the play and gotten a shot off and maybe had a rebound opportunity. But that's why the play the games and in the end, the better team beat the amazingly hot phenom.

My final four had the three top seeds and Texas. I had UCLA over Kansas for the final. I'm really having to rethink that one, but for now I'll stick with it. Memphis really is playing some hot basketball right now.

**yawn**

Okay, so the Final Four has 3 of the "royalty" teams of college basketball in it. How about some other news around the country? Tony Bennett has [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3321105"]decided not to take the IU job[/url] and stay in the comfey Pac-10 and Isiah Thomsas says [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3320987"]Dan Dakich should get the job.[/url] ESPN says that IU would like to have a coach in place before the Final Four; I think that's moving kind of quick if they aren't looking at internal candidates. But, once your target coach is out of the tourney, these things can run pretty quick I suppose.

In somewhat interesting news [url="http://www.kentucky.com/101/story/361937.html"]American Idol is no match for Kentucky Basketball.[/url]

[quote]The University of Kentucky had a lot of close basketball games this year, but how would it do in a matchup against America's most popular TV show?

American Idol's allure doesn't necessarily top that of the Wildcats, based on regional television ratings during the February sweeps month.

Early in the American Idol season, the Fox show scored a 10 rating for its Idol's Best of the Rest episode while the UK-Auburn game got a 28 when they went head-to-head on Feb. 6.

The next week, without the Cats playing on Wednesday, Idol got a 14 rating and Southeastern Conference basketball got a 4. Idol's highest rating in February was a 22.[/quote]

And Bruce Pearl complains that Kentucky gets on CBS too much. Hmph.

Gotta love how the Tourny Pick Em works out. Memphis wins the whole thing. I win the shebang. Doesn't matter what else happens in the other game. If Memphis loses to UCLA, I end up damn near at the bottom.....

I like that, one roll of the dice, one shot, one final charge.... all or nothing. GO Tigers and my lil homeboy, Derrick Rose!

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1294335' date='Mar 31 2008, 03.10']I haven't gone back to look at anyone's bracket, but did anyone pick all the 1 seeds to advance?[/quote]

I had Louisville, Kansas, UCLA, and Texas in one and Tennessee, Kansas, UCLA, and PITT in another one. My lack of faith in Memphis and UNC has come back to haunt me. The one Memphis game I saw all year before the tourney they didn't look that great, Pitt looked good coming in and I've seen Texas look unbeatable. As for UNC, I figured I needed an upset in there somewhere and Louisville and UT are tough teams.

Memphis is looking great, but I wonder if they can continue to play with a chip on their shoulder like they have been playing? UCLA can slow the game down,; however, if they lay like they did against WKU or A&M this game belong to Memphis.

Kansas ans UNC should be a fun game, back story of Roy Williams and two very good teams with some great histories playing each other. I am not sure who I think will win yet, should be a good basketball weekend though.

[quote name='Blaine vingt et trois' post='1295076' date='Mar 31 2008, 14.23']As a Memphian, I am so required to give a shit about this now, but I'm having trouble finding inspiration.[/quote]

Is Memphian even a word? ;) What about a Memphis-ite?

As I alluded to with the earlier post... the coaching carosel has begun to turn...

[url="http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10751575/rss"]WKU's Darrin Horn[/url] has decided to strike while the iron is hot and take the South Carolina job. Probably a good move for him, with the seniors leaving the team after this year... his prospects will never be higher.

And Stephen Curry has said he's coming back, but coach Bob McKillop is apparently being [url="http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/03/31/stephen-curry-will-stay-at-davidson-what-about-coach-bob-mckil/"]wooed by Rice.[/url] (???!!!???) I gotta figure McKillop's stock will be going above Rice level if he can ride the Curry train for one more year. Unless a bigger school than Rice comes calling this year, I gotta think he stays put.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1293882' date='Mar 30 2008, 13.38']If I were UCLA, I'd be a little scared.[/quote]
Just a [i]little[/i] bit. Not enough to get on the Memphis bandwagon though.

As far as predictions are concerned, I'm going with UCLA over Memphis and UNC over Kansas (although my bracket says otherwise).

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1295130' date='Mar 31 2008, 14.59']Just a [i]little[/i] bit. Not enough to get on the Memphis bandwagon though.

As far as predictions are concerned, I'm going with UCLA over Memphis and UNC over Kansas (although my bracket says otherwise).[/quote]

Out of all the 1 seeds I feel as though I've heard the least about Kansas during the tourney. I'm hoping they come in with a chip on thier shoulder against media darling UNC. Oh, how I've seen it happen again and again and been on both sides of it. Both of these teams are awesome, let's see who is hungrier.

[quote name='Mad John 20/20' post='1295151' date='Mar 31 2008, 12.17']Both of these teams are awesome, let's see who is hungrier.[/quote]
I really really [i]want[/i] Kansas to pull it off, but I'm not sure they can. Either way, yeah, it's going to be a great game.

I feel kind of bad...I'm spending the weekend with my mom in San Diego and she was a little disappointed when I mentioned I want to watch two basketball games on Saturday afternoon...

[quote name='Arbor Gold' post='1295166' date='Mar 31 2008, 16.28']I really really [i]want[/i] Kansas to pull it off, but I'm not sure they can. Either way, yeah, it's going to be a great game.

I feel kind of bad...I'm spending the weekend with my mom in San Diego and she was a little disappointed when I mentioned I want to watch two basketball games on Saturday afternoon...[/quote]

It can be wonderful Mother/Daughter bonding time!

[quote name='Triskele' post='1295118' date='Mar 31 2008, 12.48']I am a little surprised that Washington State's Tony Bennett wouldn't want the IU job. Is it because he really likes WSU or becuase there's something about IU that he doesn't like? I would have thought this would be an ideal year for Bennett to bolt. He is one of the most talked about up and coming coaches in the nation. He just lost a bunch of senior from the core that gave him the last two years. Perfect time to bounce you would think.

I know some crazy stuff has gone on at IU the last few years but from the outside, it still looks like a great job to me.[/quote]

People are happy in Pullman with a 10 win season, they are ecstatic with what he has been doing so far. At IU you [b]HAVE TO BE[/b] in the final four or it has been a bad season, also there are probably things going on in the back ground that makes WAZZU a better job right now than IU. The last three coaches getting fired and a lot of pressure from the boosters and fans, the program is in a mess.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1294957' date='Mar 31 2008, 14.05']Memphis is looking great, but I wonder if they can continue to play with a chip on their shoulder like they have been playing? UCLA can slow the game down,; however, if they lay like they did against WKU or A&M this game belong to Memphis.

Kansas ans UNC should be a fun game, back story of Roy Williams and two very good teams with some great histories playing each other. I am not sure who I think will win yet, should be a good basketball weekend though.[/quote]UNC and Kansas programs have [i]many[/i] historical ties (perhaps more than any other basketball programs) it seems, so while I definitely want UNC to win it all, I would not be terribly upset if Kansas won it.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1295118' date='Mar 31 2008, 12.48']I am a little surprised that Washington State's Tony Bennett wouldn't want the IU job. Is it because he really likes WSU or becuase there's something about IU that he doesn't like? I would have thought this would be an ideal year for Bennett to bolt. He is one of the most talked about up and coming coaches in the nation. He just lost a bunch of senior from the core that gave him the last two years. Perfect time to bounce you would think.

I know some crazy stuff has gone on at IU the last few years but from the outside, it still looks like a great job to me.[/quote]

IU hoops is like Alabama football, what sort of dumbass masochist would want that job?

Archived