Sweet 16

Gold Storm

[quote name='Triskele' post='1295361' date='Mar 31 2008, 15.18']I'm curious as a Pac-10 fan whether Tony is really happy at WSU and will be there a long time or if he really just doesn't like the IU job but would leave for another one he preferred.[/quote]

He might be trying to build up WSU program, before he got there it was nothing and now its a good program. They are happy with him, so he might want to stay there for now, or he just did not like the situation at IU (It is like Alabama football).

First off Gen is a self admitted K-State fan that is pulling for KU because they're an in-state team.

Second, he's kind of right about the officiating. I'm going to say this as non-homerly as possible - I can recall [b]five[/b] separate occasions in which the announces said the refs blew a call that should have gone our way. I cannot recall a game wear the announces called the refs out like that. (I can only recall one instance when they said the refs missed a call in KU's favor)

Third, anybody that thinks KU doesn't stand a chance against UNC because we had a tight game against Davidson is, to put it bluntly, a moron.

Davidson was ranked 23rd in the country going into the tourney, on a 22 game winning streak entering the tourney, lost by only 4 against UNC in Charlotte, lost to Duke by only 6, and they beat two damn good teams in the tourney (Georgetown and Wisconsin) plus and OK Gonzaga team.

Forth, Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly [url="http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10751902"]the Lopez twins are going to league.[/url]

Fifth, I'm surprised that Bennett didn't jump at the IU job. That is a massive step up from WSU, and how hard would it be to follow the crapfest that was the Kelvin Sampson era. He already has the Big 11 basketball style down to a tee. (of course with him and Howland, will the Pac 10 become the new Big 11?? Hopefully when Lute retires they hire an uptempo coach. One more slow the game down coach and I fear the conference is doomed.)

Six, I think Rice is a pretty big step up from Davidson, but I'd be surprised if the coach leaves. He's not a spring chicken, and he should be able to parlay this season into a decent raise without having to switch schools and start over.

I think that about wraps everything nonspecific up - now on to specific comments. (I missed way to much activity on this thread when I was at work! :thumbsdown: )

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1294335' date='Mar 31 2008, 02.10']Well, I'm not sure about Roy, but I get nervous just thinking about it. I can only imagine it's just as bad for Self. Constantly living in Roy's shadow, and only just now getting over that EE hump to have to have to meet your predecessor in the next stage.

Calipari has seemed really whiny in some of the snippets I've caught of him on Sportscenter. What schtick are you talking about?

I haven't gone back to look at anyone's bracket, but did anyone pick all the 1 seeds to advance?[/quote]

I was referring to his whinny "us against the world" shtick. I hope Howland whoops him good (or I'd be very glad to have coach Self do the honors).

I only had two #1's advancing.

I doubt Self is too worried about facing Roy. KU is his program now, and losing in an all #1 seed final four is not shameful for any coach. Now that he's got that F4 monkey off his back I think the team will play much more loosely this weekend.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1294414' date='Mar 31 2008, 05.20']Okay... so I'm guessing I wasn't alone thinking that with 16.8 seconds to play, down two, and the ball in their hands; Davidson was a lock just by sheer cosmic karma or some such.

When KU missed that shot I remember thinking, "Well... REG/CEJ won't be happy right now."

[b]I was truly surprised that Davidson didn't get a better shot at the end[/b], I really think they could have drawn up a better play than that and I also think that Curry could have spun under the Kansas defender early in the play and gotten a shot off and maybe had a rebound opportunity. But that's why the play the games and in the end, the better team beat the amazingly hot phenom.[/quote]

That was the longest 16.8 seconds of my life.

I'm really ready to change my user name back, but I'm sticking with this one through the rest of the tourney.

The last shot was crap because of smart defensive play on the part of Collins. His move on the last play made up for his crappy night offensively.

In fact, only Chalmers and Kaun had good offensive games. Davidson's defense was phenomenal. I know UNC has been playing better defense of late, but I'm not sure they'll be able to frustrate us as much as Davidson did.

[quote name='Blaine vingt et trois' post='1295076' date='Mar 31 2008, 12.23']As a Memphian, I am so required to give a shit about this now, but I'm having trouble finding inspiration.[/quote]

My condolences. I live in Memphis for three and a half years. The day I moved was one of the best days of my life.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1294974' date='Mar 31 2008, 11.15']I would love to see (and I know the media would too) North Carolina v. UCLA. I'd like to watch Hansbrough's fire go up against Love's ice.[/quote]

[quote name='Mad John 20/20' post='1295151' date='Mar 31 2008, 13.17']Out of all the 1 seeds I feel as though I've heard the least about Kansas during the tourney. I'm hoping they come in with a chip on thier shoulder against media darling UNC. Oh, how I've seen it happen again and again and been on both sides of it. Both of these teams are awesome, let's see who is hungrier.[/quote]

I think the media is salivating over that matchup, and I hope KU does get that "us against the world" mentality that Calipari has shoved down his players throats, because it has served the Tigers very well so far.

Holy crap, longest post ever, by me? I may have had a longer one in the "Fantasy Recommendation Thread", but I'm not sure if it was that much longer. My wrists are tingly... The sad thing is I think I left some stuff out which I'll remember after I hit post.

[quote name='Mad John 20/20' post='1294656' date='Mar 31 2008, 10.59']I had Louisville, Kansas, UCLA, and Texas in one and Tennessee, Kansas, UCLA, and PITT in another one. My lack of faith in Memphis and UNC has come back to haunt me. The one Memphis game I saw all year before the tourney they didn't look that great, Pitt looked good coming in and I've seen Texas look unbeatable. As for UNC, I figured I needed an upset in there somewhere and Louisville and UT are tough teams.[/quote]
A lot of people fell into the Pitt trap (including Bobby Knight). Luckily, Texas was in there to help save my bracket for a couple of rounds or else I would have gone with Pitt as well. I think I'm at 50 percent for the FF in our pool. My bracket is pretty much busted unless we win the natty.
[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1295616' date='Mar 31 2008, 23.30']First off Gen is a self admitted K-State fan that is pulling for KU because they're an in-state team.[/quote]
Ah, that was the character you had a little spat with in the last thread? I must not have recognized the name. I usually see the AV first. Gen, are you sure you're not somewhat of a KU fan? ;) I've never seen a rival fan so defensive on behalf of their other rival. Me, personally, I would never cheer NC State or Duke to win anything regardless of state allegiances. But eh, that's me.

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1295616' date='Mar 31 2008, 23.30']Forth, Unfortunately, but not unexpectedly [url="http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10751902"]the Lopez twins are going to league.[/url][/quote]
What do Stanford fans think about this? I'm actually a little surprised that they declared. Where are they predicted to go in the draft?

[quote]I was referring to his whinny "us against the world" shtick. I hope Howland whoops him good (or I'd be very glad to have coach Self do the honors).[/quote]
I had to roll my eyes at most of his pressers. Goodness man, you won, you've advanced, quit whining. You would think that as a coach, he would learn to ignore most of the stuff the media says. Just win, and that's good enough to shut everyone up.

[quote]I think the media is salivating over that matchup, and I hope KU does get that "us against the world" mentality that Calipari has shoved down his players throats, because it has served the Tigers very well so far.[/quote]
Yes, that worries me. The media has really made KU into the underdog for this upcoming game. Just catching some of the predictions from analysts on the radio and TV alike, it seems most people have us as the favorite. That would definitely add fuel to KU's team when we play them.

On another note, Taylor King from Duke is [url="http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=742312&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f742312.html"]transferring.[/url]
Things aren't looking good for the dukies.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1295628' date='Mar 31 2008, 21.00']RedEyedGhost - You have made a post that has shaken the very foundation of the board...

That being said, I think KU is getting the least hype of the four for a few reasons and they're not necessarily reasons that suggest they are the underdog: No marquee player. I mean they have them but is there a significant difference between Rush, Chalmers, Robinson, Arthur, etcc....you have great depth but no one stannds out enough for the media....

No Love: Kevin Love is becoming transcendent. You know that fake commercial with LeBron sinking jumpers from full-court? Love is doing it in real life.

Hype: As some have railed against, Hansbrough is getting all the media love. Causse he's white? I don't know, but he does get crazy attention.

Memphis: Holy shitk, their regional final made everyone rethink their idea that they were too untested,[/quote]

I really wish the media would pimp one of our guys. Anyone of them. Because that inevitably gets into the refs heads, and that 'superstar' advantage that none of our players have right now.

It looks like good old Eddie Hightower will be reffing the F4. Look for all sorts of bad calls. After one of our games against Missouri a [url="http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=172#s=172&f=3725&t=1884620"]photoshop thread was created in his honor[/url] at phog.net. He was brutal in that game, and the phoggies retaliated with some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.

If we lose to UNC, I hope that UCLA beat Memphis. Because I wouldn't mind seeing Hansbrough-Love. It is amazing watching Tyler out athletic bigger players. Padgett made him look tiny, but he still had a couple monster dunks. The dunk on Kenny George was fantastic (even though he "got a running start" :P) Love is listed at 6'10", Hansbrough at 6'8", but I imagine Love would dwarf him.

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1295672' date='Mar 31 2008, 23.20']A lot of people fell into the Pitt trap (including Bobby Knight). Luckily, Texas was in there to help save my bracket for a couple of rounds or else I would have gone with Pitt as well. I think I'm at 50 percent for the FF in our pool. My bracket is pretty much busted unless we win the natty.[/quote]

I think Bobby Knight is the reason a lot of people fell into the Pitt trap - it's what got me

[quote name='LL']Ah, that was the character you had a little spat with in the last thread? I must not have recognized the name. I usually see the AV first. Gen, are you sure you're not somewhat of a KU fan? ;) I've never seen a rival fan so defensive on behalf of their other rival. Me, personally, I would never cheer NC State or Duke to win anything regardless of state allegiances. But eh, that's me.[/quote]

I would never, I repeat never cheer for Missouri, but I don't mind cheering for KSU [i]every once in a blue moon[/i]. I don't really feel any enmity towards their fans/teams, even though the fans have been brutal the past two years between Huggy and Beasley. I do have some family members that went to KSU and I like to give them a lot of shit at the holidays.

[quote name='LL']What do Stanford fans think about this? I'm actually a little surprised that they declared. Where are they predicted to go in the draft?[/quote]

I know one of them is projected lottery, and the other one is between 12 and 25 one most draft boards. I don't know which is supposed to be better though :P

[quote name='LL']I had to roll my eyes at most of his pressers. Goodness man, you won, you've advanced, quit whining. You would think that as a coach, he would learn to ignore most of the stuff the media says. Just win, and that's good enough to shut everyone up.[/quote]

The media eats that stuff, though, so he'll keep spouting it out.

[quote name='LL']Yes, that worries me. The media has really made KU into the underdog for this upcoming game. Just catching some of the predictions from analysts on the radio and TV alike, it seems most people have us as the favorite. That would definitely add fuel to KU's team when we play them.[/quote]

We're getting some media love. Bilas picked us to win it all this morning, but he's been saying that all year, so he's just sticking to his guns. I really just hope we avoid the Seth Davis kiss of death. Every time he picks us to win anything we inevitably lose. Erin Andrews picked us to win at the start of the tourney, and she's picked the last two champions correctly (of course she is a UF grad ;))

[quote name='LL']On another note, Taylor King from Duke is [url="http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=742312&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f742312.html"]transferring.[/url]
Things aren't looking good for the dukies.[/quote]

Not really a big loss. He is the "Dollar Menunaire" version of a McDonald's AA. I'm still waiting to see if Kzihczshhezchsihchzhshhiihczhdo can guilt Singler into staying another year.

OT: LL are you in NC? Because your post always seem to pop up right before my "bedtime", and I'm in mountain time!

[quote name='Lady Lint' post='1295672' date='Mar 31 2008, 22.20']What do Stanford fans think about this? I'm actually a little surprised that they declared. Where are they predicted to go in the draft?[/quote]

Not thrilled, we're going to be... well, not very good next year. But I think we all knew it was coming. Brook is projected to go top 3 in the draft, and Robin is projected late first/early second. I think they'll both be good NBA players, and I hope they kick ass. But it's too bad to see them go.

The Lopez twins should go high in the draft, they are tall, big, and strong.

I think you will see some changes at Duke coming up, they need to add some size get a big bruiser rebounder. Coach K has been way too much in love with McDonald's all Americans, a couple are good for a team but eight is just too many (too many chefs not enough cooks). They need a middle man a basher and thrasher.

Couple of things... [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323131"]Mr. Wildcat, Bill Keightley passed away last night.[/url] He has been the equipment manager for UK since 1972 and had been with the university for 48 years. His tenure goes back to the Adolph Rupp days. The sheer amount of basketball knowledge that we lost last night is staggering. One of my dreams has been to sit down to a dinner with Mr. Keightley and just listen to him tell stories of the things he has seen over the years. Truly, the state of Kentucky and all of college basketball is a bit poorer today than yesterday.

And in other news... Kansas and Kentucky prepare for millions and millions of dollars to be thrown at their coaches with the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323779"]resignation of Sean Sutton[/url] at Oklahoma State. There have been rumors for months that a wealthy alum of OSU wants to offer Self or Gillispie 3.5 mil a year to coach the Cowboys. I don't think they'll pry either one away... but its amazing that they'll try.

I had read one discussion on underclassmen in the draft that encouraged Robin Lopez to stay in school and develop his offensive game in the absence of his brother (who the article said should declare). It certainly is a big loss for Stanford.

I mentioned it before, but there is an argument out there that Duke doesn't get McDonald's AA's... they start recruiting high school juniors who then benefit from huge publicity and make the MickeyD's game their senior year. Thereby artificially creating the number of McD's AA's on the team. Its an interesting argument. I do wonder how the McD's team is selected... Scotty Hopson of University Heights here in Kentucky was named to the AA team, but wasn't even selected as player of the year [i]for his region[/i] in Kentucky. And Darius Miller is the favorite to be Mr. Basketball for the state this year.

Lastly... I've got UCLA over Kansas in my bracket, but I'm still pulling for Kansas! Not only is it Adolph Rupp's alma mater... we have to stop the winning of UNC, they're getting too close on the all-time wins list! And UCLA doesn't need any more titles until Kentucky can pick up one or two more on them.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1296232' date='Apr 1 2008, 12.49']Lastly... I've got UCLA over Kansas in my bracket, but I'm still pulling for Kansas! Not only is it Adolph Rupp's alma mater... we have to stop the winning of UNC, they're getting too close on the all-time wins list! And UCLA doesn't need any more titles until Kentucky can pick up one or two more on them.[/quote]That's why you are pulling against UNC? :rofl:

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1296312' date='Apr 1 2008, 14.31']That's why you are pulling against UNC? :rofl:[/quote]

As if I needed any other reasons! I think the difference stands at about 20 right now. Even if Gillispie gets the Cats back up to a semi-respectable 25 wins next year... if UNC wins 33 again, we're down near single digits!!! Really, as long as Kentucky stays in front long enough to reach 2000 wins (they're at 1966 right now I believe) I'll be okay. Big media hype for the 2K number and all.

As an additional reason... if you add UNC's and Duke's championships together they have seven, Kentucky has seven also. I like to be able to say that Kentucky has as many as those two schools [i]combined[/i] whenever I get into a basketball discussion with a fan from out east! ;)

Carolina did briefly pull ahead of Kentucky in all-time wins sometime around the probation era of 89-91. Kentucky moved ahead again during the glory days of the mid-90's and then Matt Daugherty really let us open the lead, then Tubby let the Tarheels get close again. Oh, how I yearn for the Matt Daugherty years!!! :rofl:

And the answer for IU is... [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3324439"]Tom Crean.[/url]

Interesting choice. I hadn't heard his name pop up in association with the job... but it probably should have been. I can't believe I never thought about him for the job. Not a bad hire at all for IU... now he just needs to prove that he wasn't just the Dwayne Wade show.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1296232' date='Apr 1 2008, 12.49']And in other news... Kansas and Kentucky prepare for millions and millions of dollars to be thrown at their coaches with the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323779"]resignation of Sean Sutton[/url] at Oklahoma State. There have been rumors for months that a wealthy alum of OSU wants to offer Self or Gillispie 3.5 mil a year to coach the Cowboys. I don't think they'll pry either one away... but its amazing that they'll try.[/quote]

Donovan might be a prime candidate. One NIT season shouldn't kill his credentials and he seems unhappy with the way the season is headed. At Okie State he might escape football's shadow if he finds real success. For all that Eddie Sutton did, Okie State never really became an annual national title contender.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1296706' date='Apr 1 2008, 15.27']And the answer for IU is... [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3324439"]Tom Crean.[/url]

Interesting choice. I hadn't heard his name pop up in association with the job... but it probably should have been. I can't believe I never thought about him for the job. Not a bad hire at all for IU... now he just needs to prove that he wasn't just the Dwayne Wade show.[/quote]

If they do get Tom Crean, are the two guys the interim coach just kick off the team still gone, or can the new coach get them back on the team?

[quote]I mentioned it before, but there is an argument out there that Duke doesn't get McDonald's AA's... they start recruiting high school juniors who then benefit from huge publicity and make the MickeyD's game their senior year. Thereby artificially creating the number of McD's AA's on the team. Its an interesting argument. I do wonder how the McD's team is selected... Scotty Hopson of University Heights here in Kentucky was named to the AA team, but wasn't even selected as player of the year for his region in Kentucky. And Darius Miller is the favorite to be Mr. Basketball for the state this year.[/quote]

I had not thought about this, but it makes a lot of sense. In football some of the five star recruits are only five starts because some big school wants them. Then they get outperformed by somebody else that was not recruited as high.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1296764' date='Apr 1 2008, 19.29']If they do get Tom Crean, are the two guys the interim coach just kick off the team still gone, or can the new coach get them back on the team?[/quote]

On Pardon the Interruption last night (recorded before the Crean story broke) they did talk about this. They were discussing it from the angle of "Should Dakich be doing this if he doesn't know that he has the job?" Their point seemed to be that he had to [i]act[/i] like the head coach even if he isn't going to [i]be[/i] the head coach. I'd say that Crean will meet with them and decide what to do going forward.

[quote name='Celtigo']Donovan might be a prime candidate. One NIT season shouldn't kill his credentials and he seems unhappy with the way the season is headed. At Okie State he might escape football's shadow if he finds real success. For all that Eddie Sutton did, Okie State never really became an annual national title contender.[/quote]

As to Donovan going to Ok State... I dunno. If the prestige of Kentucky and the money of Orlando weren't enough to pull him away from Florida, I don't know how Ok State would get him. I'd say that Grant out at VCU, Ford at UMass, and Xavier's Sean Miller have to be the hot coaches for the remaining [i]big[/i] jobs at LSU, Ok State, and now Marquette.

One last point of discussion I'd like to bring up... Stephen Curry has been named a [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323898"]finalist for the Wooden Award.[/url] I havn't seen any story out there on [i]when[/i] the balloting was done, but I would have to think that it was during the NCAA tournament at some point. Do you think that the notoriety of a four game stretch should be able to catapult you onto a post-season award list like this? If Davidson had lost to Gonzaga in the first round, my money says Curry isn't on this list.

I was very impressed with [url="http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaw/recap;_ylt=Ap8OhaEj.YFT.05YDm32dJJMvrYF?gid=200804010580"]Candace Parker[/url] last night. She dislocated her left shoulder near the end of the first half, and then returned and played a great game. Now, I am not going to lie, if I dislocated my shoulder, they would have to pick me up off the floor and then carry back to locker room. There would be noway that I would have returned to the game, especially basketball were you use your shoulder a lot. Tennessee came from behind and gutted out a win against A&M and will now head into the Final Four.

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1295616' date='Mar 31 2008, 21.30']First off Gen is a self admitted K-State fan that is pulling for KU because they're an in-state team.

Second, he's kind of right about the officiating. I'm going to say this as non-homerly as possible - I can recall [b]five[/b] separate occasions in which the announces said the refs blew a call that should have gone our way. I cannot recall a game wear the announces called the refs out like that. (I can only recall one instance when they said the refs missed a call in KU's favor)[/quote]

You are correct about everything, except one important thing. I'm a she. I really hope it's good game between UNC and KU, but KU wins. I will have you know all my MU friends are rooting against Kansas. Isn't that a surprise.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1296232' date='Apr 1 2008, 10.49']And in other news... Kansas and Kentucky prepare for millions and millions of dollars to be thrown at their coaches with the [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3323779"]resignation of Sean Sutton[/url] at Oklahoma State. There have been rumors for months that a wealthy alum of OSU wants to offer Self or Gillispie 3.5 mil a year to coach the Cowboys. I don't think they'll pry either one away... but its amazing that they'll try.[/quote]

I hadn't heard they were interested in Gillispie; I don't know why they think they could get him either. UK / OSU... UK / OSU... UK >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OSU. The only reason they even think they have a shot at Self is because that's where he went to school and played he ball there. KU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OSU.

It's all about the money though, and T. Boone Pickens is the one backing OSU. I guess he's some super rich oil guy. Lew Perkins has already promised Self to rework his contract at the end of the year - even though Self just got a big raise last year.

[quote name=' ']I mentioned it before, but there is an argument out there that Duke doesn't get McDonald's AA's... they start recruiting high school juniors who then benefit from huge publicity and make the MickeyD's game their senior year. Thereby artificially creating the number of McD's AA's on the team. Its an interesting argument. I do wonder how the McD's team is selected... Scotty Hopson of University Heights here in Kentucky was named to the AA team, but wasn't even selected as player of the year [i]for his region[/i] in Kentucky. And Darius Miller is the favorite to be Mr. Basketball for the state this year.[/quote]

I've said that before in these threads as well. The Duke McDAAs are the "Dollar Menunaires" of the game (I'm so trying to get that crappy McDs marketing campaign to stick about them). Obviously not all of them are - Singler was the real deal.

[quote name='rhombencephalon' post='1296706' date='Apr 1 2008, 15.27']And the answer for IU is... [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3324439"]Tom Crean.[/url]

Interesting choice. I hadn't heard his name pop up in association with the job... but it probably should have been. I can't believe I never thought about him for the job. Not a bad hire at all for IU... now he just needs to prove that he wasn't just the Dwayne Wade show.[/quote]

I think Crean's a good choice. He's not just developed Wade; he did a good job with Diener and James as well. After Self he and Mark Few were my 3rd and 2nd choices.

[quote name='Celtigo' post='1296727' date='Apr 1 2008, 15.54']Donovan might be a prime candidate. One NIT season shouldn't kill his credentials and he seems unhappy with the way the season is headed. At Okie State he might escape football's shadow if he finds real success. For all that Eddie Sutton did, Okie State never really became an annual national title contender.[/quote]

I would be [i]very[/i] surprised if they could lure Donovan. I know he likes his $, but UF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OSU. (I think I'm starting to see a pattern here :P)

I think OSU should shoot for somebody like Xavier's Sean Miller or VCU's Anthony Grant.

[quote name='Gen' post='1297487' date='Apr 2 2008, 07.36']You are correct about everything, except one important thing. [b]I'm a she.[/b] I really hope it's good game between UNC and KU, but KU wins. I will have you know all my MU friends are rooting against Kansas. Isn't that a surprise.[/quote]

My apologies, your icon didn't pop up pink when I clicked on your name, so I made the good old internet assumption.

MU fans would much rather see KU lose then win themselves. If there's a more pathetic collective fan base I've yet to see it. I enjoy a good MU loss as much as the next guy, but I would [i]never[/i] sacrifice a KU win for one.

The difference between KSU and MU is that if KSU was playing for an NC I would whole heartedly root for them, if MU was I would whole heartedly root for whomever they were playing.

[quote name='CrimsonEyedJayhawk' post='1297591' date='Apr 2 2008, 11.38']It's all about the money though, and T. Boone Pickens is the one backing OSU. I guess he's some super rich oil guy. Lew Perkins has already promised Self to rework his contract at the end of the year - even though Self just got a big raise last year.[/quote]

Dude is super rich. I remember he donated a ton of money to Ok St. I wish Northwestern had a rich alum like that.

[quote]In recent years, Pickens has focused his energy on his alma mater, the Stillwater campus of Oklahoma State University (OSU). Through his contributions, Pickens has spearheaded an effort to create an athletic village just north of the existing campus. In order to do so, hundreds of homes were purchased by the OSU administration using Pickens' contributions. Pickens' gift remains the largest donation to a university's athletic program in collegiate history. His total contributions to OSU come to over $290 million dollars. Over $265 million, or 92%, of his donations have been towards athletics.[/quote]

And

[quote]On December 30, 2005, Pickens made a $165 million gift to Oklahoma State University. The New York Times reported that "the money spent less than an hour on December 30 in the account of the university's charity, O.S.U. Cowboy Golf Inc., before it was invested in a hedge fund controlled by Mr. Pickens, BP Capital Management." [1] Pickens, who is on the board of the O.S.U. Cowboy Golf, waived any management fees for the OSU monies, however, and all profits of the fund go to growing the OSU gift. The gift is intended to help fund an upgrade of the football stadium and construction of an athletic village, but sparked controversy because OSU planned to use eminent domain to acquire residential property for the projects[/quote]

That program is getting a serious upgrade.

The same guy is trying to build up the Okie football program. He has been giving a lot of money to the college to make it into a big time sports program. He will trow a ton of money to get a major coach for the basketball team.

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/03/25/hoop.thoughts/index.html"]SI.com[/url] a couple weeks ago, Seth Davis chimed in on the situation before Sutton resigned.

[quote name=''Seth Davis'']• On another Kansas-related note, I am still hearing that Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder is considering jettisoning Sean Sutton so he can make a run at Bill Self, an OSU alum. And if Holder can't get Self, word is he's deeply interested in Kentucky's Billy Gillispie. Why would Holder think he could pry away coaches from two of the most storied programs in college basketball history? Because he has Boone Pickens, the billionaire alumnus who donated $165 million to the Oklahoma State athletic department two years ago. I've heard some crazy contract figures being tossed around -- anywhere from 10 years, $30 million to five years, $20 million, which is tip money for Pickens -- but at the end of the day I have a hard time envisioning either Self or Gillispie leaving their current gigs. It would be a shame if Oklahoma State fired Sutton, who did a very respectable job this season under trying circumstances, all in a careless effort to buy a big-name coach who ends up turning them down.[/quote]

Three to four million a year is nothing to be scoffed at even if you are at KU or UK. In the end, I think this will be as much of an embarassment for them as the coaching search was at Arkansas last year. Pelphry was a good hire for them... but in no way was he the calibre of coach they were hoping for.

Archived