Theon

Sleipnir

I am having a tough time here. It seems as if I am the only person here who likes Theon. Not just as a character, but as a person. Maybe I have a skewed perspective of what kind of people are great, but I would definitely hang out with Theon, if given the opportunity. The moment he was introduced in AGoT, I liked his character.

Tell me, what are the reasons one should dislike him? And also, is there anyone else who thinks he is just positively great?

P.S. Sorry if this has been a topic afore..

Me, same. Theon has always been my favorite character, and since his 'death' I've been looking for a character to rival him.

I was in the middle of class reading, while the teacher was lecturing, when I read about Theon's death. And I think I was like "O____O" the rest of the day according to my friends.

But yes, I've read a lot about people hating him. Of course they're justified reasons, I mean he almost killed Bran, and Rickon. If he would have really done it though, still stands a question.

Can't wait for his POV returning, although it seems it will be quite different unfortunately.

Theon is a great character, but no I would not like him. He is immature and callous, shown in the very first (proper) chapter of the series when he kicks a dead man's head. Way to respect the dead, yo. While other characters have their blind spots, Theon's whole mentality every single time we see him is him trying to convince himself he is the hottest shit that ever walked the face of the planet. He kills two innocent boys because he doesn't want to appear incompetent -- that is a huge cost just for the sake of his ego. His attitude toward women strikes me as the height of juvenility as well. He's very real, I can imagine a lot of guys like him in real life, and GRRM rocks for creating Theon and making me invested in his storyline, but he really isn't the kind of person to interact [i]with[/i] you, but more [i]at[/i] you so you can see how cool he is and stroke his ego.

But if it helps, nobody is a worse enemy to Theon than himself.

[quote name='Sleipnir' post='1350189' date='May 10 2008, 12.22']Tell me, what are the reasons one should dislike him? And also, is there anyone else who thinks he is just positively great?[/quote]

Well, I don't hate Theon either, but his flaws include: Self-centered, domineering, inconsiderate, prideful and oh yeah, he was willing to kill some innocent children.

[quote]P.S. Sorry if this has been a topic afore..[/quote]

Don't be sorry, repeat posts are inevitable.

I have always liked Theon. Not loved, but liked. Even when he was taking Winterfell and making mistake after horrible mistake I like him. To this day I'm not really sure why. I see a boy who hasnt come into his own yet. Even though he's older than most of the "boys" in this story he is the least mature. I see a boy trying to please his father. I feel bad for him because he wants to show his dad that he is a man. Poor guy.

Here's the hopeful part. I really really really want Theon to be alive. I want him to be scarred. I want him to be changed. When he is freed from Ramsey I have the feeling he is going to become a major player. He is the rightful King of the Iron Islands. I hope Theon becomes the great man he has always fancied himself to be.

I like Theon also but I wouldnt be devastated if he were to meet his Maker. I dont feel as connected to him as I do Arya or Tyrion. I think he is a tragic character that is just trying to live up to his fathers expectations and claim a place he thinks should be his. He really is homeless-the ironmen dont accept him and neither do the Starks. I feel for him and I really cant hate him even though he took Winterfell. Ramsay is the one that fucked him over and caused all the grief that he is taking the blame for.

[quote name='Sleipnir' post='1350189' date='May 10 2008, 12.22']I am having a tough time here. It seems as if I am the only person here who likes Theon. Not just as a character, but as a person. Maybe I have a skewed perspective of what kind of people are great, but I would definitely hang out with Theon, if given the opportunity. The moment he was introduced in AGoT, I liked his character.

Tell me, what are the reasons one should dislike him? And also, is there anyone else who thinks he is just positively great?

P.S. Sorry if this has been a topic afore..[/quote]

Those that don't like Theon seem to key on his self-centeredness, his elitism, his pride, and so forth--I used to be that way, too. However, as I went through the series a second time, I came at least understand (perhaps) why Theon was the way he was--he was taken from his family, is trying to impress two father figures, and wants to prove he really is the hottest thing in Westeros. I guess what I am saying is that I personally don't hate the guy, and in fact can sympathize with him a great deal.

I don't really hate or like Theon, but I'm hoping that by the end of the books or his death he's a slightly better person that the arrogant, if tragic twat he was at the start.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1350570' date='May 11 2008, 14.35']At the end of the day, Theon is a traitor. He betrayed his best friend. And that is a good enough reason for me to hate him.[/quote]

It was either that or betray his family.

I've always felt sorry for Theon. He's caught between two contrasting cultures, and is accepted by neither. He's also unfortunate in that, having captured Winterfell by a pretty ingenious plan, he fails to follow it up and ends up relying on the advice of the biggest psychopath in the North in order to keep his head above water.

Yes it's the genius of the character that we see that side. I am very invested in him, I find myself hoping quite strongly that he grows up. But quite technically, he is in need of growing up.

The word for Theon is [i]pitiable[/i]. /broken record

[quote name='Paxter' post='1350570' date='May 10 2008, 22.35']At the end of the day, Theon is a traitor. He betrayed his best friend. And that is a good enough reason for me to hate him.[/quote]
It was that or betray his father, or fail his friend and remain weak in his father's eyes. The only thing he could have done better keeping spinning lies about the Lannisters until his father wanted to fight them instead, and it's quite possible that Balon would've never settled for anything less than war against the Starks.

I think that Theon would have been less likable if he had succeeded in his plans. The fact that he's in a horrible, horrible spot right now does add quite a bit to the sympathy factor.

Tho, I must say that the Theon chapters were my favourite part of CoK - you get to see him make one bad move after another (which neccesitates subsequent stupid stunts), and by the sack of Winterfell, they all come to pay him back with compound interest.

What intrigues me about Theon is that, while he IS an ass, he does think of the Starks as family. I firmly believe he would not have killed Bran and Rickon had he the chance. It is possible that he faked their deaths partially in order to end the search for them, thus protecting them in some small way. I think that he'd be a much more sympathetic character had he not been built up as such a shit in the first chapter.

[quote name='sailor' post='1350394' date='May 10 2008, 23.42']Well since it is a [u][b]spoiler[/b][/u] chapter maybe you shouldn`t be casualy mentioning it around here like this, Einstein?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for fucking it up for me.[/quote]

I barley fucking mentioned it smartass.

To be fair, no character ever said that Theon had died, that I know of.
SPOILER: Theon's fate

He just went off to the Dreadfort to be flayed, poor bugger, for which he does deserve some sympathy.

edit for blackout just in case

Archived