[ADWD SPOILERS] Where do whores go?

Burr

Tyrion will meet Tysha again. The whores go where the money is.

And the money is in Braavos, isn't it?

I have no idea about the Sailor's Wife and whether she is or isn't Tysha. What I do know is that Lannister always pays his debts and Tyrion owes a huge debt right there.

I doubt GRRM is going to leave this thread completely unbound. He'll pull it in somewhere, sometime. Whether it'll be a nice resolution or not is something else.

I actually am starting to think that we're not going to meet Tysha.

Her story has always been less about HER, and about Tyrion not being able to get past what he did to her, get past his issues with sex and women.

And in previous books he thought about Tysha all the time. But in ADWD he doesn't think about Tysha half as much, and Penny becomes the first woman he's ever met who he doesn't want to have sex with. She's the first woman where he doesn't get indignant when he realises she doesn't want him either.

For the first time, he ends up having a platonic friendship with a grown woman that is protective and compassionate. And whilst she drives him up the wall with her neediness, clinginess and naivete, he is frustrated mainly because she needs to toughen up in the dangerous situation they're in. When he worries at the end that she might be getting sick, his first thought is that he would have to hide her, to keep her safe from the other 2nd Sons who would kick her out to die. This is a relationship in which sex has no part whatsoever, and it's a first for him. And he's doing OK at it.

So whilst we've been assuming up to now that Tyrion would HAVE to meet Tysha to grow and evolve and put his women issues to rest, maybe he doesn't? Maybe Penny is helping him discover that?

I found it kind of sad how Tyrion becomes so obsessed with Tysha after he learns she wasn't a whore after all. He's still so naive in this kind of things, it's kind of tragic. If Tysha remembers him fondly, I will eat my shoes (or stab GRRM). I can see her forgiving him maybe, but loving a man who raped her? Please no. However I think they should and will meet before the end.

What is funny about all the Tysha speculation is that she could be beasically any random woman we've seen, given that she could easily have another name. I'm waiting for some totally crazy theories about her identity...

The Sailor's Wife is presented as the "best option" so far, but there isn't a lot to go on, that's for sure.

I would agree with the part where Tysha must despise Tyrion and everything he did to her. I mean, come on! The truth of what happened to her is unforgivable.

If what Tyrion is looking for from her is forgiveness? I just don't see it happening. The only forgiveness he will be able to find is the forgiveness he might be able to extend to himself. And it doesn't appear that he is able to do that anytime soon, either.

I will in many ways be disappointed if GRRM actually has Tyrion meet his Tysha (in the sense of being able to recognize her and that they have a conversation). I would also not be surprised if we were to discover at such a metting that Tysha married Tyrion only for the money - never for love. How ironic to discover that she was a whore, all along and that Tywin was right.

Of course, that would be devastating to Tyrion, and I think GRRM likes his dwarf too much for that.

Still, don't you think that was the line of reasonsing that Tywin used to convince Jaime that his plan was for the best? And Jaime was, in fact, convinced as he was also unable to see how Tyrion was deserving of a girl's sincere love?

Isn't that what this all comes down to? That after being raised by Tywin, Tyrion is unable to see himself as being worthy of love? So that when someone finally reaches out to to him and offers it to him as a SLAVE, when he has no money or power (or nose!!) -- he turns her away? Isn't that what best explains his rejection of Penny?

This might be one of those off the wall theories, but as all the content happened in older books (Pre-Dragon) no harm in posting.

I always thought she was in the riverlands, I don't have the passages handy, but I swear something that Cat's father or the place where Lem & Anguy were hanging out made me beleive she (or Tyrions son) were there.

Why would he look for Tysha or find her "wherever whores go" -- being gang-raped didn't turn her into a whore, did it? That's just something cruel Tywin said to make one last dig at Tyrion.

Exactly. Tywin said "wherever whores go" and meant essentially "why the hell should I know, much less care, what became of her?" Tywin was never under the impression that she was a whore, that was a lie he conjured up to teach Tyrion a "sharp lesson." Tyrion tends to ask people randomly where whores go when he's drunk or under duress. I don't believe it's a literal question at all; it's his shorthand for "what became of her?" I'm not sure he even wants to find her, and he feels more remorse for his treatment of her than for any other act in his life. He might want closure, or the ability to provide for her somehow without her having to see him again, for instance.

Oh, poor pity the accidental gang rapist.

Anyhow you look at it, the dude contributed to the gang raping of the woman, whether she was a whore or not, and to have a sudden extra burst of guilt after finding out she really wasn't a whore is chessy. Even whores/prostitutes/ strippers/ladies of the night/geishas have on and off hours. Gang rape is gang rape.

It's lame being, "I'm 6.5 out of ten regretful out of being a gang rapist, but she was a whore"

Even lamer: "She wasn't a whore?!? Shit. They made me gang rape her for nothing? I'm 10/10 regretful/suicidal/murderous, right now! But after being gang raped and paid, she's got to be so psychologically fucked up now... She probably really is a whore by now. And I've gotten over my abhorrence of whores (or have I?). Still, I should go look for Whoreland... There'll be wine. But I'm broke. Shit..."

Let's all pity the self pitying gang rapist? If GRRM does a meet-up, she should kill him. A real out of the blue casual murder

Uh, Tyrion did not rape her. No way, no how. He was still married at that time, and spousal rape is not a valid concept back then.

Funny, Tyrion seemed to have some pretty modern notions regarding consent when he refused to bed Sansa.

Then again, he forgot them entirely when he got wasted for the bajillionth time and bedded Illyrio's terrified houseslave.

Funny, Tyrion seemed to have some pretty modern notions regarding consent when he refused to bed Sansa.

Not really. He was being nice to her. However, in his internal monologue, he wonders something to the effect of what Sansa would say if this was the night that he would take her maidenhood. He did not think, "what if I decided to rape Sansa tonight."

Not really. He was being nice to her. However, in his internal monologue, he wonders something to the effect of what Sansa would say if this was the night that he would take her maidenhood. He did not think, "what if I decided to rape Sansa tonight."

I doubt that he would define it as rape, and not just a husband's right.

But he still seemed uncomfortable with taking a woman against her will.

Archived