What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

` I'm also re-reading ASoS and thought this was funny. I also missed it the first time around.

Bran and company are at the Queenscrown when a big thunderstorm hits and Hodor goes berserk. Bran says "... No more stupid hodoring. Sit down."

• 5 months later...

I forgot to use the search feature...

[we need a facepalm smilie]

Isn't the idea that you need to search for all questions before posting them contradictory to the idea of what a forum is? New posts, new members, new discussions... if people feel it's a tired topic they can pass on commenting (though I know they'll sooner comment and whine). ;-)

woe to the usurper- ser osell whent

don't make me rue the day i raped your mother- roose bolton

i'm gonna kill that- oberyn martell

go thing he died then he would have grown up to be a frey- manderly

no man is free only children and fools believe otherwise- tywin lannister

when you play the game of thrones you win or you die- cersei

I cannot believe you guys missed it.

"Valar Morghulis."

All Men Must Die

Now to some classics:

"He would have grown up to be a Frey."

"The North remembers."

-Lord Wyman Manderly

The broken men speech

-Septon Meribald

"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

-Ygritte

"A dragon is no slave."

"Dracarys."

-Daenerys Targaryan

"Justice. Vengeance. Fire and Blood."

-Doran Martell

"You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children."

-The Red Viper

"Winter is coming."

There's one particular quote I find missing in this thread. I must admit that I've heard this line in the show before I had read the books, and that is where it made its first impression on me. For me, it characterised a strongly emotional scene.

“Your meat,” he roared, “is bloody tough.” - The Greatjon

I'm glad this thread was on the main page because I didn't want to start a whole thread for this, but....

I was a little confused about this scene. It is either very typical, or shows Sansa Stark being an absolute badass.

Cersei has just ordered Lady's death in place of the absent Nymeria.

“Send for Ilyn Payne.” [Cersei]

“No,” Ned said. “Jory, take the girls back to their rooms and bring me Ice.” The words tasted of bile in his throat, but he forced them out. “If it must be done, I will do it.”

Cersei Lannister regarded him suspiciously. “You, Stark? Is this some trick? Why would you do such a thing?”

They were all staring at him, but it was Sansa’s look that cut. “She is of the north. She deserves better than a butcher."

Does Sansa or Ned say this!? I cannot see Sansa saying it, but she is the proper noun immediately preceding the line while Ned is referred to as "him."

Anyways, the scene is pretty solid, but if Sansa (who has only been away from Winterfell a few weeks at this point) salts Cersei like that, could be her most badass moment of the series thus far.

A number of good ones have already been mentioned. Here's a few more:

"I can out drink, fight, and sing Mance and my member is thrice the size. But he is clever..." -Tormund on Mance

"Generations of capering fools in motley have won me the right to dress badly and say any damn thing that comes into my head." - Tyrion

“You are an honest and honorable man, Lord Eddard. Ofttimes I forget that. I have met so few of them in my life. When I see what honesty and honor have won you, I understand why.” - Varys

“Tell me, Bronn. If I told you to kill a babe . . . an infant girl, say, still at her mother’s breast . . . would you do it? Without question?” -Tyrion

“Without question? No. I'd ask how much.”-Bronn

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men." -Stannis

"I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." -Stannis

"“Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold cloaks, sire?” - I think this was Marsh or Thorne

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.” - Stannis

“Aye, men are dying. More will die before we see Winterfell. What of it? This is war. Men die in war. That is as it should be. As it has always been.”

Ser Corliss Penny gave the clan chief an incredulous look. “Do you want to die, Wull?”

That seemed to amuse the northman. “I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter.”

I think this one sums up our sweet litte Arya nicely:

Lady Smallwood "What do you like to do?"

Arya "Needlework"

Lady Smallwood "Very restfull, isn´t it?"

Arya "Well, not the way I do it."

I liked that one so much I had to make it my signature. I'm doing a re-read and if I come across something better I MAY change my signature some time in the future, but it's going to have to be something quite extraordinary.

I'm glad this thread was on the main page because I didn't want to start a whole thread for this, but....

I was a little confused about this scene. It is either very typical, or shows Sansa Stark being an absolute badass.

Cersei has just ordered Lady's death in place of the absent Nymeria.

“Send for Ilyn Payne.” [Cersei]

“No,” Ned said. “Jory, take the girls back to their rooms and bring me Ice.” The words tasted of bile in his throat, but he forced them out. “If it must be done, I will do it.”

Cersei Lannister regarded him suspiciously. “You, Stark? Is this some trick? Why would you do such a thing?”

They were all staring at him, but it was Sansa’s look that cut. “She is of the north. She deserves better than a butcher."

Does Sansa or Ned say this!? I cannot see Sansa saying it, but she is the proper noun immediately preceding the line while Ned is referred to as "him."

Anyways, the scene is pretty solid, but if Sansa (who has only been away from Winterfell a few weeks at this point) salts Cersei like that, could be her most badass moment of the series thus far.

That was Ned talking.

Archived