What are the best quotes/lines in the book?

Fireball07

My favorite, not exactly a quote, but the entire passage, I'll just put in Jon's parts:

"As you will." Jon nodded to Iron Emmett. "Please take Lord Janos to the Wall"

"And hang him."

This is wrong, Jon thought, "Stop."

"I will not hang him." Jon said. "Bring him here"

The smile that Lord Janos Slynt smiled then had all the sweetness of rancid butter. Until Jon said, "Fetch me a block", and unsheathed Longclaw.

"Men are such thundering great fools. Even the sort who come along once in a thousand years."

"I have served six kings," he told Jaime after the second service, whilst sniffing doubtfully about the corpse, "but here before us lies the greatest man I ever knew. Lord Tywin wore no crown, yet he was all a king should be."

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

"Daemon stood straight and proud, and his stomach was flat and hard as an oaken shield. And he could fight . With ax or lance or flail, he was as good as any knight I ever saw, but with the sword he was the Warrior himself. When Prince Daemon had Blackfyre in his hand, there was not a man to equal him... not Ulrick Dayne with Dawn, no, nor even the Dragonknight with Dark Sister."

"Daemon, though... Daemon was no more pious than a king need be, and all the great knights of the realm gathered to him. It would suit Lord Bloodraven if their names were all forgotten, so he has forbidden us to sing of them, but I remember. Robb Reyne, Gareth the Grey, Ser Aubrey Ambrose, Lord Gormon Peake, Black Byren Flowers, Redtusk, Fireball... Bittersteel! I ask you, has there ever been such a noble company, such a roll of heroes?

"I should have gone with Bittersteel into exile, or died beside my sons and my sweet king. That would have been a death worthy of a chequy lion descended from so many proud lords and mighty warriors. Daeron's mercy made me smaller". In his heart the black dragon never died, Dunk

realized.

Then lastly these two quotes when put one after another and the theory that Aegon is a Blackfyre.

"Do not prate at me of history, ser. Daemon Blackfyre was a rebel and usurper, Bittersteel a bastard. When he fled, he swore he would return to place a son of Daemon's upon the Iron Throne. He never did. Words are wind, and the wind that blows exiles across the narrow sea seldom blows them back."

"All the skulls were grinning, even Bittersteel's on the tall pike in the center. What does he have to grin about? He died defeated and alone, a broken man in an alien land. On his deathbed, Ser Aegor Rivers had famously commanded his men to boil the flesh from his skull, dip it in gold, and carry it before them when they crossed the sea to retake Westeros. His successors had followed his example."

• 3 weeks later...

"That smirking worm who wears a dragon's name."

- Wyman Manderly

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died."

- Ser Jorah Mormont.

"Bugger that. Bugger him. Bugger you."

- Sandor Clegane

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night"

- Ser Gerold Dayne

• 2 weeks later...

"… but never think that means I have forgotten. The north remembers, Lord Davos. The

north remembers..."

This scene gave me the chills. I loved how in one chapter GRRM takes a character like Lord Manderly ( until that moment everyone thought him to be a fat craven who was going to kill Davos) and shows as the depth of his loyalty and desire for vengeance. Not to mention how well it sums up the northeners: hard, unforgiving people. And they remember...

• 2 weeks later...

“Can I dwell on what I scarce remember? I held a castle on the Marches once, and there was a woman I was pledged to marry, but I could not find that castle today, nor tell you the color of that woman's hair. Who knighted me, old friend? What were my favorite foods? It all fades. Sometimes I think I was born on the bloody grass in that grove of ash, with the taste of fire in my mouth and a hole in my chest. Are you my mother, Thoros?”

Beric was one of my favourite characters, his story is really intriguing and rather tragic.

King Bread :bowdown:

A tumult of sound drowned his last words, a rolling thunder of rage and fear and hatred that engulfed them from all sides. “Bastard!” someone screamed at Joffrey, “bastard monster.” Other voices flung calls of “Whore” and “Brotherfucker” at the queen, while Tyrion was pelted with shouts of “Freak” and “Halfman.” Mixed in with the abuse, he heard a few cries of “Justice” and “Robb, King Robb, the Young Wolf,” of “Stannis!” and even “Renly!” From both sides of the street, the crowd surged against the spear shafts while the gold cloaks struggled to hold the line. Stones and dung and fouler things whistled overhead. “Feed us!” a woman shrieked. “Bread!” boomed a man behind her. “We want bread, bastard!” In a heartbeat, a thousand voices took up the chant. King Joffrey and King Robb and King Stannis were forgotten, and King Bread ruled alone. “Bread,” they clamored. “Bread, bread!”

They turned their backs on their rightful king for no better reason than dreams of power and glory, and I have marked them for what they are. Pardoned them, yes. Forgiven. But not forgotten.

I never asked for this crown. Gold is cold and heavy on the head but so long as I am the king, I have a duty … If I must sacrifice one child to the flames to save a million from the dark … Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.

And every line Penrose uttered.

• 3 months later...
“The Lord Commander of the Kingsguard,” Jaime returned with cold courtesy. “I might ask the same of you, my lady.”

“Lady? I’m no lady. I’m the queen.”

“My sister will be surprised to hear that.”

“Lord Ryman crowned me his very self.” She gave a shake of her ample hips. “I’m the queen o’ whores.”

No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.

I don't have the books with me. But what Big Bucket Wull says about how he wants to fight for ned's little girl and how he wants to die surrounded by dead boltons or something.

does someone have the quote for me? :P

“Aye, men are dying. More will die before we see Winterfell. What of it? This is war. Men die in war. That is as it should be. As it has always been.”

Ser Corliss Penny gave the clan chief an incredulous look. “Do you want to die, Wull?”

That seemed to amuse the northman. “I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What men want does not matter.

“Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.” Big Bucket Wull

• 1 month later...

A number of good ones have already been mentioned. Here's a few more:

"I can out drink, fight, and sing Mance and my member is thrice the size. But he is clever..." -Tormund on Mance

"Generations of capering fools in motley have won me the right to dress badly and say any damn thing that comes into my head." - Tyrion

“You are an honest and honorable man, Lord Eddard. Ofttimes I forget that. I have met so few of them in my life. When I see what honesty and honor have won you, I understand why.” - Varys

“Tell me, Bronn. If I told you to kill a babe . . . an infant girl, say, still at her mother’s breast . . . would you do it? Without question?” -Tyrion

“Without question? No. I'd ask how much.”-Bronn

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men." -Stannis

"I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." -Stannis

"“Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold cloaks, sire?” - I think this was Marsh or Thorne

“Any of you, I would think. Even the cook.” - Stannis

“Aye, men are dying. More will die before we see Winterfell. What of it? This is war. Men die in war. That is as it should be. As it has always been.”

Ser Corliss Penny gave the clan chief an incredulous look. “Do you want to die, Wull?”

That seemed to amuse the northman. “I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-t

Great quotes especially the one Varys says to Ned. I had never noticed that one before.

1. "Vengeance. Justice.... Fire and Blood." - Doran Martell

2. "Only Cat." - LF

3. "Edd, fetch me a block." - Lord Snow

4. "Oh." - Quetyn Martell

5. "Bring me my liege Lord." - Wyman Manderly

6. "Arya of House Stark." - Cat of the Canals

7. "(The part about her mother tongue being Valyrian) Drogon. Dracarys!" - Daenerys

8. "Everything." - Davos (replying to Stannis about the value of one bastards life)

I am really hoping that they do these moments/lines well on the show. My number 7, the only one reached so far, was awesome.

Archived