Guess the first line

needle

[quote name='aidan' post='1652893' date='Jan 18 2009, 08.43']How about:

Everyone knows how to find the meaning of life within himself.[/quote]

The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut? (don't have an english version of the book here so I may be wrong)

[quote name='needle' post='1652962' date='Jan 18 2009, 12.27']yup :)

to keep it going...

[b]Shadow had done three years in prison.[/b][/quote]
American Gods

Don't have much choice picking the next one, with only four English books here at the moment:
[b]I don't how I lost you.[/b]

I'll give you a bunch:

1. On March 30, 2092, the Department of Health and Human Services issued Eleanor and I a permit.

2. "Look, Thomas, I know you've probably been asked this question a million times before, but what was it like to be Stephen Abbey's--"

3. "Don't tell me what I'm doing here, I don't want to know!"

4. Later, as he sat on his balcony eating the dog, Dr. Robert Laing reflected on the unusual events that had taken place within this huge apartment building during the previous three months.

5. There is a principle in nature I don't think anyone has pointed out before.

6. It was the year when they finally immanentized the Eschaton.

7. In the last quarter of the twentieth century, at a time when Western civilization was declining too rapidly for comfort and yet too slowly to be very exciting, much of the world sat on the edge of an increasingly expensive theatre seat, waiting--with various combinations of dread, hope, and ennui--for something momentous to occur.

8. Manfred's on the road again, making strangers rich.

9. Once there was a boy in a house. (For Fee)

10. As I dressed that morning I ran over in my mind the long list of statistics, evasions, and exaggerations that they would expect in my report.

No fair using google, nubs.

[quote name='Stego' post='1653001' date='Jan 18 2009, 13.48']8. Manfred's on the road again, making strangers rich.[/quote]

Charlie Stross - [i]Lobster[/i] (the first Accelerando story)

[b]A rogue, an aimless wanderer, creation's castaway; this world was all these things[/b]

[quote]If I'm not mistaken the first one it's from one of the Vernor Vinge novels, but can't remember the title atm.[/quote]

I don't think anybody identified the title, it's Vinge's [i]Deepness in the Sky[/i].

[b]A rogue, an aimless wanderer, creation's castaway; this world was all these things[/b]

Sounds a lot like Dying of the Light to me, but of course my copy's gone awol for now...

[quote name='Alytha' post='1653014' date='Jan 18 2009, 14.38'][b]A rogue, an aimless wanderer, creation's castaway; this world was all these things[/b]

Sounds a lot like Dying of the Light to me, but of course my copy's gone awol for now...[/quote]

It is GRRM's Dying of the Light

yay :)

OK, a couple of new lines:

[b]Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
[/b]
[b]He had been almost aware for some time.
[/b]
[b]The dangerously high level of the Stupidity Surplus was once again the lead story in The Owl that morning.[/b]

[quote name='Alytha' post='1653017' date='Jan 18 2009, 06.44'][b]Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's grey cloak.
[/b][/quote]

Proven Guilty. Jim Butcher :D

[b]I sing of knights and ladies, of love and arms, of courtly chivalry, of courageous deeds- all from the time when the Moors crossed the sea from Africa and wrought havoc in France.[/b]

Seventh Pup -

Orlando Furioso, by Ludovico Ariosto

:)

If I'm right, here's a new line. Super easy, but its one that I love:

[b]There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. [/b]

(edited because I remembered his last name too)

Archived