Guess the first line

needle

[quote name='SwiftSnowmane' post='1653041' date='Jan 18 2009, 17.07'][b]There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. [/b][/quote]

Guessing: Jane Eyre?

Can I play too? :P

[b]I repeat to you gentlemen, that your inquisition is fruitless. Detain me here forever if you will; confine me or execute me if you must have a victim to propitiate the illusion you call justice; but I can say no more than I have said already. [/b]

[quote name='SwiftSnowmane' post='1653055' date='Jan 18 2009, 17.46']Vrana ~ Correct, its [i]Jane Eyre[/i]. I know that was easy, but I just love that as a first line. :)[/quote]

To be honest I've never read the book. I've picked it up a zillion times and read the first chapter but I just couldn't get into it. Saw the series though, thinking of giving Bronë another chance.

[quote name='Errant Bard' post='1653011' date='Jan 18 2009, 09.23']4 should be that short story by JG Ballard about that abandoned beach city and dead astronauts, I think, been a long time since I read it.[/quote]

Its High Rise, by Ballard. (but its not about an abandoned beach city or dead astronauts!)

[quote name='BJT' post='1653060' date='Jan 18 2009, 17.51']Its High Rise, by Ballard. (but its not about an abandoned beach city or dead astronauts!)[/quote]I think I may have mixed up several stories by Ballard hardcore. Damn memory.

[quote name='Stego' post='1653001' date='Jan 18 2009, 14.48']I'll give you a bunch:

2. "Look, Thomas, I know you've probably been asked this question a million times before, but what was it like to be Stephen Abbey's--"[/quote]
I know this one :)

Jonathan Carroll's The land Of Laughs

[quote name='Vrana' post='1653053' date='Jan 18 2009, 11.43'][b]I repeat to you gentlemen, that your inquisition is fruitless. Detain me here forever if you will; confine me or execute me if you must have a victim to propitiate the illusion you call justice; but I can say no more than I have said already. [/b][/quote]
This seems really familiar ... damnit!!

[quote name='Stego' post='1653088' date='Jan 18 2009, 12.35']High Rise and Lang of Laughs are correct.[/quote]

ok then, here are some new ones:

--It was starting to end, after what seemed most of eternity to me.

--When shall we three meet again/ In thunder, lightening, or in rain?

--It was a dumb thing to do but it wasn't that dumb.

[quote name='BJT' post='1653148' date='Jan 18 2009, 14.31']--When shall we three meet again/ In thunder, lightening, or in rain?[/quote]

Macbeth!

Yay! I was waiting to recognize one to write:

[b]The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.[/b]

If you don't immediately recognize this one, you really need to get this book stat.

[quote name='Lord of the North' post='1653123' date='Jan 18 2009, 19.44']This seems really familiar ... damnit!![/quote]

I don't know if hints are allowed but I'll just say that it's a short story, found in a collection - which might make it harder. :P

[quote name='Vrana' post='1653156' date='Jan 18 2009, 14.38']I don't know if hints are allowed but I'll just say that it's a short story, found in a collection - which might make it harder. :P[/quote]

I googled it. It was pretty unexpected. Tricky.

[quote name='Errant Bard' post='1653074' date='Jan 18 2009, 12.10']I think I may have mixed up several stories by Ballard hardcore. Damn memory.[/quote]

I believe he had a short story called "the dead astronaut", but I'm blanking on it--it might have taken place in Florida, maybe that's what you're thinking about. High Rise is the one that takes place entirely in a big apartment building where something happens to the rest of the world and all services from the outside stop. Its a modern sort of "lord of the flies" where the whole building reverts to gangs and fending for themselves kind of thing.

[quote name='Bellis' post='1653154' date='Jan 18 2009, 14.37'][b]The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.[/b]

If you don't immediately recognize this one, you really need to get this book stat.[/quote]
The Last Unicorn, Beagle.

Next;

"His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god."

ETA;

Knowing that it is a short story doesn't help ... blarrrrgh! Must. Not. Google.

[b]The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.[/b]

The Last Unicorn?

[b]It was a nice day[/b]

[b]She put her chin on the wood below the window
[/b]
[b]On the day the armada went off to war, on the last day of life as we know it, I was invited to a party.[/b]

Archived