What books are on your bedside table--right now

seastarr

Marvel Essentials: Moon Knight Vol 2 <~~~~~am a closet geek

Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku

An Annotated Guide to H.P. Lovecraft

A Storm of Swords - reread

[quote name='Jon Fossaway' post='1669832' date='Feb 1 2009, 19.24']Marvel Essentials: Moon Knight Vol 2 <~~~~~am a closet geek

Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel by Michio Kaku

An Annotated Guide to H.P. Lovecraft

A Storm of Swords - reread[/quote]

All of those books = geek. There's no closet involved.

The Prisoner (Albertine) by Proust - hate.

Foxes in Vineyard by Lion Feuchtwanger - so much love! In case someone doesn't known it's a hilarious and poignant book about Benjamen Franklin in France and Beaumarchais's struggle for arms for America and Figaro, and, well, about History in general.

Slowly reading Club Dumas in Spanish. It's OK.

The Lion of Macedon, by Gemmel [having a difficult time with it overall, although there are some [i]great[/i] indvidual moments]

-and in the cue immediately after-

The Chemical Muse: Drug Use and the Roots of Western Civilization, by D. Hillman

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='K26dp' post='1671049' date='Feb 2 2009, 10.04']Just finished Gaimen's [i]The Graveyard Book[/i] -- quick read, but fantastic!

Next up is a second read of Herbert's [i]Dune[/i].[/quote]
How do so many of you have time for rereads? Is your job reading books?

Anyhow...Toll the Hounds (really getting bogged down but seems to be picking up around pg 600). On deck I have Darkness Take My Hand by Dennis Lehane.

[i]War & Peace[/i]. I admit it just became too boring after the war part ended. Iswear I'll finish it sometime this year.

[i]Crum[/i] by Lee Maynard. S John should read this. It's a short novel of life in a small WV town in the 50's. It's a nice little slice of life: funny, raunchy, sad. I really enjoyed it.

[i]The Best of the Best Cookbook Recipes: Hawaii[/i] We bought this during the trip and it has some interesting recipes with facts and stories about Hawaii

Theres only one book on my bedside table at the moment - Kitty and the Dead Mans Hand by Carrie Vaughn.

However scattered in various spots around my house/in my handbag/in the car are

American Gods - Neil Gaiman (reading)
Wild Cards 1 - (re-reading)
Tori Amos: Piece by Piece - Tori Amos and Ann Powers (reading)
Ship of Magic - Robin Hobb (reading)
A Magic of Twilight - SL Farrell (about to read)
Unclean Spirits - MLN Hanover (about to read)
Comic Book Tattoo Tales Inspired by Tori Amos (reading)

On my bed... I don't have a bedside table to speak of... so some of them are on my bed, and some are stacked next to it, but... Currently there is...

The First Book of Swords, The Second Book of Swords, and The Third Book of Swords by Fred Saberhagen
The Encyclopedia of War & Weaponry by Stuart Murray
The Reader's Companion to Military History by Robert Cowley, Geoffrey Parker, and Society for Military History
Medieval Folklore: A Guide to Myths, Legends, Tales, Beliefs, and Customs by Carl Lindahl, John McNamara, and John Lindow
BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley
THE CATCHER IN THE RYE by J.D. Salinger
Worms of the Earth by Robert E. Howard
Page After Pagee by Heather Sellers
Writing Historical Fiction by Rhona Martin
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
and
The Archetypes and The Collective Unconscious by C. G. Jung, Gerhard Adler, and R. F.C. Hull

Currently, I've got the following books floating around the house, sometimes on my nightstand:

Toll the Hounds - Erikson. I just sort of stopped reading part way through, will finish it eventually
The World is Flat - Thomas Friedman. Reading in spurts, when I don't have something else to read
Mistborn - Sanderson. Just finished.
Agent to the Stars - Scalzi. Also finished
Heaven's Net is Wide - Hearn. Just started

i just moved and, all the books that aren't in boxes are on my night stand.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (what I'm reading right now)
Hooking Up by Tom Wolfe
Become a Better You by Joel Osteen(gift from Mom)
First Meetings by Orson Scott Card
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemmingway
On the Road (Jack Kerouak)
aSoS
aCoK
The Ghost Whisperer: revenge (dont know who wrote it. that's the wife's)
a few christian fiction books(also the wife's)
erotic massage

Archived