CA young woman sells her virginity on line

Waldo Frey

[quote name='McCloskey' post='1665850' date='Jan 28 2009, 15.11']I dont care but I get annoyed when people cant be honest about their actions and try and spin a web of BS to justify it. She was the one that brought up the historical norms piece and she didnt know what she was talking about. There is no issue over the act, I just dont want her to pee on my shoe and tell me its raining![/quote]

I gotcha, thats fair enough.

So youd have a problem if I did the same and said it was on behalf of the sausage industry?

[quote name='McCloskey' post='1665844' date='Jan 28 2009, 14.08']Fair point. I meant selling her body but I should have said "selling sexual favors"

And in case the Credibility police are still lurking, according to Websters:

Whore (n.) Prostitute
Prostitute (n.) One who performs sexual acts on others for pay[/quote]

That's the dictionary definition, but it means more than that. Whore is a word you can use for a man, but it's insulting more because of it's femininity than it's meaning. When you use the word whore, it is a pejorative for a woman of loose morals. There is no similar word for a man because this behavior is found acceptable for men. To oversimplifiy it, the reason this behavior is frowned upon in women and celebrated in men is property rights. When you use the word whore, you are endorsing these origins.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1665854' date='Jan 28 2009, 12.14']Wow, she's using our [s]species[/s] cultures obsession with virginity to whore herself out for some serious cash.

That's good work.[/quote]
Fixed :P

We really shouldn't need to explain why calling someone a "whore" as the final point of your argument lessens your credibility. At the very least its an ad hominem type of approach. More importantly, its a loaded word with strong connotations of sexism and male chauvinism. It betrays your entire approach to the issue as being phallocentrically biased.

I would be too creeped out by a guy paying for my virginity. I guess we don't know the thought process of the bidders, but assuming the virginity is the main thing .. ew.

Evidently she's okay with it though; hope she doesn't get some nutter.

She's a prostitute. (technically she's not, as she has not yet sold anything; she is a prostitute [i]in negotiation[/i]). Doesn't mean she needs to be called a whore, any more than someone who calls someone else a whore when it's uncalled for needs to be called an asshole.

Still don't get the virgin == ooh awesome thing. If she can exploit it, more power to her.

Good for her.

Fun thread too, what with the dick waving, the gleeful eagerness to point and shout "whore"! (you can just imagine the red ears) and, of course, as with every news item these days, a dig at Arabs, accompanied by an extremely insincere "sorry" in the very same sentence. Well done.

Also fun, how come every thread in which the whore word features people feel the need to peruse a dictionary as well?

[quote name='tzanth' post='1665882' date='Jan 28 2009, 15.37']Fixed :P[/quote]

Please, don't kid yourself. The high value placed on virginity occurs in TONS and TONS of societies across the globe. It's definitely something we as a species place a value on more often then not.

[quote name='tzanth' post='1665882' date='Jan 28 2009, 15.37']Fixed :P

We really shouldn't need to explain why calling someone a "whore" as the final point of your argument lessens your credibility. At the very least its an ad hominem type of approach. More importantly, its a loaded word with strong connotations of sexism and male chauvinism. It betrays your entire approach to the issue as being phallocentrically biased.[/quote]

You can slap lipstick on a pig and its still a pig. You can justify prostitution anyway you want, at the end if youre still selling sexual acts to others youre a prostitute. Not judging the lady but lets call it what it is and save lip service.

But what do I know, I'm just a Phallocentric Chauvinist.

[quote]You can slap lipstick on a pig and its still a pig. You can justify prostitution anyway you want, at the end if youre still selling sexual acts to others youre a prostitute.[/quote]This is true, but the word 'prostitute' and the term 'cum guzzling gutter slut' have two very different connotations, even if they can technically refer to the same behavior.

[quote name='McCloskey' post='1665907' date='Jan 28 2009, 15.01']You can slap lipstick on a pig and its still a pig. You can justify prostitution anyway you want, at the end if youre still selling sexual acts to others youre a prostitute. Not judging the lady but lets call it what it is and save lip service.

But what do I know, I'm just a Phallocentric Chauvinist.[/quote]

Calling a prostitute a whore is not exactly equal to calling a prostitute a prostitute. You know that, and you know why, you're just playing the victim here

[quote name='Shryke' post='1665904' date='Jan 28 2009, 15.57']The high value placed on virginity occurs in TONS and TONS of societies across the globe. It's definitely something we as a species place a value on more often then not.[/quote]

Less than what it once was, but still, yes. If they were buying the services of an excellent lover, I wouldn't blink an eye. But it seems like what they're paying for is the old idea that a woman is "worth" more when she's a virgin. Back to what Kay Fury and others have no doubt said, really. Just thinking aloud.

ETA: And actually wondering why all the focus on her behavior, what to call her and so on. What about the bidders?

[quote name='Annelise' post='1665931' date='Jan 28 2009, 16.15']Less than what it once was, but still, yes. If they were buying the services of an excellent lover, I wouldn't blink an eye. But it seems like what they're paying for is the old idea that a woman is "worth" more when she's a virgin. Back to what Kay Fury and others have no doubt said, really. Just thinking aloud.[/quote]

Oh, I agree. I'm just arguing this value placed on virginity extends WELL beyond just our culture. You see it all over the place, in all sorts of different societies.

Hell, I'd say the minute you start placing any value on lineage, virginity becoming valuable is inevitable.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1665915' date='Jan 28 2009, 16.04']This is true, but the word 'prostitute' and the term 'cum guzzling gutter slut' have two very different connotations, even if they can technically refer to the same behavior.[/quote]

Thats why I didnt use the term 'cum guzzling gutter slut'

[quote name='McCloskey' post='1665940' date='Jan 28 2009, 16.24']Thats why I didnt use the term 'cum guzzling gutter slut'[/quote]
No, neither did you use the word "whore" in your defense of calling a pig a pig. People called you out for using the word whore and then your defense of plain language invoked only "prostitute." Kinda pussied out there, didn't you?

[quote name='Kay Fury' post='1665919' date='Jan 28 2009, 16.06']Calling a prostitute a whore is not exactly equal to calling a prostitute a prostitute. You know that, and you know why, you're just playing the victim here[/quote]

A victim of what?

I guess I just failed to appreciate the sensitivity that boarders had to calling a prostiture a whore. If this was just about some girl losing her virginity and I called her a whore then I think I would see where youre coming from. That would be judgemental, chavinistic, and antiquated and really non of my business. I instead called a woman who is selling her virginity on the Internet to the highest bidder a whore and I've been dubbed a Phallocentric Chauvinist.

I will admit I used Whore over Prostitute in response to the Woman trying to elevate and justify what she did with some false history and some weak woman empowerment lip service. I was trying to bring this back to reality.

[quote name='DanteGabriel' post='1665954' date='Jan 28 2009, 16.32']No, neither did you use the word "whore" in your defense of calling a pig a pig. People called you out for using the word whore and then your defense of plain language invoked only "prostitute." Kinda pussied out there, didn't you?[/quote]

I didnt use the term because she never specified if she would guzzle cum. She did say she would sell her cherry which is the definition of whore.

You might want to turn your knee jerk feminism down a notch.

[quote]She did say she would sell her cherry which is the definition of whore.[/quote]Haven't seen that definition before. Is 'selling your cherry' in the websters or oxford? Or maybe it's in the scrabble version.

[quote]I will admit I used Whore over Prostitute in response to the Woman[/quote]I also greatly appreciate the Victorian Capitalization of Random Words to make them More Meaningful in a Sentence.

Archived