Aussies XXXXVI

gryphon strike

Good luck Ser Stubby.

I've got one on Saturday (Corporations Law) and then three the following week (Admin Law, Remedies, Income Tax).

This time of year really sucks.

Heh - Admin is Thursday's....

Good luck as well mate!

Good luck Stubbs. Reminds me that next semester I'll have to go back to part time study. erhmmm.

Boo Hoo I'm an Indian student. The student agents back home told me I'd get part time work easily and have no worries with accomodation. I get to Australia and have to live in the outer suburbs and work until late at night. I walk around with my laptop and PDA as a sign of status (status is very important in India you see). When getting off the train late at night I get mugged. I don't really want to go to the police, it's not what we do in India. Not sure how all of this could make me a soft target as the police have been saying. It's all too much, my family has everything resting on my education, so what to I do....scream racism. That's it, accuse the Australian people and government of more or less forcing me to leave. First I'll block traffic in inner city Melbourne which will force the police to physically move me and then I can also scream police brutality. That's the ticket.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story...550-601,00.html

For the record I like Inidan people, love Indian food, like the film slumdog, want to visit India oneday and I do think that the students have been exploited by Indian student agents and a few are probably even exploited by unreputable employers over here. But really I know bullshit when I smell it.

Bump time. What's the matter with you guys.

Anyone followed Chasers?

What they did at the Vatican, they would never do in front of a mosque. ABC would never allow that. As usual do it to Catholics it's ok, but if you did the same thing to Muslims you'd get cruxified.

Now they're having a go at dying kids. Apparently some family was distraught as they had a dying 7 year old.

I've always said the guys are playground weiners, trying to make friends through lame attempts at humor.

Bump time. What's the matter with you guys.

Go easy OLP, it's exam time!

Anyone followed Chasers?

What they did at the Vatican, they would never do in front of a mosque. ABC would never allow that. As usual do it to Catholics it's ok, but if you did the same thing to Muslims you'd get cruxified.

Now they're having a go at dying kids. Apparently some family was distraught as they had a dying 7 year old.

I've always said the guys are playground weiners, trying to make friends through lame attempts at humor.

In principle, I don't mind the Chaser - it's the old: "if you find it offensive then switch it off" argument.

But the thing with the sick kids was just plain wrong, because it seemed to actually involve going up to these dying kids and saying things like "they're going to die anyway". That can cause actual psychological harm and should be condemned.

Go easy OLP, it's exam time!

In principle, I don't mind the Chaser - it's the old: "if you find it offensive then switch it off" argument.

But the thing with the sick kids was just plain wrong, because it seemed to actually involve going up to these dying kids and saying things like "they're going to die anyway". That can cause actual psychological harm and should be condemned.

I forgot how many people are still studying on this board. My comment is tongue in cheek though. I've been away for a year almost hardly posting, now I'm back and want everyone to keep posting to suit me.

You know I'm sure plenty of Christians would change the channel, but does that make it ok, given my argument?

You know I'm sure plenty of Christians would change the channel, but does that make it ok, given my argument?

Look, I'm a practising Catholic and sometimes I think that maybe they do cross the line (they certainly did with the dying children the other night), so I switch the channel.

But, at the end of the day, we live in a country where the freedom of speech is regarded as pretty important i.e. your right to express an opinion shouldn't be restrained unless it's a breach of confidence or defamatory or constitutes a breach of some other legal duty.

So, to answer your question, yeah, I do think it's OK.

I'm with Paxter on this one. When it comes to comedy, either everything is open to attack, or nothing is. Because at the end of the day, there isn't a joke in the world that someone does'nt find offensive. Anyway, it's just TV. The best way to let them know your offended is with your remote. If they aren't getting ratings, then they won't be around to make offensive jokes.

As for the Chaser, I found them funny back in the day, when they did the Election Chaser. They made a point, they did it in a funny way, and they went after egotistical self important pollies who generally need to be taken down a peg or two. These days they've gotten lazy and largely target security guards, cops and secretaries who are just doing their damned job and don't really deserve to be mocked on TV.

I'm with Paxter on this one. When it comes to comedy, either everything is open to attack, or nothing is. Because at the end of the day, there isn't a joke in the world that someone does'nt find offensive. Anyway, it's just TV. The best way to let them know your offended is with your remote. If they aren't getting ratings, then they won't be around to make offensive jokes.

As for the Chaser, I found them funny back in the day, when they did the Election Chaser. They made a point, they did it in a funny way, and they went after egotistical self important pollies who generally need to be taken down a peg or two. These days they've gotten lazy and largely target security guards, cops and secretaries who are just doing their damned job and don't really deserve to be mocked on TV.

They aren't targeting the seccies and cops etc out of choice, it's more that the people they work for have gotten wise to the Chaser now and are much harder to get to. Howard is out too so no more early morning walk ambushes :(

But, at the end of the day, we live in a country where the freedom of speech is regarded as pretty important i.e. your right to express an opinion shouldn't be restrained unless it's a breach of confidence or defamatory

Phillip Adams and every left wing journo said that about the Danish Mohammad cartoons. ABC being a left-wing network shares the same sentiments. No problem with double standards if it's mother mary with a penis on her face or the chaser crew calling catholics paedophiles.

When it comes to comedy, either everything is open to attack, or nothing is

There's my point again. Islam is off the list. Would they have the nerve to go to the lakemba mosque and try something offensive (apart from the pre-arranged anthony mundine skit). I doubt it. Even if they did, would that get passed the ABC censors, NO WAY.

OLP, I seem to remember the Chaser taking a jab at Sheik Hilaly, more than once even. I don't think Islam is off the list, or that it should be. If you do think that, then by all means accuse the Chaser of hypocrisy, but I don't see that as a reason to side with the nanny-staters, who all come across a bit like Revered Lovejoy's wife from the Simpsons - "won't somebody think of the children???"

I tend to like the chaser though I admit my reasons are twofold, occasionally they are funny but more importantly they tend to show the idiocy of certain things.

The one about the kids well they did something similar a while back, just one kid who wished for more wishes. It was funny and still made the point that spending large amounts of money on dying children doesn't make much sense.

Nor does massive security that costs the earth and is totally useless!

they have done some good stuff and some total crap. The dying kids was a crap one but even so I am willing to bet two things, next week the ratings for Chasers will be trough the roof.

Secondly and more importantly donations for Make a wish foundation and cancer research something that is well worth a few hurt sensabilities.

There's my point again. Islam is off the list. Would they have the nerve to go to the lakemba mosque and try something offensive (apart from the pre-arranged anthony mundine skit). I doubt it. Even if they did, would that get passed the ABC censors, NO WAY.

Thing is OLP, I reckon the Chaser team would love to have a go at Islam, but there is a risk of inciting violence when you criticise a religion that has a recent track record of extremism.

Thing is OLP, I reckon the Chaser team would love to have a go at Islam, but there is a risk of inciting violence when you criticise a religion that has a recent track record of extremism.

So Paxter my thoughts are then do it in Australia and bring it on. I would rather fight them when the odds are on our side rather than when they outnumber us and want to vote in Sharia law.

So Paxter my thoughts are then do it in Australia and bring it on. I would rather fight them when the odds are on our side rather than when they outnumber us and want to vote in Sharia law.

I agree with you in principle GS - as I stated above I am a strong believer of free speech. In an ideal world, I would love to see the Chaser go after everyone - go after the Christians and Muslims if that's what they want to do.

But, TBH, I'm not sure I want to see them exercise their right of free speech if it is going to result in violence.

I agree with you in principle GS - as I stated above I am a strong believer of free speech. In an ideal world, I would love to see the Chaser go after everyone - go after the Christians and Muslims if that's what they want to do.

But, TBH, I'm not sure I want to see them exercise their right of free speech if it is going to result in violence.

Much as I hate to say it mate I think the violence is coming one way or another. I would prefer it occur on our terms rather than theirs. It is honestly that simple, yes there are many fine moslems in Australia including one of my best friends but the thing is there are also a heap of scumbag moslems who for some idiotic reason want to turn Australia into another hell hole like the one they fled from. People that stupid can go straight back to where they came from regardless of what it will cost them.

They have been granted asylum not the right to at some future time try and take over the country!

I mean these scumbags hold us in such contempt that they even boast that thats their intention!

Yet we are still letting them in?

WTF is up with that?

I mean these scumbags hold us in such contempt that they even boast that thats their intention!

Yet we are still letting them in?

WTF is up with that?

We can't just stop letting asylum seekers enter Australia. Most of these people are turning to our country because they need our help - they need an opportunity to start afresh. Heck, if my grandparents hadn't fled here after the war then I can't imagine how much more difficult life would have been for my parents and for me. If we stop letting asylum seekers in then we aren't giving people like my grandparents a chance.

GS, I'm not sure if you're waiting for backup from me...but I'm trying really hard not to get involved in this one. In a way I partly started this.

You know my feelings on this one. In case the others don't, I'll tell you. I'm from an ethnic background myself and I know something about Hansonism, racism and realism, integration and non-integration, those who are likely to fit and and won't. To elaborate on what GS said, there are differences between different Arab Muslim people from different Arab countries. We had turks, egyptians, Iranians (those who fled Khomenie in 1980) and they have done much better than the Lebs.

GS, I'm not sure if you're waiting for backup from me...but I'm trying really hard not to get involved in this one. In a way I partly started this.

You know my feelings on this one. In case the others don't, I'll tell you. I'm from an ethnic background myself and I know something about Hansonism, racism and realism, integration and non-integration, those who are likely to fit and and won't. To elaborate on what GS said, there are differences between different Arab Muslim people from different Arab countries. We had turks, egyptians, Iranians (those who fled Khomenie in 1980) and they have done much better than the Lebs.

I guess my point is that we let in decent people not scumbags, I think most of you know I was totally against the detainment of refugees. I know this is a sensative issue and considering we have already had one idiotic "white Australia" policy comment, it is clearly going to cause problems just trying to talk about it.

But lets just try and give it a go also lets rather than calling someone racist tell them you think they are crossing the line and explain why.

BECAUSE to be honest I am sick of everytime a discussion like this comes up you get people screaming racism at those discussing a very real problem.

Racism exists deal with it!

Also racism exists directed at white anglo saxons, and this is part of what I am talking about.

Now I truly believe there are good and bad people in every race,culture,religion etc but I also believe that some cultures are pretty darned nasty and if a person flees that culture well lets do a bit of digging to find out why they fled.

I have no problem with a proper refugee camp being set up preferably in an area where labour or other work is available and the refugees being watched and having to prove themselves to gain acceptance.

For example the practise of "female circumcision if any resident of Australia is found to have a circumcised daughter then they should be expelled providing the daughter was born here.

Any breach of law ( not a traffic fine obviously ) should result in them being returned to the authorities where they fled from. This particular point is a major one for me having been involved in reporting a place that did this barbaric cultural mutilation, thankfully the police responded promptly for once and they were caught in the act. 3 previous attempts the police arrived a day late, but hey it was victoria so they probably had to sell some drugs.

Anyway this particular practice while being loudly proclaimed as being religious in nature actually directly contravenes the words of the Prophet of Islam. "it is best to not cut, but if you have to do so then cut as lightly as possible"

So for me any person found guilty of doing this should be made to swim back to wherever they come from, but this is clearly not feasible.

Then we get the fuckwits who want sharia law ( what a joke like there is anything like law there ) to be introduced here and the others who loudly proclaim they will conquer us by breeding us out.

As I said previously there are many fine Moslems here but seriously they need to either clean house or point the finger and let the rest of Australia clean house for them.

Now for the white Australia comment.

Ok first it was a real dumb thing to say.

Second while the white australia policy originated from racism it did have one important point that is still valid today. That point is simply that you look after your own first.

I don't care if you look at it from a national level or a family level or anywhere in between you look after your own first regardless if those people are black, white, yellow, Green ( maori :P ) or anything else. Something our politicians seem to have forgotten.

Also if there is some sort of cultural connection it is easy for the newcomers to actualy become Australian. Thus Europeans yes there is some degree of cultural connection there also many of the asian areas that have a cultural connection, even Moslem or Islamic areas which have a connection. They thing is that we can take either good people from these countries or the scum so why do we get such a high percentage of scum from some areas?

I know some cultures are pretty much anethema to a society like ours which loves to maintain our illusions of justice and freedom etc so maybe that is the reason?

One thing I do know is that looking at the current trends if things do not change then there will be war. If it doesn't come from outside the country then eventually it will come from within it.

Granted this is a massive problem which includes problems within our " Democracy" regarding the quality of our elected officials and our laws also not to mention the moral situation with our elected leaders and the movers and shakers behind the scenes.

Anyway thats my say on it what do the rest of you think.

Ohh and OLP no I wasn't waiting on a comment from you I was cleaning the flat and trying to get my bloody comp working.

Archived