Dinklage as Tyrion scoop on Aint it Cool

The Blackfish

It did seem pretty clear to me that when Benioff and Weiss said fans had hit on some of the same actors that they were interested in, Dinklage was far and away the most obvious who'd be on both lists.

One hopes it pans out. He's an exceptional actor.

Considering the actors lining up in the competition they need to have some credibility in the main roles. Tyrion is one, Ned, Robert and Catelyn are the others in my opinion. For the kids it will be important to have good actors in the roles but as far as 'names' I don't think it's important to have them be recoginized actors.

[quote name='dizzy' post='1675106' date='Feb 5 2009, 10.20']Considering the actors lining up in the competition they need to have some credibility in the main roles. Tyrion is one, Ned, Robert and Catelyn are the others in my opinion. For the kids it will be important to have good actors in the roles but as far as 'names' I don't think it's important to have them be recoginized actors.[/quote]
I think GRRM has said that they "kids" will start the HBO series a few older years as compared to where they started in the books, so the same actors can play the roles through out.

This is great news. Lets hope he signs on. Whether people like the Tyrion character is one of the keys to the series' success.

As for the kids/teens - i dont see a problem casting guys in their early 20s for the likes of Jon, Joff, Robb and Theon. After all hollywood has cast 20 somethings as high schoolers for years now.

[quote name='Hostarius' post='1674993' date='Feb 6 2009, 04.25']B. Tyrion, Jon, and Danny carry the series. But Tyrion is vital to hooking the viewers in the first season.[/quote]

Eventually yes, they carry the story. But for series one only Dany is a pivotal character as she has no one else around her to shoulder the burden of her story arc. Tyrion is not the key to series 1. But he adds richness to the story.

[quote name='Brude' post='1675053' date='Feb 6 2009, 05.22']There are some other actors who could do a very good job, but he has to be at the top of anyone's list for the role. Hope it all comes together.[/quote]

Not at the top of everyone's list, but certainly on everyone's list.

I'm excited about this news less for the fact that Dinklage may be playing the role, and more for what an actor of the stature (excuse the pun) of Dinklage being in the pilot implies for the chances of it converting to a full series. They are investing in Dinklage because they expect a decent return on the investment. IF it all isn't just a cruel, untrue rumour that is.

Hopefully some time soon D&D will confirm it here. Or George will put it on his Not a Blog, or News.

• 3 months later...

Archived