Can Darkstar be... Rehabilitated?

iheartseverus

Its funny to me that I barely even registered Darkstar's existence til I read the Darkstar Hate thread--which was hilarious, by the way. So I went back and read through Darkstar's brief appearance in the book and realized-- I really like him! And I love his cool hair, and his 'I am of the night.' (Not so fond of him slashing poor little Myrcella, though.)

[quote name='The WaterDancer Knight' post='1687236' date='Feb 15 2009, 03.03']Who is Darkwing Duck ???[/quote]

You can tell the age and nationality of the poster by the cultural reference: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkwing_Duck"]Darkwing Duck[/url] a cartoon character of the early '90s, popular in the US.

Sorry, I can't tell you any more. My kids could, but I'm hopelessly stuck in old Bugs Bunny toons myself.

btw, the "I am of the night" line actually works if read in context. Isolated it becomes rather silly, and, yes, cartoonish.

[quote name='sharpe' post='1684890' date='Feb 12 2009, 18.27']I was not happy because i did not need another hero (or anti-hero), especially from south. I support north, already pissed off with ned and robb's death, deperately supporting arya and jon, despise new jamie, snobbish tyrells and martels and this guy comes like a black knight with mystery. no sir i dont buy it, but again i did not feel to hate him or mock him.[/quote]

The North shall raise again!

[quote name='sailor' post='1687322' date='Feb 15 2009, 13.35']The North shall raise again![/quote]

Of course it will. There will always be a Stark in Winterfell. And these pathetic Lannisters and all other enemies will be crushed!!!!

Otherwise I agree that Dayne is "the most dangerous man" because he is a loose cannon. It`s pretty apparent that was so. Others wanted to start a war by crowing Myrcelle, but he was as content to start it by killing her. There you have it in a nutshell.

A shiftless, decadent, self-pittying emo/goth who is good at swordfighting and is from an excellent house? Well, how much more dangerous does it get? He has potential to cause all sorts of mischief. It doesn`t have to mean he is dangerous like Bronn is dangerous (albeit he probably is that way too). It is the other sort of dangerous, mad king Aerys dangerous (ok that`s an over the top comparison, but you get what I mean). A danger to his surrondings (and to himself).

This is Doran talking after all. He likes order that he needs for his plans to go through. Troublemakers and mischief merchants is what he is worried about the most.

[quote name='Onion Knight' post='1687415' date='Feb 15 2009, 16.41']Reading only the first few posts here, and none of DS hate thread, im getting that people thinking him as westeros version for emo?[/quote]

Well, given that we have NO reason whats so ever to why he says he's "Off the Night!", yeah, I'd say he's emo.

His whole character is hilarious to me. He's a skilled swordsman, member of a prestigious House, has some apparantly great looks and probably has a sweet life overall, yet he's still depressed and "sad". Until we get a better reason to why he's so damned depressed, I'm still gonna laugh at him. And laugh at him I do. A lot... :leaving:

But if GRRM gives us some tragic or twisted backgroundstory for him, then I might reconsidder. Until then; :lmao:

[quote name='Winter Crow' post='1687561' date='Feb 15 2009, 20.09']Well, given that we have NO reason whats so ever to why he says he's "Off the Night!", yeah, I'd say he's emo.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

You mean aside from the whole "I'm not my cousin, the Sword of the Morning" thing?

[quote name='Winter Crow' post='1687561' date='Feb 15 2009, 21.09']Well, given that we have NO reason whats so ever to why he says he's "Off the Night!", yeah, I'd say he's emo.

His whole character is hilarious to me. He's a skilled swordsman, member of a prestigious House, has some apparantly great looks and probably has a sweet life overall, yet he's still depressed and "sad". Until we get a better reason to why he's so damned depressed, I'm still gonna laugh at him. And laugh at him I do. A lot... :leaving:

But if GRRM gives us some tragic or twisted backgroundstory for him, then I might reconsidder. Until then; :lmao:[/quote]

:huh:
Am I missing something? I can't remember any description of him at the book as depressed or "sad"( granted, I have quite a few time to do a re-read, so I might have just as well forgot it). Just angry at and annoyed of his superstar cousin, while he gets no credit at all( though we know for sure that he has a certain... difficulty to behead little girls ;) )

P.S. I'm jealous of his hair too.

[quote name='shapur' post='1688485' date='Feb 16 2009, 14.36']:huh:
Am I missing something? I can't remember any description of him at the book as depressed or "sad"( granted, I have quite a few time to do a re-read, so I might have just as well forgot it). Just angry at and annoyed of his superstar cousin, while he gets no credit at all( though we know for sure that he has a certain... difficulty to behead little girls ;) )

P.S. I'm jealous of his hair too.[/quote]

:agree:

I'm on my 5th reread and still can't find any indication of his 'sad' or 'depressed' or 'emo' nature. He's a bit cold, abrupt, seems to be smoldering about something. I think all those other descriptions started over in the Darkstar Hate thread and just took on a life of their own.

P.S. About time some of you guys started admitting you're jealous of his too-cool streaky hair!

[quote name='shapur' post='1688485' date='Feb 16 2009, 13.36']:huh:
Am I missing something? I can't remember any description of him at the book as depressed or "sad"[/quote]

I do believe Doran's daughter comments that Darkstar is filled with rage, or some similar description. That would probably meet the "dark" criteria bantered about.

Artanaro

[quote name='Artanaro' post='1688536' date='Feb 16 2009, 22.26']I do believe Doran's daughter comments that Darkstar is filled with rage, or some similar description. That would probably meet the "dark" criteria bantered about.

Artanaro[/quote]

Yes, he's filled with rage, but I can't see someone filled with rage as depressed or sad. He could very well, though, be a "dark" character.

P.S. I've never understood why you do write your name at the end of your posts. Is there a specific reason? It makes me wonder.

P.S.2 Hmm, iheartsrverus, maybe I should try this look too. It's much easier than dying my hair. :leaving:

Well, of course we haven't seen Darkstar cutting his wrist and declaring rubbish poems of death to the moon, so no, he's not a modern day emo. But that's not the assumption I'm making.
He apparently likes to dress dark and mysteriously, and sit away from the general public, and fancy himself with a hillarious title. And for all we know, he has nooooo reason other than being annoyed over his uncle for acting like that. So, he thinks that because people ask him all the time that he's the new Sword of the Morning (which in my eyes is actually quite an honor to be asked), he might as well become a total recluse and start cutting off the heads of little girls?

"I am.... Darkstar... Of the Night!"

Sorry guys, but that just cracks me up all the time, simply becuase he's got no reason to be "of the night". That's pretty emo in my eyes. At least medieval emo (if there's such a thing).

First off, I have seen no indications that he started calling himself Darkstar. He says, "Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night."

He is 'of the night' because he's NOT the Sword of the [b]Morning[/b], and because he doesn't WANT to be the Sword of the Morning. The Sword of the Morning title carries with it certain criteria -- most likely that you have to be a lot like Arthur Dayne. Gerold Dayne doesn't like his cousin and wants to distance himself from him. Saying he is of the night fits perfectly with that.

Archived