Breaking Bad Season 3

WarGalley

Before I begin, let me reiterate my central theme: I am unclear as to why Skylar is irrationally irate at Walt, to the point where she will not speak to him or effectuate any communication. She just says "You're a drug dealer" and leaves it at that. At the end of season 2, he tried to explain and she refused to even listen (after going off on the 2 cell phones). So, I am not saying Walt is a great guy, innocent or pure. I am saying that his wife is treating him unfairly.

See, this is at the heart of your Bizarro-World take on the series:

Watch it, there. Kind getting close to name-calling.

Walt is not a rational person. He's made a series of irrational decisions based on powerful emotions rather than his interests or anybody else's.

Other than the whole "keep my family financially safe forever" part of the discussion. Walt took calculated, measured risks that were buttressed by the fact that he had nothing to lose while, at the same time, a great deal to win for his family. He succeeded. And he is recovering from his cancer. Now, had Walt just died at the end of season 2, no problems: he did the right thing for all the right reasons. But because his wife got bent out of shape, he's a pariah?

Again, he obviously has some things going on; but I do not find him irrational. Would an irrational person try to keep his family together? Especially when Skylar has not been able to articulate why she wants him gone?

He, more than Skylar, is an irrational child. (Skylar never got in a fight with a cop for no good reason.)

Again, I am unclear if Sky is divorcing Walt because he got into a fight with a cop. Again, you are fixated on the wrong part of my argument. I am not saying Walt is a good guy, a fine fellow, a pillar of his community; or that he does not act irrationally sometimes (I will say that I am unclear on a single event wherein Walt's irrationally cost him anything). I am saying that Walt had his reasons, they were good ones, he acted on them and now (as of the last episode I saw) he was DONE with Meth cooking. So, this idea that Walt is is all in it for himself, does not hold up to scrutiny (if he was, as soon as Poultry man said "Three Million Dollars" Walt SHOULD have jumped at that; he didn't - and you will note that Gilligan's comments predated that episode: in other words, the reports of Walt being a monster have not borne out over this season).

All of my comments are that I do not understand why Sky wants to divorce Walt. She has yet to even say why.

Your conception of the characters (where Skylar is irrational, while Walt is coldly rational) bears nothing in common with anything presented in the show itself, and everything in common with gender stereotypes.

Except that I am not. Or maybe Sky was completely rational when she told Walt that she just boffed her boss. YEs, that WAS rational. And mean.

When has Walt EVER taken an action wherein he wanted just to hurt Sky with the same force of that scene? And she's the rational one? Hmmm....

Other comments:

First, this idea of a "buffer" between Skylar, Walter Jr. and Holly and the drug world is just nonsense.

Except for the fact that they have never been exposed to it, not once.

Second, there is no comparison between the sale of illegal fireworks and the trafficking of illegal drugs. I don't recall that there are firework cartels, or firework-motivated murders, or massive criminal conspiracies involving the manufacture and sale of fireworks. The comparison is ridiculous, and I'll say nothing further about it.

Okay. Fair point. Now, just point to me the time when Skylar said "Walt, because you rode with illegal cartels and drug pushers and murderers (all of which I never saw, mind you), you are a horrible person, THAT is why I want a divorce!" Just find me that part of the script and I will capitulate. Except... yeah... she never says that (its hard to grasp what she WOULD say because Sky is not really able to articulate much of what she dislikes). See, my problem is not that Walt is a drug pusher (though I guess I really don't give a shit about that either because he's selling drugs to people who want drugs); its that THAT does not seem to be Sky's problem.

I think Sky is a little miffed that Walt is still alive. He should have been dead by now. I think Sky is upset that she cannot move on with her life, her two kids, new job and old boss.

Third, just because Walter didn't ask his son to try to save his life doesn't mean he gets moral authority to pervert the Web site into a means for laundering drug money. I am amazed that you can think so.

Agreed. I remember when I typed the words "I think its morally permissible for Walt to pervert his son's web page." It was a glorious 5 hours ago... OH WAIT! That's right- I never wrote those words. What did I write again? Oh, that it was kinda ingenious that Walt did that AND that I am, sure THAT Was not the reason Sky was upset.

Again, I hate repeating myself (but I have to after I am simply being misquoted) I am only trying to rectify why Sky wants Walt out of her life when 1) he has done nothing to her, 2) has exposed her and her family to 0 danger, 3) has financially solidified the family for the next 20 years, 4) has stated that he will no longer cook meth (though there is no way for Sky to know the last part because she won't speak to Walt). How is that rational or fair?

Fourth, as far as I am concerned, when Walter's cover is blown Hank is screwed no matter who makes the bust.

You have no idea if that is true or not. If Hank makes the bust I think that goes a long way. Also, does not explain why Sky would not call Hank anyway- if she hates Walt's drug dealing soooooo much, why not drop a dime through Hank who could PROBABLY help shield her.

Even if Hank himself gets the credit, the inevitable question will follow: "How was all of this going on right under the nose of a DEA agent?" I can't say if this concern is on Skylar's mind, but I think it's a reasonable one. Perhaps that's why Skylar has been reluctant to speak up. I'll grant you that the only sensible option she has is to blow the whistle and let the chips fall where they may, but of course it's not my family and reputation on the line. Nor yours.

Thank you for that last part; I had almost forgotten that this is not my family. They way they are enclosed on that large box in my living room and every 20 minutes or so are broken up by a commercial made me suspicious, but you have solidified it.

To be fair to Skylar, you have to remember that we're seeing Walt's side of the story. Not only is she not seeing this side of the story that shows Walt slowly but surely being dragged into a moral morass, but she's bound to have a determinedly different take on things.

She is married to a guy who works as a teacher and at a carwash.

He gets terminal cancer.

Starts disappearing all the time, leaving her alone and pregnant at all hours.

He starts closing her off emotionally, clearly keeping secrets.

He lies about having a different phone, she knows it.

He disappears for two days shows up naked in a grocery store.

He's lying about his "memory loss", but won't admit it.

He's hanging around with a questionable former student involved with drugs.

He doesn't want her to go back to work, even though they're clearly struggling.

He tells her he has money given to him by his rich friends.

She makes the mistake of trying to thank them for it, only to be shamed.

He starts acting aggressive and mean, even to his family.

He forces his son to drink in front of him at a backyard party.

He hides a duffelbag stuffed with drug money in the house where his family sleeps at night.

Now, if you take away the fact that you've seen Walter's side of the story, and he's a sympathetic character (somewhat - largely due to good writing and Cranston's performance), that's a pretty shitty list. And it's far from complete.

Now imagine that some woman you know read off all of those complaints about her husband. A sister. A cousin. A co-worker. Hell, even someone on the board.

There would be resounding support for her to leave this guy. Which is what Skylar tried to do. She tried to get him out of her house. Granted, I think it's weird that the writers chose not to have her want to know WHY he did all of these things, but regardless - that list alone is plenty of divorce material for most folks.

I know alot of people who've gotten separated and then divorced. It's never pretty. And Skylar sleeping with her boss is clearly not helping things at all. But it's hardly something that just came out of nowhere. Walt is clearly off his rocker, as evidenced by this week's episode. But he's been a shitty husband for 2 solid seasons now.

Sure, he did it all for them. But that doesn't really make it any better. It just makes him more misguided and sad.

Other than the whole "keep my family financially safe forever" part of the discussion. Walt took calculated, measured risks that were buttressed by the fact that he had nothing to lose while, at the same time, a great deal to win for his family.
See, I think this is taking Walt's side too much. That's what he told himself over and over again.

But here's the thing - he could easily have been killed by Tuco. Easily. He could have easily been killed in the first ep when he got kidnapped. And yes, the family wouldn't have been much worse off than they were before, except now Skylar has to deal with being an expecting mom, having a disabled son, and oh yeah - being married to a drug dealer and drug manufacturer, and this being entirely exposed.

Or possibly having her husband never, ever appear again, and not knowing what happened to him.

Tell me, Rock - do you think that knowing that your father's a drug dealer would have any negative repercussions growing up? Even if he didn't do it at the time, do you think that might be bad? Do you think that you marrying a meth cooker would look good for any future prospects, or friends, or anything?

And you keep saying that he had this buffer; the only reason that nothing bad happened to his family was that he completely and utterly lucked out. He might think and rationalize that things were fine because of the outcome, but again - it would have been very, very easy for that to not be the case. It would have been very easy for his family to be home or for Tuco to make very different decisions. Don't mistake the outcome of the action with justification of the action. Just because it has worked out doesn't mean that it should have been. That's what Walt is saying to himself...but it doesn't make it true.

Again, I hate repeating myself (but I have to after I am simply being misquoted) I am only trying to rectify why Sky wants Walt out of her life when 1) he has done nothing to her, 2) has exposed her and her family to 0 danger, 3) has financially solidified the family for the next 20 years, 4) has stated that he will no longer cook meth (though there is no way for Sky to know the last part because she won't speak to Walt). How is that rational or fair?
If my wife told me (after being emotionally and physically distant, after not spending time with the kids, after being violent and chaotic) that she was a meth cooker I'd want her away as well. It would be entirely rational. Why would I want someone in my life who would willfully expose my family to such astounding danger and treat me with such complete disrespect? The trust would be completely gone. There would be zero gain from spending with that person. Fiscal security is not worth that.

Man, i don't know about this last episode. It sets things up for the rest of the season, but aspects of it made little sense.

Firstly, Jesse's blunder was ridiculous. He doesn't have cash to pay for gas?? He's got STACKS of it. So he trades meth for gas and smokes and in return gets a D.E.A. who knows him on his tail. A sloppy way of writing in the arc that's been building since season 2, with Hank chasing Walt and probably dying because of it.

Walt's behavior this episode also rang false to me. He spent most of his time acting like he was pounding Valium off screen.

Overall it all seemed a bit forced.

Irrational people might want to keep their families together, Rockroi. Irrationality does not preclude one from wanting normal things; it simply predisposes one to pursue those things in really odd and out-of-control ways. Kinda like things Walter White is doing. And despite your insistence, Walter's irrationality has cost him many things. He's been arrested, thrown out of Beneke's office, estranged from the skanky lawyer who helps launder drug money, etc., not to mention screwing up his home life and marriage.

Also, as Kalbear stated, the only reason Skylar and the kids have not been directly exposed to violence is dumb luck. If they'd been home when the cousins arrived, they would be dead. That's not a buffer, Rockroi, that's just good fortune.

Also, the point you made about preexisting conditions does not apply. Group health plans run by employers do no medical underwriting, and do not discriminate in that way. That's one of the strange things about the US health insurance system, one that has thankfully been addressed by the recent law.

Rockroi, just last post, you were saying that "Walt's past IS making in-roads on him. There IS going to be a reckoning. And ... its going to be Walt's fault. And at that point I really will be able to blame him for all that." One would think based on this, you would understand that Walt has taken a series of actions that has put himself and his family in grave danger. And since he had another path available to him that wouldn't have put him in grave danger, one that you don't want to focus on but which nonetheless was established as a legitimate option for him back in season one, one would think that you understood that Walt had made the wrong decision.

One would think wrong, because apparently you can't be consistent with yourself, much less the show or consensus reality. NOW you're saying that you want to know "why Sky wants Walt out of her life when 1) he has done nothing to her, 2) has exposed her and her family to 0 danger, 3) has financially solidified the family for the next 20 years, 4) has stated that he will no longer cook meth (though there is no way for Sky to know the last part because she won't speak to Walt)." So although you yourself concede that there will be a reckoning, which undoubtedly would put the family's financial position and even their lives in grave danger, you cannot imagine why Sky would object to Walt's decision to cook meth. You cannot even concede that Walt's actions, which carry predictable and terrible consequences that you yourself admit will happen in the course of the show, might be irrational. It's like a mental block that you have in your mind, that prevents you from understanding what follows from what you've already admitted.

Okay, so let me start by saying I watched MOST of the last episode last night. I was pretty disappointed in Walt. Walt was completely irrational in almost everything he did. He first decided to attack Ted and ends up, lamely, trying to throw a potted plant through Ted’s office window. It’s a pathetic move. And really uncomfortable.

Sky comes downstairs and you have a semi-funny but really LAME line about “talking to Ted.” Regardless, Sky COULD now go to the cops and say “My psycho husband attacked my boss because he thinks I am sleeping with him.” Cops would come and kick Walt out. And as well they should- this is LEGITIMATE domestic violence (intimidation at the workplace).

But Sky did nothing, but I do not blame the character; I blame the writing. The scene should not have even involved her; she came in so Walt could deliver the lame line. I really think the show dropped the ball here because now Sky SHOULD go to the cops but probably won’t.

Regardless, Walt, let me ask you this: why are you attacking Ted? It does you no good, it makes no sense, it has no up-side. I mean, Walt, if you really love your wife… try saying it sometimes… I will say this: Walt is the one trying to effectuate communication here, not Sky, but attacking her boss is no way to rectify their problems.

Walt then attacks Mort, which is only partly understandable because Mort is rough around the edges (and hilarious), BUT if you listen to Mort, you know he is making perfect sense. There is NO REASON for him to attack his wife’s boss; Mort is perfectly logical and cogent here. Walt is completely out of his mind. Walt attacking Mort, AGAIN, serves no good. Firing him does even less good. THANKFULLY, Mort knows not to give up on this.

Walt then flunks out of his job which makes me think 2 things: 1) he is crazy illogical, completely irrational or 2) (and this one is rough) he is ACTIVELY looking for ways to ruin his life SPECIFICALLY so he can go back to cooking meth. If its 1, its old. Look, your wife is leaving you at some point unless you act more responsible, more there, more real. Loosing your job is not going to do that. Trying to bang the principal is not going to do that. Its just making me want to throttle you for being either a nut or a dweeb.

If its 2… I can stomach that a little more, but it basically negates everything I had articulated above. Walt is just a monster looking for an excuse to act the monster. I am not sure about this, but the possibility is there.

Walt then yells at Jesse, but this I actually liked. Even if its drugs, WALT is the creator, not Jesse. Walt takes pride in what he does. Walt kind of flips here again and I again wonder if he’s just a nut-bag.

Unlike others, I am invested in Hank, and enjoy his story-line an awful lot. I think the tension between Hank wanting to be a good “good guy” and suffering from post-traumatic stress is compelling. I liked what he told his wife in the car, specifically, because he wasn’t trying to convince her, he was trying to convince himself.

I fell asleep shortly thereafter (but it was due to exhaustion, not boredom).

Let me address what others have said, but understand that Walt’s recent escapades put a damper on my desire to defend him or attack Sky.

But here's the thing - he could easily have been killed by Tuco. Easily. He could have easily been killed in the first ep when he got kidnapped. And yes, the family wouldn't have been much worse off than they were before, except now Skylar has to deal with being an expecting mom, having a disabled son, and oh yeah - being married to a drug dealer and drug manufacturer, and this being entirely exposed.

Calculated risk. Walt is dying anyway to an aggressive cancer. If Walt is killed in the first few episodes with Tuco (and Tuco did not kidnap Walt until season 2), his family is only slightly worse off than had he died a few weeks later. And recognize that I am not defending all of Walt’s actions; I am attacking Sky’s shrill attacks on Walt. Sky knows nothing about Tuco, so what is she upset over?

Or possibly having her husband never, ever appear again, and not knowing what happened to him.

This is legit. But at the time he “comes clean” she knows now, and instead of trying to rectify everything (or work through it) she hands him an ultimatum that says “You can never see your children again. Tough shit.” Is she upset that he could just disappear? I don’t think that’s it. I am not sure, but if she were, I would like it a lot better is she actually said so.

This is a big problem I have with Sky: I get a sneaking suspicion that either she does not know why she is upset OR the show does not know. Because as long as she does not articulate any reason, EVERY reason could, potentially, fit. Thus, we can all throw excuses up against the wall; its 4 episodes in: we do not know if ANY of them fit yet. This plausible deniability has me irked because it lets the character off the hook from having to let us know her real angers or anxieties.

Tell me, Rock - do you think that knowing that your father's a drug dealer would have any negative repercussions growing up? Even if he didn't do it at the time, do you think that might be bad? Do you think that you marrying a meth cooker would look good for any future prospects, or friends, or anything?

I thought many things as a child that I no longer believe now. If I discovered in HS that my terminally ill father decided to be a very very profitable drug dealer, that that lifestyle never impacted me, AND that he did it with the intention of solidifying his family’s financial security (and he succeeded) (and notice I did not say “sole” intention), than probably as a high school student, it may be difficult to understand, but as an adult? I may be a little more understanding of his motivations.

If my wife told me (after being emotionally and physically distant, after not spending time with the kids, after being violent and chaotic) that she was a meth cooker I'd want her away as well. It would be entirely rational. Why would I want someone in my life who would willfully expose my family to such astounding danger and treat me with such complete disrespect? The trust would be completely gone. There would be zero gain from spending with that person. Fiscal security is not worth that.

This is where I disagree. If my terminally ill (everyone keeps glossing over this part… hmmm… wonder why?), under-employed wife came to me and said that she had been a meth cooker (and this part is hard because Sky walked out BEFORE she knew), and that she had made $700,000.00 doing it, and we had 2 kids, a house, etc. AND that without that money our whole lifestyle was headed towards bankruptcy, I would NOT toss ultimatums at her before I heard her out. She is my wife; I owe that to her. I would sit her down and ask her what she had done and if she would continue to do it? Could she stop? Would she stop? Is anyone looking for her? Was she in trouble with the law or worse? Is she using? Etc etc etc.

In other words, I would want answers. I am her husband, I would deserve them from her. But then, I will not lie, I would see the upside. My wife is healthier; she secured our financial viability, she saved our children's future. If she agreed to stop cooking meth, I can easily see us working on from there.

And then we would move.

TN:

And despite your insistence, Walter's irrationality has cost him many things. He's been arrested, thrown out of Beneke's office, estranged from the skanky lawyer who helps launder drug money, etc., not to mention screwing up his home life and marriage.

I just want to reiterate that I had not seen last night’s episode before I engaged in this discussion. It would have been better for me had I watched it, but not because it forecloses on my problems with Sky (Sky is still shrill and strange irrespective of Walt’s irrational behavior that manifested in the wake of Sky’s vindictive infidelity), but more because Walt is becoming an irrational turd.

Also, as Kalbear stated, the only reason Skylar and the kids have not been directly exposed to violence is dumb luck. If they'd been home when the cousins arrived, they would be dead. That's not a buffer, Rockroi, that's just good fortune.

But how does this explain Sky’s anger? Or her complete desire to not communicate at all with Walt? Yes, its good fortune, but is Sky’s argument really, “You put our whole family in jeopardy, even though none of us have been in any jeopardy”? I think that had Sky ever just articulated the phrase, “Walt, you could have gotten us all killed” I would respect her much more. However, she doesn’t do that. She basically says, “Talk to the hand.” Its not even implied that that is why she is upset, mind you. She just goes off.

What sort of irks me here is that my argument is not a defense of all the actions Walt has taken. I recognize that he has done many bad things. But my issue rests in how Skylar responded. She did not hear him out or try to work this out with him. She instead just drops him; he is a bad guy because he is a drug dealer (we think this is what she thinks); she just wants nothing to do with him. Had she left it at that, maybe I could appreciate that. But she did not. She then exasperates it by cutting Walt out of his children’s lives WITHOUT EVER trying to work with him (ie: you can only see your children again if you stop delaing meth).

And I understand why the show did not do this: because Walt would have said “yes” and the problem would have been solved. But the show wants more tension and more excuses to get Walt to act like a maniac, so this gets them there faster.

Rockroi, I just don't think you're getting something here. Should Skylar go to the cops and reveal Walt's secret? Of course; in fact, as unpleasant as that option is, it's still the best of a bad lot. However, people both in fiction and in real life don't often do the wisest or most sensible things. Therein, IMO, is where the best criticism of Sklyar can be made. She's weak, and refuses to take the steps she needs to take to protect her children from her husband's dangerous, illegal, and increasingly irrational habits. However, I don't think her actions are a sign of bad writing; they're the actions of a woman who just cannot bring herself to do what must be done. Lots of people are like that...I know some of 'em, and I imagine you do as well.

Let me append my statement by saying that the best of Skylar's bad options is still pretty bad. It means losing her house and the cars, plus ruining her reputation and that of her son, as well as darkening the career of her brother-in-law. I can completely understand why anyone would hesitate before pulling that trigger, although perhaps if she knew that two men with axes had invaded her home intent on murder she might find her decision-making less fraught.

However, I don't think her actions are a sign of bad writing; they're the actions of a woman who just cannot bring herself to do what must be done. Lots of people are like that...I know some of 'em, and I imagine you do as well.

If Skylar is REALLY angry at Walt for selling drugs, than I agree with your post. But also add the way she handled it: look, if my wife was dealing meth and I decided I could not live with that (taking into consideration that she saved the family from certain financial ruin AND had a terminal illness), I would want more answers BEFORE I made the unilateral decision to cut my wife's children out of her life forever. The most note-worthy being "Will you continue to cook meth?" (Is anyone else perplexed that Sky has NEVER asked this question).

But that sort of sums up my problem with Skylar: we don't know why she is angry at Walt. She has never articulated it beyond throwing her hands up and storming off... twice. She never gave Walt a chance to come clean in season 2; she never gave Walt a chance to make amends in season 3. All that she has made clear is that she wants him out of her life (to an extent, I can understand) and her children's life (very harsh ... considering he will be in their life for a very short time now). Is it because he was a liar? Because he deals meth? Because he put the family in (theoretical) danger? Because he is a criminal?

Okay, if its "all of thee above", at least give the guy a chance to explain. He explains (to an extent) and she still wants him gone. To me, this screams of something else. To me, I get the sneaking suspicion that Sky wanted Walt dead by now; she mentally prepared for him to be dead, and he's hanging around.

This is NOT a mean view of Sky. Having helped many people bury family members after lengthy illnesses, I have been privy to many pre and post death confessions wherein the survivor will let slip that they were happy that it was over; that the sick person they loved (spouse, parent, sibling) was actually taking up too much time to simply die. They had mentally already started to accept their loved one's passing, and the longer they lingered, the more and more difficult it became.

I'm just saying, there is something to this.

Therefore, unless or until Sky comes clean with her anger, I have my doubts on much of her.

And her being there when Walt tried to put the pot through the window was bad writing. That's clear domestic violence; she could go to any cop and he'd be out of the house.

If Skylar is REALLY angry at Walt for selling drugs, than I agree with your post. But also add the way she handled it: look, if my wife was dealing meth and I decided I could not live with that (taking into consideration that she saved the family from certain financial ruin AND had a terminal illness), I would want more answers BEFORE I made the unilateral decision to cut my wife's children out of her life forever. The most note-worthy being "Will you continue to cook meth?" (Is anyone else perplexed that Sky has NEVER asked this question).

True. I also don't like the way the writers have had her basically ask zero questions of Walt. But then again, divorce situations are rarely chock full of answers anyway. And to be fair to Skylar, if she did ask that question, would she be in her right mind to actually believe Walt? The guy has a terrible track record with the truth - especially in this particular matter.

But how does this explain Sky’s anger? Or her complete desire to not communicate at all with Walt? Yes, its good fortune, but is Sky’s argument really, “You put our whole family in jeopardy, even though none of us have been in any jeopardy”?
The thing is that Skylar has known that things were...dangerous. Walt leaving in the middle of the night and her having to put wanted posters up? She doesn't need to know the particulars of Tuco to realize that when Walt says he was making drugs, he was gone without saying a word for a few days because of problems with that.

Furthermore, she knows Hank. Hank's certainly told many stories to her. She lives down there too; it's very easy to see reports that someone's house exploded or the neighbors got poisoned from fumes or simply '5 died in a drug-related shootout'. Again - she doesn't need to know what specifically he did or what specifically did happen; him announcing that he's been lying to her for a while now because he makes drugs lets her be completely worried about the family's livelihood. If anything, Walt not revealing the particulars is probably worse for him; Skylar almost certainly has a very horrible image of some of the things he's done that he probably hasn't done. Fucked junkies for some crystal? Sure. Done it himself? Sure. Gunned down people? Sure. Anything's possible when you smell like the man who smells like Crystal Meth.

If its 2… I can stomach that a little more, but it basically negates everything I had articulated above. Walt is just a monster looking for an excuse to act the monster. I am not sure about this, but the possibility is there.
That is Walt's character in a nutshell. It always has been, from the opening episode. He has been a man who was desperate to break out of the bonds that he put himself in. He hated his vapid family life. He resented his crippled son. He hated the lack of respect he got, and the inability to find a good job that he felt he deserved. Now? He's doing well, he's important, he's successful, and he can finally get some vengeance on those that shit on him. That's who he is, and who he always has been. The notion that after he gets that level of power and gets what he wants that he'll go meekly back to...well, anything - is absurd.

Umm...it's pretty clear to me why Skylar is angry at Walt: he has lied to her, often and consistently. He disappeared for a weekend after lying to her about where he was. He lied about his relationship with Jessie Pinkman. He lied about the source of the money used to pay for his treatments. He even concocted strange lies like that naked-in-a-convenience-store thing. He only comes clean after Skylar is on her way out the door, which at that point is a little late.

When you lie, consistently and outrageously, to someone you're supposed to care about, you demonstrate an utter lack of respect for that person. That seems to me sufficient justification for Skylar's leaving.

Edited to add: Before you and I get into the discussion about Walter's reasons for lying, let me tell you right now I think those reasons were, by and large, bad. Yes, at first he was cooking meth to pay for his cancer treatments and to see to his family's well-being after his death, but that need evaporated when he got the Gray Matters offer. He turned Elliott down out of pride, pure and simple, and that does not justify the lies he told his wife.

I'm really enjoying the way Hank's investigation is unfolding.

Next week should be interesting if Hank decides to put the screws to Jesse, or just follow him around.

I wish I had the older episodes, can someone remind me how Hank knows about Jesse and what happened with them exactly. I just remember him being interrogated but I don't remember why.

I wonder what Gus meant when he said he had excellent help putting the lab together, does he know other chemists?

I wish I had the older episodes, can someone remind me how Hank knows about Jesse and what happened with them exactly. I just remember him being interrogated but I don't remember why.

Hank found Jesse's car out at Tuco's place in the desert, and so they brought Jesse in for questioning. Jesse made it look like he had spent the weekend in a motel room with a hooker and didn't notice that it was missing; and when Tio refused to ID him, that was the end of the investigation into Jesse. (This is the same episode where Walt strips naked to explain his disappearance as being part of a nervous breakdown.)

ETA: And of course Skylar told Hank that Jesse was Walt's pot dealer, which is why Hank was there in the first place. (He thought that Jesse's car would lead them to Hank.)

1) Chicken Guy's manipulation was Walt was masterful.

2) OTH, the show's writers seem to be forcing Walt and Jesse on a collicion course, that is unrealistic. The two have invested a great deal in each other's well being, and suddenly having them go to war with each over these puny things...hard to swallow.

3) Hank's unfolding investigation is a bit more interesting that I first thought it would be...

I really liked last night's episode.

1. I thought that the way they reintroduced Jesse the way he used to be (and the way he can slip back into being) and his escapade in getting the RV was very well done. It shows a connection between the bad things they have all done, and the small, hair-line bad things they have taken part in that have come back to haunt them. I loved that.

Although, I also had to laugh when the dead-kid's mother had a picture of her son on the wall with Jesse and surrounded by stripper boobs. "That's the way I want to remember him: happy, full of life, and surrounded by skanky hoes." But it also begs the question: if she found THAT picture, did she also find the picture of her son's junk?

2. Walt was great. I thought they played every angle of that character perfectly: he obviously LOVES cooking meth because he is extremely good at it; he loves doing something he is great at. The fact that he can do it in a perfectly clean environment, in a lab that is perfectly suited for his needs, is perfect. He is enraptured by this possibility. And I like how the show seemed sincere: Walt said no, and he meant it. Yeah, he was intrigued, but he knew that his family could not survive this maneuver.

But then the reality sets in: his children will ALWAYS be there; they are his forever (chicken man played that perfect, btw). And in a flash, Walt realizes that Sky can do or say whatever she wants, they are still his children and he does not really want her as his wife any longer. He signs the divorce papers and moves on. What is also great is the scene from next week where we know that Walt is still going to use the money for his children and family. That has not changed.

3. Sky... be careful what you wish for. She wanted Walt gone, and then... light dawns on marble head. Ted ain't that great; Walt is not that bad; and the money is still just as green. And in a flash, (same flash), Sky realizes that she ... could get used to this. She scrambles to her lawyer (and the lawyer's part was ham-handed, but they acknowledge that; this attorney has met with this woman 3 times... and has not signed her as a client yet? And her big "wooing" moment was to call Sky stupid? She must be a misogynist! Regardless, that was not the best way to sign a client, but after three meetings I am not sure I can blame her). Anyway, its perfectly clear that Sky wants the comfort that money can bring; she re-evaluates her choices (you know? the way I kept saying she should have been doing the whole time?). And then... its too late. Walt gives in. He recognizes what Sky wants, recognizes what he wants and signs it all away.

And Sky HAS To feel empty inside because she now realizes (too late) that this is NOT really what she wanted.

4. Hank continues to entertain me and I continue to find his story compelling. I also may like the idea of what is going to happen when and if Hank finds out its Walt.

2) OTH, the show's writers seem to be forcing Walt and Jesse on a collicion course, that is unrealistic. The two have invested a great deal in each other's well being, and suddenly having them go to war with each over these puny things...hard to swallow.

I agree. Although I found the scene enjoyable (especially Mort), I was under-impressed with Jesse; in many ways he has devolved. I thought their dual was very forced. Maybe it will pay off, maybe not. But if you made me watch that 16.5 hours of Jesse calling his dead-girlfriend's number JUST so he could go back to meth ... meh...

Yeah, that was disappointing. Walt was in full on Hiesenberg/asshole mode for that meeting.

I'm going away for two months next weekend so no more Breaking Bad for me until the season ends. I hope it stays strong. Enjoy the show guys.

I don't find Jesse and Walts (hopefully transient) problems to be too unrealistic:

Walt's an intensly proud guy, he loves cooking and takes a huge amount of pride in it. For Jesse to come along and steal his recipe, right after he'd decided that he himself couldn't use it anymore... In his mind he's top dog. Jesse does what he tells him to. Fits right in with his character that he'd be pissed that Jesse is cooking alone. On top of that there's the family issues and his trying to rationalize away the plane crash and other damage he's caused...

Jesse still blames himself (and probably Walt too) for Jane's death, that's going to mess with his head.

They're both pretty fucked up right now, and fucked up people don't act 100% rationally.

ETA: I loved this episode. Hit all the right notes for me.

Archived