Formula One 2009 I

DJDonegal

It's almost time for the first race of the season in Melbourne!

So we've already had a lot of controversy and talking points in the off season. Let's outline some of those bad boys:

[list]
[*]Honda quit F1 only to be bought out by Brawn GP, while Button and Barichello keep their seats.
[*]Ecclestone wants to turn the points system upside down by declaring the Championship winner to be he who wins the most races over the course of the season. I see lots of potential problems with this approach, such as how one Stewards Enquiry could effectively change who the champion is (as it would have had Hamilton lost his Bahrain win last season, he would have gone on to see Massa win the Championship).
[*]Lots of the "smaller" teams are setting fast times. Williams and Brawn Racing have been effective recently, while McLaren appear to be comfortably off the Ferrari pace. I believe naturally gifted drivers like Alonso will benefit greatly from the rule changes for this year because it relies more on driver skill than technological developments. I like it.
[/list]

I look forward to seeing slicks in action again. I grew up with slicks as a norm for the sport, and for me they are a symbol of F1 cars. I don't know why - I guess the lack of treads is just fairly noticable compared to street cars when you're at a young, impressionable age.

Anybody got any picks? I picked Raikonnen for the last two years (50% ain't too bad?) but I'm going to go for Massa to continue improving and rack up a Championship win. I never thought I'd be tipping Massa for a Championship a couple of years ago, but he's reined in his gung-ho racing style a long way, and he really is a genuine contender.

I realise now I have tipped Ferrari champions 3 years in a row, but I want to make it known I am [i]not[/i] a Ferrari fan.

And my favourite driver is still Mark Webber (I know it says I'm from Melbourne but that's just where I live, I'm from London. This isn't some kind of patriotic blindness I've got going on).

Massa or Raikkonen I guess. Last year, I honestly believed that Massa would take it. And he was so close!

I have never been a Ferrari fanboy either, but I like Raikkonen, and the potential Ferrari has. Year after year they produce one of the best Formula 1 cars. Hopefully Brawn will be a fresh contender. And that BMW will continue to improve.

If we get three or four teams competing for gold, we are gonna get a helluva season :thumbsup:

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1729988' date='Mar 23 2009, 07.20']It's almost time for the first race of the season in Melbourne![/quote]

I hadn't thought of F1 all winter. And then I saw an announcement for the upcoming race and now I'm all excited.

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1729988' date='Mar 23 2009, 07.20']I look forward to seeing slicks in action again. I grew up with slicks as a norm for the sport, and for me they are a symbol of F1 cars. I don't know why - I guess the lack of treads is just fairly noticable compared to street cars when you're at a young, impressionable age.[/quote]

Back in the day (which makes me sound older than I really am), those slicks were as wide as most regular cars. With pit-stops, they laid out more rubber on the tarmac than last year's tyres were made of.

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1729988' date='Mar 23 2009, 07.20']Anybody got any picks? I picked Raikonnen for the last two years (50% ain't too bad?) but I'm going to go for Massa to continue improving and rack up a Championship win. I never thought I'd be tipping Massa for a Championship a couple of years ago, but he's reined in his gung-ho racing style a long way, and he really is a genuine contender.[/quote]

I started out as a Ferrari fan (in the days of Berger and Alesi, with some memories of Prost and Mansell), and I guess that feeling will never go away. I'm not overly fanatic. With Raikkonen and Massa, I just don't know. Raikkonen has everything he needs to reclaim the title, but last year he seriously dropped the ball. If he's his head on straight this time, he's most likely to win IMO. Massa can do spectacular things too, but he also has a tendency to suffer brain-farts when he has to make up for bad qualifying or generally adapt to adverse conditions. Raikkonen is more complete IMO. I'm basing this prediction off of McLarens atrocious winter-testing. Some caveat's all have to be made, but I hear the general impression is they're really [i]really[/i] slow.

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1729988' date='Mar 23 2009, 07.20']And my favourite driver is still Mark Webber (I know it says I'm from Melbourne but that's just where I live, I'm from London. [b]This isn't some kind of patriotic blindness[/b] I've got going on).[/quote]

LOL, isn't that a main ingredient of F1?

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1730003' date='Mar 23 2009, 08.09']Massa or Raikkonen I guess. Last year, I honestly believed that Massa would take it. And he was so close![/quote]

I saw a last year's season in an overview yesterday... Massa was very close. They lost some weird points during the season too (same as Hamilton, btw), making it even more close. Ferrari's crank-shaft misdesign, weird driver screw-ups, etc.

[quote name='burnt hound' post='1730003' date='Mar 23 2009, 08.09']If we get three or four teams competing for gold, we are gonna get a helluva season :thumbsup:[/quote]

Amen!

After last season, Vettel is my favourite driver. I just hope he can continue making good results this season, and hopefully get into a more competitive car for 2010.

Also, three or four teams competing for gold would be... [i]gold[/i]! :)

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1729988' date='Mar 23 2009, 05.20']Lots of the "smaller" teams are setting fast times. Williams and Brawn Racing have been effective recently, while McLaren appear to be comfortably off the Ferrari pace. I believe naturally gifted drivers like Alonso will benefit greatly from the rule changes for this year because it relies more on driver skill than technological developments. I like it.[/quote]

I'm not so sure. If there's anything the strange practice times have proven, it's that the teams that interpret the new changes in the best way will have the fastest cars this year. McClaren appear to have completely cocked up and unless they sort it very very quickly will never be in the points. Brawn have got it right and Button is setting super quick times. If their car is legal and reliable, and the other teams haven't got something up their sleeves, they will win.

So, I was just looking at the teams and I see there is Toro Rosso and Red Bull - why two teams for Red Bull? That's a lot of freakin' money to pour into this sport.

Right now there's two different interpretations of the rules, that of Williams, Brawn and Toyota and that of everybody else. We'll probably see the result of the Australian GP disputed.

As for Toro Rosso/ Red Bull, not sure why Mateschitz (owner of Red Bull) bought both teams. But development work and design is a big chunk of the cost and the idea was to recycle Red Bull tech in the Toro Rossi team. The latter, formerly Minardy, was always too small to build a competitive car on their own.

[quote name='DJDonegal' post='1729988' date='Mar 23 2009, 05.20']Anybody got any picks?[/quote]

I really have no idea who to pick for the Championship, which is nice in a way as it's more interesting when it's unpredictable.

It's always dangerous to read too much into testing times, but Mclaren do seem to be off the pace at the moment so even though I'd still suspect that they'll be able to improve during the season it might be unlikely that Hamilton will be able to defend his championship.

The initial testing times do seem to make it look like Brawn might have one of the fastest cars, but again it's difficult to really tell (since they've just saved the team from oblivion they would have plenty of motivation to set misleading fast times to try to attract new sponsors). It would be ironic if Honda have spent hundreds of millions of pounds over many years with a grand total of one single race victory only to pull out just on the verge of their car becoming a genuine success.

With Mclaren off the pace and Raikonen possibly still having problems getting motivated I guess Massa is probably the favourite by default, but I wouldn't discount Fernando Alonso if Renault have managed to produce a competitive car.

[quote name='Antonius Pius' post='1730018' date='Mar 23 2009, 17.07']LOL, isn't that a main ingredient of F1?[/quote]
Erm, maybe.

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1730021' date='Mar 23 2009, 17.11']After last season, Vettel is my favourite driver. I just hope he can continue making good results this season, and hopefully get into a more competitive car for 2010.[/quote]
I agree. I really liked Vettel last season and I hope he has a good year - but not a better one than teammate Webber. ;) Does this make me a Red Bull fanboy? I liked Coulthard a lot as well...

[quote name='Slick Mongoose' post='1730054' date='Mar 23 2009, 19.08']I'm not so sure. If there's anything the strange practice times have proven, it's that the teams that interpret the new changes in the best way will have the fastest cars this year. McClaren appear to have completely cocked up and unless they sort it very very quickly will never be in the points. Brawn have got it right and Button is setting super quick times. If their car is legal and reliable, and the other teams haven't got something up their sleeves, they will win.[/quote]
They're looking good, I don't doubt that. But Alonso completely outperformed his Renault last year, so if Renault are even within touching distance (and perhaps maybe not even withing touching distance) then I expect him to put up a good fight against Brawn GP and their seemingly lightning quick car.

You guys have not mentioned the best thing about Formula 1 this season - it's coming back home to the BBC :)

That means no more stupid adverts in the middle of the race just when something important happens

And it also means Fleetwood Mac - The Drive. When those opening bass chords start thrumming, the hair stands up on the back of your neck and you know you are about to see something special, well alright maybe not every race is like that. But I certainly feel optimistic that all the rule changes this year will make for lots of exciting racing.

As for who is quick and who is not - I suggest not taking too much out of winter testing. Until they arrive on the track at Melbourne we just don't know. It could only take one or two small changes to turn that MacLaren car into a competitive machine. We will find out at the weekend - can't wait :)

And there was me thinking I could make you jealous because you don't have the BBC in Australia - lucky you DJ, I am envious.

But yeah, buying the ticket probably will help....

Are you going for race day only or will you be there for Qualifying as well?

I just really hope that the changes in aerodynamics really do result in more racing. The new points system that has been proposed is stupid. Why don't they just go back to the old system of whoever finishes first gets 4 more points than 2nd place? That would be an incentive to win races while not making it the be all and end all.

Tip for the championship. I'd like to see Kubica win - hopefully winning some races too. I tend to wait until the first race is over though as I think Mclaren are being coy while others are exagerating pre-race performances. If alonso has a car that is in in the top 3 teams with regards to competitiveness he will win.

[quote name='serMountainGoat' post='1731271' date='Mar 24 2009, 10.23']And it also means Fleetwood Mac - The Drive.[/quote]

To be pedantic, it's actually called [i]The Chain[/i]. It is one of the best TV theme tunes around so I'm glad it's coming back - ITV's F1 music never really compared.

[url="http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jhy9wfNmsxz-RWQlx2BfoL2nIwfw"]Confirmation:[/url] There will be a protest against the result of the Melbourne race over the diffusers of Brawn, Williams, and Toyota. This could be one of those races where the winner gets points and trophy taken away weeks after the event. According to a German site the FIA court of appeal meets after the Sepang GP, meaning that one's result will be under reserve too. I don't think I'll get up early this year.

And there will be 26 cars lining the grid for 2010. Will this not simply dilute sponsorship in an event already suffering from the Global Economic crisis? More cars to watch means less time per car on screen, means less advertisers getting their screen time, means they want to pay less per team.

Does this make sense? Only if they expect all the teams to vote for the 30m budget that was announced some time ago, I guess, but not everybody will do that.

[quote name='Gerold Hightower' post='1730076' date='Mar 23 2009, 10.19']As for Toro Rosso/ Red Bull, not sure why Mateschitz (owner of Red Bull) bought both teams. But development work and design is a big chunk of the cost and the idea was to recycle Red Bull tech in the Toro Rossi team. The latter, formerly Minardy, was always too small to build a competitive car on their own.[/quote]

The irony being that Toro Rosso outperformed Red Bull last year.

I’m really looking forward to this season. It’s going to be good to see if it genuinely is a season where driver ability is the key factor, not the car. McLaren are by all reports slow, but it’ll be interesting to see how Hamilton goes because he does have a reputation as a great over-taker and genuine driver.

I’m also looking forward to seeing how Button gets on in a genuinely competitive scenario. Until Hamilton came along, Button was the great British hope and I’m keen to see if he’s genuinely a talented driver or if it was just patriotic hype by the British racing media. Similarly, I want to see just how good some of the not-so-high-profile drivers (the likes of Vettel, Kubica, Webber, Rosberg as opposed to Hamilton, Massa, Raikinnon) really are.

Not really sure who I’m barracking for yet this season. I’m not a Ferrari fan but I might support Kimi on the basis that he’s a nutcase.

Kind of glad it’s on the BBC, even if their coverage of sports all follows the same format, but I’m looking forward to the absence of ad breaks. But I will miss Martin Brundle taking the piss out of people on the grid. Sometimes I found his grid bits excruciating, but sometimes they were genius.

[quote name='Vestrit' post='1734327' date='Mar 26 2009, 17.07']But I will miss Martin Brundle taking the piss out of people on the grid. Sometimes I found his grid bits excruciating, but sometimes they were genius.[/quote]

Is Brundle not doing the grid walks any more? I know he's still doing commentary. It'll feel odd not having a race buildup with the inevitable exchange of snide remarks between Brundle and Bernie Ecclestone. I think the most excruciating bits tended to be when the producers despatched him to interview some celebrity on the grid and Brundle and the celebrity clearly had no idea who the other was.

Archived