Is this rape?

Waldo Frey

[quote]Slightly off topic, but this got me wondering: What is the problem with an event you cannot remember and that has no impact on your life?[/quote]

Because its disturbing as all hell. This this day I can't remember jumping off a swing when young, it just goes blank. I'm told I hit my head on something but its confusing as all hell being able to remember being on a swing and then the next thing is your leaning against a rail overlooking the sea.

[quote name='Maltaran' post='1734435' date='Mar 26 2009, 14.07']Stego, it seems that the man's problem in your example stems more from the wrongful conviction than the false accusation. If he'd been acquitted, would all those things have happened?[/quote]

The vast majority of those things occurred before his conviction. They even used his wife having left him already as 'proof' that he was guilty.

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1734431' date='Mar 26 2009, 19.05']This thread delivers.

Has someone won the bingo yet? Maybe we can close this thread now?[/quote]
I think we need to keep it open a bit longer, I don't think we've filled the quota of "All men are rapists"-accusations yet.

[quote]It's not some mysterious "culture of fear" that men impose on women. It's a logical response to the different things that men and women have to be aware of.[/quote]

Ah yes, those logical, unchangable laws set in stone from time immemorial.

Basically, it sounds like what you're saying is that your rules for what the respective genders should be afraid of is something universal. If that's what you believe - women get raped, men get beaten up - well, that's your stance. But that also implies that it's not something we can change by setting different standards. Maybe there's a connection between what we pass on in terms of 'common sense' and what becomes manifest. In which case there's nothing illogical about refusing to buy into the 'lock your daughters up' mentality, which is not quite on display here, but something like it. (Consider that given a different time / place, it would be considered 'logical' to literally lock your daughters up, all in the name of perfectly common sense. It all depends on what you wish to achieve, really.)

You're at least right that there's nothing 'mysterious' about what has been referred to as the culture of fear. It's pretty damn straightforward.

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1734450' date='Mar 26 2009, 13.18']I think we need to keep it open a bit longer, I don't think we've filled the quota of "All men are rapists"-accusations yet.[/quote]

My heart bleeds, every 28 days, for the hardship that men face in this world. Truly, what onerous burdens. It's amazing that men can still roll out of bed every day and go forth to rape women, what with all these false accusations dogging their heels.

[quote name='denstorebog' post='1734459' date='Mar 26 2009, 14.23']Ah yes, those logical, unchangable laws set in stone from time immemorial.

Basically, it sounds like what you're saying is that your rules for what the respective genders should be afraid of is something universal. If that's what you believe - women get raped, men get beaten up - well, that's your stance. But that also implies that it's not something we can change by setting different standards. Maybe there's a connection between what we pass on in terms of 'common sense' and what becomes manifest. In which case there's nothing illogical about refusing to buy into the 'lock your daughters up' mentality, which is not quite on display here, but something like it. (Consider that given a different time / place, it would be considered 'logical' to literally lock your daughters up, all in the name of perfectly common sense. It all depends on what you wish to achieve, really.)

You're at least right that there's nothing 'mysterious' about what has been referred to as the culture of fear. It's pretty damn straightforward.[/quote]

WTF? He's just using common sense. The dangers for men and women are DIFFERENT. So men and women should behave diferently to avoid them as best as possible. It's common sense.

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1734468' date='Mar 26 2009, 14.27']My heart bleeds, every 28 days, for the hardship that men face in this world. Truly, what onerous burdens. It's amazing that men can still roll out of bed every day and go forth to rape women, what with all these false accusations dogging their heels.[/quote]

Don't forget that our female oppressors are "takin' our jobs" all the while complaining about the rapes that they really wanted all along.

(The previous is a poor attempt at humor and should be read as such.)

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1734468' date='Mar 26 2009, 14.27']My heart bleeds, every 28 days, for the hardship that men face in this world. Truly, what onerous burdens. It's amazing that men can still roll out of bed every day and go forth to rape women, what with all these false accusations dogging their heels.[/quote]

The vast majority of men never rape anyone, and those that do are probably the least concerned about false accusations. I am hoping that I have misunderstood your point here; if I am not misunderstanding it, then I pray, for both the sake of the presumably innocent defendant and for the sake of the justice system itself, that you are never seated on a jury in a rape trial.

[quote]WTF? He's just using common sense. The dangers for men and women are DIFFERENT. So men and women should behave diferently to avoid them as best as possible. It's common sense.[/quote]

I know it is. I'm addressing the idea of a universal 'common sense', and how not buying into it may be the first step towards changing the game rules. It's been called a culture of fear in this thread, and there are at least a couple of women in my circle of friends who would know exactly what Lyanna referred to when she used that phrase. Make of that what you will.

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1734450' date='Mar 26 2009, 18.18']I think we need to keep it open a bit longer, I don't think we've filled the quota of "All men are rapists"-accusations yet.[/quote]

All men are rapists......in our minds (is it weird that I'm now having the cliche "dum dum duuuuuur" music in my head as I say that?). And as Jesus said "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire." I'll just wait for someone to make the comment that obviously with men and their minds, this has already happened.

[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1734468' date='Mar 26 2009, 19.27']My heart bleeds, every 28 days, for the hardship that men face in this world. Truly, what onerous burdens. It's amazing that men can still roll out of bed every day and go forth to rape women, what with all these false accusations dogging their heels.[/quote]
It sure is a lot of work for all us rapists. Do you have any idea about the kind of planning and energy that goes into it? I barely have time for my day job. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to rape people, just use my free time as me-time, but then I remember that since I have a penis it's my duty to be out there, lurking in the shadows, confirming everybody's worst fears about men everywhere.

:rolleyes:

This is over the fucking line, Billy.

You have your own issues that people belittle. One would think you;d be better than this.

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1734507' date='Mar 26 2009, 13.47']It sure is a lot of work for all us rapists. Do you have any idea about the kind of planning and energy that goes into it? I barely have time for my day job. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to rape people, just use my free time as me-time, but then I remember that since I have a penis it's my duty to be out there, lurking in the shadows, confirming everybody's worst fears about men everywhere.

:rolleyes:[/quote]

Well, it really isn't your fault and you mustn't let this get to you. Just drink a bit. It helps. Then you can claim that you're drunk too, so when you rape someone, you can claim victimhood yourself. It's a win-lose situation! So remember,3 shots of whisky or vodka before intercourse and you're good to go! :thumbsup:

[quote name='gryphon strike' post='1733790' date='Mar 26 2009, 04.43']Seriously before screaming rape the woman should have talked to the guy, so the laws have changed big deal both had been drinking so exactly what happened is probably never going to be made public.[/quote]

If she thought she was raped, I doubt she wants to "talk to the guy".

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1734507' date='Mar 26 2009, 11.47']It sure is a lot of work for all us rapists. Do you have any idea about the kind of planning and energy that goes into it? I barely have time for my day job. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to rape people, just use my free time as me-time, but then I remember that since I have a penis it's my duty to be out there, lurking in the shadows, confirming everybody's worst fears about men everywhere.
:rolleyes:[/quote]
It's simply amazing how quickly this thread turned from genuine, honest debate (sprinkled with a few general statements of opinion) - into name calling, mudslinging, male bashing, and stereotyping.
So, I guess that I must reluctantly wade into the fray again.

If all men are rapists, and all women are whores, then what is the crime in question? Is it just theft of a service?
If the accuser in this scenario is a female lawyer, who admits that she willingly drank herself into oblivion, is there any reason to even give her accusations a thought? She's female, she's a lawyer, and she's a drunk. In essence - she's evil, and she's a drunk.

I hope this little exorcise in absurdity has proven my point about how counterproductive taking a hostile approach can be... and I hope someone closes this thread soon.

[quote name='the Blauer Dragon' post='1734527' date='Mar 26 2009, 14.57']It's simply amazing how quickly this thread turned from genuine, honest debate (sprinkled with a few general statements of opinion) - into name calling, mudslinging, male bashing, and stereotyping.[/quote]

And quite disturbing that it was 100% the fault of a moderator.

I apologise. I just got fed up with all the bingo-remarks and had to say something.

[b]ETA[/b]
It's not fair to say it was all TerraPrime's fault. I opened the floor up with my remark about a rape accusation-quota.

[quote name='kungtotte' post='1734531' date='Mar 26 2009, 14.59']I apologise. I just got fed up with all the bingo-remarks and had to say something.[/quote]

No, the Bingo remarks were straight up trolling. At least the continued use of them. The first post was somewhat amusing, and intended that way, I think. The repetition was intended to mock the feelings of those whom they disagreed with.

[quote name='Daeric' post='1734437' date='Mar 26 2009, 19.08']Because its disturbing as all hell. This this day I can't remember jumping off a swing when young, it just goes blank. I'm told I hit my head on something but its confusing as all hell being able to remember being on a swing and then the next thing is your leaning against a rail overlooking the sea.[/quote]It's disturbing to not remember, but what about what happened that you don't remember. Does it matter if you had the worse or the best experience in the time you cannot remember, in fact, did it even happen?

I mean, for those who have blackouts, it's undoubtedly disturbing to lose a part of one's time, but what do they feel about what might have happened that they cannot remember?

About rape, for example, isn't it a trauma because of the memories of the act? So if you cannot remember, what's left? Not saying rapists shouldn't get what's coming to them, just wondering about what a victim would feel when she cannot remember, and indeed cannot be sure herself of what happened.

Archived