April 2009

Larry.

I was supposed to read my copy of [url="http://www.blackgate.com/black-gate-13-spring-2009/"]issue #13 of Black Gate[/url], but after a month of reading short stories, I'm feeling a bit burnt out on them. So, onwards with joy to Daniel Abraham's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-War-Long-Price-Quartet/dp/0765313421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238926756&sr=1-1"]An Autumn War[/url].

Just finished 'Last Argument of Kings' yesterday, and all I can say is that Joe brought the house down. The Siege of Adua really had me turning the pages. I have since started Gaiman's 'The Graveyard Book', which has been quite enjoyable indeed. I grew up near a graveyard as a kid, and would walk through it to get to school, so it has been especially enjoyable to me. I even found a grave once that fit the description of one of Gaiman's "Ghoul Gates". I am about 1/4 of the way through, and see no reason for not being able to finish the book in a couple of days.

I'm trying to get through Deadhouse Gates. I don't have a lot of time to read atm and I'm having lots of problems keeping characters and storylines straight. i wish the maps were clearer, too. I'm enjoying the book, but I might give up on the series just due to the massive size of it.

Let's see... re-reads of both [b]The Silmarillion[/b] and [b]The Hobbit[/b], while my memory of Middle Earth was fresh from LoTR.

Also, [b]A Confederacy of Dunces[/b] by John Kennedy Toole, which I had put off for years thinking I wouldn't like it. Silly me. It was fun.

Another short novel - [b]The Book of Skulls[/b] - by Robert Silverberg. A very good creepy occult story about the four most unlikeable college students ever and their search for immortality (well, I suppose Oliver was OK because he was too weak to be a complete asswipe).

I finally got my library request of 2666... :thumbsup:

Finished [b]Death's Head: Maximum Offense[/b] - yet another good, fast, military SF by David Gunn. Perfect for reading after something heavy or convoluted. Now reading [b]Wastelands Stories of the Apocalypse[/b] before getting Jim Butcher's [b]Turn Coat[/b] on Tuesday.

Well, that was quick. I finished Daniel Abraham's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-War-Long-Price-Quartet/dp/0765313421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239004056&sr=1-1"]An Autumn War[/url]. I thought the ending was really courageous and great and would have made a satisfying conclusion for the whole series. Although there's one more volume to come.

Just finished 'The Forever War' by Joe Haldeman. A very pleasant read. Not much characterization but I think he managed to get the uselessness of war across from a soldiers standpoint. My version starts with a note by Haldeman explaining that his book was a reaction to his experiences in the Vietnam war but even without that note anyone with a little historical knowledge would have figured that out. Some claim the Forever War is a reaction to Starship Troopers. If so than its a much better book. Better in writing (although not much) better in philosophy (to each his own but the forever war doesnt use strawman arguments) better in putting war in perspective to society.

Ive started in the Forever Peace (book 2 of the omnubus)

[quote name='Gormenghast' post='1745356' date='Apr 5 2009, 09.56']I'm trying to juggle four:

- The Colour in the Steel - K.J. Parker, I'm 70 pages from the end, I just need the final sprint
[b]- A Games of Thrones - George Martin, I'm about 100 pages in and not finding it so extraordinary (!)[/b]
- Viriconium - John M. Harrison, 50 pages in, I'm liking it more than Gene Wolfe's stuff
- Bleak House - Dickens, it's quite hard and I'm stubborn. 170 pages in but I feel like I got already most of what it has to offer and there's an alternation with extremely heavy parts and others that I enjoy. I know that if I stop I'll never read it, so I'm trying hard to go on.

While I'm trying to resist and move on House of Chains, Erikson is addiction now for me. I'll probably finish Parker, finish the first novel of Viriconium, then go back to Erikson.[/quote]
I had/have the same problem with Martin. Ive tried a ASoIaF 2 times already and couldnt finish although the second time I was 2/3 in. Ive got my hands on an audiobook version now and try it one more time.

Got an audiobook version of 'The Dark Tower' too. I wonder if its as good as people claim it is.

Yesterday, I finished [i]Ship of Destiny[/i] by [b]Robin Hobb[/b], [u]Liveship Traders, Book 3[/u].

Fantastic series. One of those that you cannot put down.
It was a re-read after 7 years since the first time I read it and before I read Tawny Man Trilogy.
No regrets about re-reading Farseer and Liveship Traders trilogies. Brilliant books.
I think Hobb is now firmly on a third place in my top any-number list.

I am going to read a few stand alone books before I read Tawny Man.

Cannot decide which one to read though...
[i]The Time Traveler's Wife[/i] by [b]Audrey Niffenegger[/b]
or
[i]The Book Thief[/i] by [b]Markus Zusak[/b]...
or maybe
[i]Cryptonomicon[/i] by [b]Neal Stephenson[/b]
?

[quote name='Peadar' post='1746452' date='Apr 6 2009, 09.53']Well, that was quick. I finished Daniel Abraham's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-War-Long-Price-Quartet/dp/0765313421/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239004056&sr=1-1"]An Autumn War[/url]. I thought the ending was really courageous and great and would have made a satisfying conclusion for the whole series. Although there's one more volume to come.[/quote]
I just loved [u]an Autumn War[/u]. Its ending was amazing but I didn't want it to be the conclusion to the series. I want the story to develop more and I'm so happy there's a fourth book.

I finished [i]Slaughterhouse Five[/i]. Still not sure what I think of it.

I am reading [i]Thirteen (Black Man) [/i]- Richard K Morgan. I like it so far.

[i]An Autumn War[/i] is up next.

[quote]Well, that was quick. I finished Daniel Abraham's An Autumn War[/quote]

That WAS quick.
I've never read any of his stuff, but I think its probably the next series I will pick up.

Right now I'm reading Shadow Gate by Kate Elliott, I've been enjoying it so far.

Finished Friedman's [i]Wings of Wrath[/i], which was. . .okay. I came into it with fairly low expectations, since I didn't think much of [i]Feast of Souls[/i], and it never really rose above them. Realizing I could read it as a [i]Dragonriders of Pern[/i] parody did give me some unexpected entertainment, though. I'll probably get the third out of the library when it comes out.

Also read (well, skimmed) Bishop's [i]The Shadow Queen[/i], which was delightfully trashy, just as expected. I now feel compelled to skim the original trilogy. Yeah, I know they're silly books, but they're like cotton candy. Terrible for you, but how can you resist?

If I do manage to resist, next up are Cherryh's [i]Regenesis[/i] and Walton's [i]Ha'Penny[/i]. Oh, and finishing Stover's [i]Heroes Die[/i], or else admitting I'm giving up on it.

Just finished [i]The lies of Lock Lamora[/i]. Quite enjoyed the book. Is the series worth going on with???

Next up I'm reading [i]Hyperion[/i], which I somehow have only just got around to...

Can't find a copy of [i]An Autumn War[/i] in bookstores / librarys anywhere around here, have had to order it off amazon ... Won't be here till the end of the month :tantrum:

[quote name='automne' post='1746606' date='Apr 6 2009, 14.09']I just loved [u]an Autumn War[/u]. Its ending was amazing but I didn't want it to be the conclusion to the series. I want the story to develop more and I'm so happy there's a fourth book.[/quote]

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything... I just prefer series to quit when they're ahead and this, to me, seemed a satisfying place to end the sentence. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong and I will certainly be buying Price of Spring whenever it appears.

[quote name='Mexal' post='1746492' date='Apr 6 2009, 05.20']I decided to read [i]Tides of War[/i] by Pressfield. I'm not far in yet so no opinion.[/quote]

Good Luck on that one. I couldn't finish it because it's told in first person by multiple people all connected somehow, so I couldn't tell who was telling which part of the story...

Last night I gave up temporarily on Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson, and started a non-fiction book.

The Strongest Tribe by Bing West

Currently reading [i]Matter[/i] by Iain Banks. Have been a fan of his [i]Culture[/i] sequence ever since I picked up (the, so far, superior) [i]Player of Games[/i] more or less by accident a few years back.

[i]Matter[/i] is far from his best work, but worth reading if you like his other stuff.

[quote name='Peadar' post='1746702' date='Apr 6 2009, 16.17']I'm not saying you're wrong or anything... I just prefer series to quit when they're ahead and this, to me, seemed a satisfying place to end the sentence. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong and I will certainly be buying Price of Spring whenever it appears.[/quote]
IMHO the whole series is exceptional with every volume being even better than the last. I am confident Daniel Abraham will not disappoint us.

I finished [i]Atlantis Found[/i] by Clive Cussler. Same old cliche plot. I ended up skimming the last 150 pages knowing our heroes would survive and save the world again.
From my TBR pile, I've decided to start [i]The Prince of Shadow [/i]by Curt Benjamin. It seems to be a standard epic fantasy trilogy but with a Oriental flavour to the setting.

Archived