Exercise and Fitness II

lessthanluke

Lifting weights is fun, and getting stronger and faster is great, but there is one thing I really hate about weight training: In the long run, it makes me bigger and heavier. For some reason I've never been able to comprehend, some people seem to actually like this, but I don't: I have better ways to use my strength than moving a heavier body.

Of course I realize that it is not possible to get stronger without some increase in muscle size, but I would like to maximize the relative strength (that is, the ratio between strength and my body weight) rather than absolute strength. Any advice about how to achieve this? I'm already trying to do few (at most 6) and heavy reps, and not to eat too much proteins.

I am confused. I am going to assume, also, that you are male. First, muscle weighs more than fat. If you train muscle and increase your muscle mass (while simultaneously reducing fat) then of course you will weigh more. Who cares about weight? Unless you're in a category where you need to lose weight in order to hit certain health points, no one cares about weight. We all care about body fat percentages, we care about inches and measurements, we care about heartrate and calories. Those are the numbers that matter.

It sounds like traditional weight training is not for you. Try resistance training that uses your own body weight against you, such as Pilates, or yoga. Those tend to "sculpt" the lean bodies that I believe you desire. But do not skimp on the protein. You are still breaking down muscle and rebuilding it. Eat your protein.

Lifting weights is fun, and getting stronger and faster is great, but there is one thing I really hate about weight training: In the long run, it makes me bigger and heavier. For some reason I've never been able to comprehend, some people seem to actually like this, but I don't: I have better ways to use my strength than moving a heavier body.

Of course I realize that it is not possible to get stronger without some increase in muscle size, but I would like to maximize the relative strength (that is, the ratio between strength and my body weight) rather than absolute strength. Any advice about how to achieve this? I'm already trying to do few (at most 6) and heavy reps, and not to eat too much proteins.

You can get stronger and faster without gaining much size and strength. I wouldn't worry about how much protein your taking in, its overall calories that matter. If your eating over your maintenance calories you will put on weight and if your not you won't. Its quite simple really.

You can get stronger and faster without gaining much size and strength. I wouldn't worry about how much protein your taking in, its overall calories that matter. If your eating over your maintenance calories you will put on weight and if your not you won't. Its quite simple really.

I do eat a lot of calories, but I thought the only way calories could make you heavier was by making you fatter? I have hardly any body fat, and never had. The amount of calories I eat doesn't seem to matter much. The only factor that seems to have any impact on my body weight is how much strength training I do. Only the muscle mass varies, the amount of fat on my body remains constant (and close to zero).

I do eat a lot of calories, but I thought the only way calories could make you heavier was by making you fatter? I have hardly any body fat, and never had. The amount of calories I eat doesn't seem to matter much. The only factor that seems to have any impact on my body weight is how much strength training I do. Only the muscle mass varies, the amount of fat on my body remains constant (and close to zero).

So... in other words, you have a very high metabolism, and look like a skeleton? If your metabolism is super high then you'll just have to eat a ton more to gain the same amount of weight (which is not all fat, and not all fat is bad) the rest of us do. My husband's metabolism is ridiculously high. In order to put on a pound a week, he needs to eat 5000 calories a day. 5000. A day. For one freaking pound. I could drink a 16 oz. cup of soda every day for a week and it's probable that I'd gain 2 pounds easy.

I am confused about your goals. Why are you exercising? What is your goal? Why are you so averse to fat if you already don't have any?

So... in other words, you have a very high metabolism, and look like a skeleton?

Yes, that's me. When I haven't trained for a long while (like a few months ago), I look like a skeleton. When I've been lifting weights for a few months (like now), I look OK (in my own eyes), and feel very well. After that, I gradually begin to feel too heavy and bulky.

I am confused about your goals. Why are you exercising? What is your goal?

To run faster and jump higher. I'm a former sprinter trying to get back in shape. Being too heavy is a handicap, especially on the 400 meters (which used to be my best distance).

Why are you so averse to fat if you already don't have any?

I don't worry about body fat at all, because I don't have any and don't expect to get any. I want to get stronger without gaining too much muscle mass.

Yes, that's me. When I haven't trained for a long while (like a few months ago), I look like a skeleton. When I've been lifting weights for a few months (like now), I look OK (in my own eyes), and feel very well. After that, I gradually begin to feel too heavy and bulky.

To run faster and jump higher. I'm a former sprinter trying to get back in shape. Being too heavy is a handicap, especially on the 400 meters (which used to be my best distance).

I don't worry about body fat at all, because I don't have any and don't expect to get any. I want to get stronger without gaining too much muscle mass.

Okay, things make more sense now. I have 0 experience with track and field and what goes on there, perhaps someone else in this thread can help you out more. Have you consulted any track coaches on what your goals are, and how to get there?

If your gaining weight cut your calories. Its simple. To gain more muscle and/or fat your body needs to have a calorie excess. If you don't want to gain muscle and/or fat don't eat as much.

Not Worth It.

Man, you edited right when I clicked. He wants to be better at sprinting, and you know runners have completely different needs from other athletes. If only the rest of us were allowed to carb-load.

You are so absolutely ignorant, I can't help but speak up.

I honestly think this is a troll and that you are joking. No one who calls them self a sprinter could possibly be averse to muscle. They are the only types of runners who look like actual athletes.

And if you had zero body fat you would be dead.

There are only two options. You are either a troll or a troglodyte. I have to assume the first.

ETA: That Usain Bolt is REALLY hampered by all that nasty muscle.

Run for Rabies

:lmao:

Speaking of carbs, once this pregnancy is over I am going back to my 0 cereal diet. I've cut cereal out of my life like what, four times now, partially because I'm lactose intolerant, partially because those are carbohydrates and sugars I am not interested in eating, but damn. Cereal is tasty. I am not wanting to experience the mouthfeel of oatmeal this very second though I have a huge tub of it staring me in the face every time I go back into the kitchen for more Special K with the berries.

C'mon Mina, kick yourself in the ass, no more cereal after this box of Special K is done. OATMEAL. OATMEAL. OATMEAL. CHICKEN BREAST. BROCCOLI. MORE WATER. Mina does not want to be a fat preggo lady. Maternity clothes are fugly. Mina wants to minimize the amount of weight she has to lose post pregnancy. C'MON, BITCH, EAT RIGHT.

*continues psyching herself up as she hits "Add Reply"*

Speaking of carbs, once this pregnancy is over I am going back to my 0 cereal diet. I've cut cereal out of my life like what, four times now, partially because I'm lactose intolerant, partially because those are carbohydrates and sugars I am not interested in eating, but damn. Cereal is tasty. I am not wanting to experience the mouthfeel of oatmeal this very second though I have a huge tub of it staring me in the face every time I go back into the kitchen for more Special K with the berries.

C'mon Mina, kick yourself in the ass, no more cereal after this box of Special K is done. OATMEAL. OATMEAL. OATMEAL. CHICKEN BREAST. BROCCOLI. MORE WATER. Mina does not want to be a fat preggo lady. Maternity clothes are fugly. Mina wants to minimize the amount of weight she has to lose post pregnancy. C'MON, BITCH, EAT RIGHT.

Min - you might want to take a look at cereals from Barbara's Bakery; they've got 4 or 5 different varieties and all are low in glycemic impact, high in fibers and, well, taste pretty good IMO. the lactose part...yeah, that can't really help you with but if you like cereal, can definitely figure out something available so you don't have to suffer with only oatmeal.

You are so absolutely ignorant, I can't help but speak up.

My ignorance is my reason for asking. :)

I honestly think this is a troll and that you are joking. No one who calls them self a sprinter could possibly be averse to muscle. They are the only types of runners who look like actual athletes.

It wouldn't be quite accurate to say that I'm averse to muscle, but depending on the goals of your training, you'll optimize for different results. A powerlifter will optimize for maximum absolute strength. A bodybuilder will optimize for maximum muscle volume and minum body fat. A sprinter or jumper will optimize for explosivity and relative strength (i.e strength divided by body mass).

As I wrote in my initial post, I do realize that it's not possible to get stronger without some increase in muscle mass, I'm just looking for advice about how to increase my strength without gaining too much muscle, to the extent that it is possible. One piece of advice I have seen many places is to do slightly fewer and heavier reps. I was wondering if someone had some similar advice to share.

And if you had zero body fat you would be dead.

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was an exaggeration. It's just not a problem, and it's not likely to become a problem. I don't worry about fat.

You could also have a look at Pietro Mennea at his prime. He was less muscular than I am, but ran the 100 and 200 meters far faster than I could ever dream of (10.01 and 19.72).

ETA:

Or, for a more recent example, Liu Xiang

I feel you! I had to give up cereal last year because I am gluten intolerant. I can't even have oatmeal. Now, I admit it's easier when eating that stuff is going to make you writhe in pain for 14 hours with a migraine and get all barfy, but maybe you can pretend this is what will happen if you eat cereal, and that will motivate you?

You could also have a look at Pietro Mennea at his prime. He was less muscular than I am, but ran the 100 and 200 meters far faster than I could ever dream of (10.01 and 19.72).

I think this might come down to a definition of what is muscular and what isn't. Looking at that guys legs and shoulders - he is pretty muscular. He isn't huge or apparently ripped like Bolt or most of the modern sprinters, but there's a significant amount of muscle on his body.

As LLL said - need to adjust what you are eating and potentially depending on the results, how you are working out. Start with the eating part first.

Archived