Exercise and Fitness II

lessthanluke

re: fashion

It depends on what you're doing. If you're lifting weights you should have a cotton tshirt and shorts or pants that are flexible but don't impede movement, shorts/pants that cling to your leg when they get sweaty (such as wind pants) are no good. Likewise you should have a cotton shirt for anything involving a squat because the cotton has 'grip'. a synthetic 'slippery' /breathable shirt that you'd wear for running will slip and slide on the bar. it should not be a sleeveless shirt because you don't want the bar on your sweaty skin (slippery), and that's possible with sleeveless shirts.

on the other hand for aerobic exercise, such as running on a treadmill, a white tshirt that gets transparent with sweat is kinda nasty looking. I prefer wearing the breathable synthetic shirts those days, nice to have something wicking away the sweat, unlike cotton's trapping it against you. :-p

I've been reading Rippetoe's Practical Programming for Strength Training and here's the program I'm starting on next, three days a week, probably Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Day 1:

Squat 3x5 across

Bench 3x5 across

Chinups 3xmax across (if 12-15 on all 3 sets, move to weighted Chinups)

Day 2:

Squat 3x5 across

Press 3x5 across

Deadlift 2x5 across

Day 3:

Squat 3x5 across

Bench 3x5 across

Pullups 3xmax across (if 12-15 on all 3 sets, progress to weighted pullups)

I'll do this for four weeks, then move an A B A B A B model like this:

A:

Squat 5x5 across

Bench 5x5 across

Chinups/Pullups (alternating days) 3 x max across

B:

Front Squat 3x5 across

Press 3x5 across

Deadlift 3x5 across

Body for life workout:

3 weeks or so ago I decided to take Stego's advice and try the Body for Life program. Problem was it has been many many years since I have done any weight training. The program has you do 12 reps; increase weight, do 10 reps, increase weight, 8 reps; then back to the 12 reps.

The first week I was barely able to manage just doing that number of reps without increasing the weight (in fact, I could not do the last set of 12, I know, so very weak)

Second week, I managed that last set of 12, but was still not really ready to increase the weights with each set.

Today I did it!!!!!! I managed all the reps, increasing the weight each time (except for the butterfly--only managed 6 reps the last time)

I am so excited to have gotten to this point pretty quickly. I just needed to get the muscles used to working again. I am working at pretty low weights, but I can see that I will be increasing them regularly.

I'll do the dance video tonight as it really works the shoulders, arms and upper back muscles, and I think I am going to need to work the stiffness out.

The back of my thighs are still sore from Saturday, but they should be better ny Wed when I do the lower body and ab work out.

ETA: total inches lost form 4-26 is 9 inches. 2 from each of the chest, ribs and hips 1 from the stomach, and the rest spread out. The chest and ribs seems to be back fat loss (YAY!)

Nice work Lany! Keep it up, that's great news! If you've been in shape before the muscles remember. Seems like you're accessing that kinesthetic memory.

As my exercise goes, I had recitals all day yesterday, and had to work (then go to the symphony) on Saturday. Weekend was a bust, didn't get my walks in. Unless you count walking in three inch heels and lifting a seven foot grand piano lid. Can I just say how pissed I am at being treated like a delicate butterfly? I am working the heels and I can still lift a piano lid, thank you, but my boss yelled at me for wanting to close the piano. I ran away screaming - literally.

Nice work Lany! Keep it up, that's great news! If you've been in shape before the muscles remember. Seems like you're accessing that kinesthetic memory.

As my exercise goes, I had recitals all day yesterday, and had to work (then go to the symphony) on Saturday. Weekend was a bust, didn't get my walks in. Unless you count walking in three inch heels and lifting a seven foot grand piano lid. Can I just say how pissed I am at being treated like a delicate butterfly? I am working the heels and I can still lift a piano lid, thank you, but my boss yelled at me for wanting to close the piano. I ran away screaming - literally.

:lol: When I was 4 months pregnant with Phillip* my unit had to do a week of weapons qualifications. I had to do all of it as well. Not a problem (except I had permission to remove the gas mask as soon as I finished firing instead of waiting for the all clear---didn't want to get sick into it ;) )

Towards the end of the week I got a chance to qualify with the 45. This was optional for me for this year, but would be mandatory the following year. My 1SGT said to be "Do you really think this is a good idea in you condition?" SERIOUSLY! I had just spent a week qualifying and NOW he is going to say this.

Needless to say, I went off. Don't piss off pregnant women (or take the last slice of pizza).

I think he was a bit shocked by my outrage as he just stood there staring at me like I had lost my mind :lol: But the result was I was allowed to qualify with the 45. (expert shot, I might add)

edit: *after so many kids, they all just blend together :lol:

Locke - it's good to know that the shirt I wear for cardio (synthetic moisture-wicking) would NOT be what I would want to wear for weights. I have a great bunch of cotton shirts I can wear, fortunately.

Now, I've been looking at Target, and these cute little workout skorts keep on drawing my eye. They would be so cute to wear when walking, or on the treadmill.

Yea or Nay???

Yea. I got one when I was with Curves and I love it. It really is cute.

Regarding gym clothes. I have never worn skorts (I run a lot), but I could see how they could look cute when one bikes, or plays tennis, or golf. As far as I am concerned, the most important two things to invest in are a sports bra (if you are a woman) and good sneakers. Good sport bras are instrumental when you run, or jump, play tennis, squash, racket ball, what not. They also get a lot of wear and tear and once they stretch - they are dead and need to be disposed off immediately. Good footwear is a must, as well, you cannot concentrate on working out when your feet are in pain. Everything else, I don't care - these are the clothes I sweat in, so any crap will do. I have t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, long pants, jogging suits, sweat suits, and it's mostly up to the weather to determine what I am going to run in. Only when I do yoga and pilates I am conscious of what I am going to wear - mostly loose fitting clothes, so I could stretch without restrictions.

I'm going to try working on the negative pullup to make sure my form is good. Do one and then make sure I'm getting the full ten second negative afterward.

But not today, because my arms feel like butter right now.

I had planned to go for a run this morning, but I'm not sleeping well at the moment and so I'm having a hard time getting to the gym in the morning. I think I need to change something about my routine so I can start doing that more regularly. For some reason my sleep has been really bad since we moved. Not sure what to do about it, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Bam. Hardcore.

:P

(I was actually thinking of you when I wrote that, too. Hmmm...WWSD?)

Trainer kicked my ass again this morning -- it's the low-weight/high-rep cycle now -- and really started hammering me on form. I'm pretty solid all around, except for keeping my head in a neutral position. So, that'll be what I focus on for the rest of the week as I go through my various exercises. Next time, we're going to start working on form for deadlifts. We did Romanian deadlifts a couple of weeks ago, but because I was struggling a bit with keeping my back straight and moving my hips, I'm reticent to do it without a spotter there to keep me honest. I've been practicing the motion at home in the mirror (without weight) and now that I'm not such a sad sack, I think we can start getting those into the repertoire.

To answer the question about pull-ups:

Basically, Stego covered 'em. Using bands for assistance (or getting an actual human to help you) were the first two suggestions from my trainer. He also said that various pull-downs will work the same muscle groups.

Regarding gym clothes. I have never worn skorts (I run a lot), but I could see how they could look cute when one bikes, or plays tennis, or golf. As far as I am concerned, the most important two things to invest in are a sports bra (if you are a woman) and good sneakers. Good sport bras are instrumental when you run, or jump, play tennis, squash, racket ball, what not. They also get a lot of wear and tear and once they stretch - they are dead and need to be disposed off immediately. Good footwear is a must, as well, you cannot concentrate on working out when your feet are in pain. Everything else, I don't care - these are the clothes I sweat in, so any crap will do. I have t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, long pants, jogging suits, sweat suits, and it's mostly up to the weather to determine what I am going to run in. Only when I do yoga and pilates I am conscious of what I am going to wear - mostly loose fitting clothes, so I could stretch without restrictions.

This. I was walking through my neighborhood the other day and this chick went jogging by. She had really large boobs and was obviously was not wearing a sports bra. Almost looked like no bra at all really, judging by the amount of 'movement' she had going on. I watched her go bouncing by thinking to myself. 'ow, ow, ow, ow, ow....'

I wanted to run after her and clue her in that she didn't have to suffer that way, but how could she not know?

Crazy.

Crap. We had the body for life book and I think took it to half price.

Should I go buy it again or can I implement the workout without it? I definitely need some upper body work but I don't know what to do.

I plan on getting the book, but I found enough info to get started on-line.

They have recipes, meal plans and exercise plans on the site.

Money spent on good sports bras is money well spent. I think it was the single most important purchase I made, going on this journey. It makes a huge difference to my comfort level in exercising.

Off the treadmill this week because of rubbing the skin from the back of my heel- damn new shoes! I did some 20 mins of rowing, and 20 mins on the elliptical, neither of which seemed to rub me in my hurty place, and I don't feel like I was slacking any. Also did squats (no weights, I'm still a baby at this), leg presses, leg extensions, and seated hamstrings. I feel good. Tired, but good.

I am sure guys have to keep their junk from flopping around. :P

Lany's right, we don't have to think about what happens when it gets sweaty down there with dangly bits.

I'm planning on starting on a serious muscle gain routine starting around November. I just want to enjoy the summer. I'm 150 right now (used to be 300 back in 2005) so I'm researching different methods and routines to gain muscle. Want I want to do is a full proportional muscle fill out. Only need a little in the arms and shoulders(they are a bit short but a couple pounds on each and I'll start to look like a chick magnet. I've got good Abs. You can't understand the feeling of being fat your whole life and then a year after losing all that weight you're staring at six packs. Surreal! As I stayed down in weight my skin tightened up so I don't have any loose skin which was what I was afraid of when I started losing weight. Any recommendations or pointing me to any websites or books about eating methods and muscle gain would be much appreciated.

Saint, if you want to pack on muscle, here is the basics:

-Lift right, lift heavy, lift often, and lift hard.

-Eat right and eat a lot of it.

-Sleep a lot, drink a lot of water, take vitamins (some will even argue this one).

Sounds fucking CRAZY, huh?

Saint, if you want to pack on muscle, here is the basics:

-Lift right, lift heavy, lift often, and lift hard.

-Eat right and eat a lot of it.

-Sleep a lot, drink a lot of water, take vitamins (some will even argue this one).

Sounds fucking CRAZY, huh?

Absolutely mad.

First workout of 5/3/1 today. Military Press day.

Archived