FMLA: Once again America is rather behind the times

In Poland you do get paid time off (I'm not sure about the amount though) but you must have paid your nsurance for at least 6 months prior topregnancy.

How exactly do they calculate paid time off? It varies from business to business.

Yes, we all want an economy like Bulgaria's.

Bulgaria's economy used to be weak not due to granting maternity leaves. Also, you might not be aware of the fact that it has recently (2007) joined the EU, which requires all candidates to satisfy strict economic criteria prior to accession. it's economic growth is one of the highest in the EU (5,8% in 2008).

So....me, in other words. It is my responsibility to ensure that you have a comfortable 9 month vacation because you made the choice to get pregnant. And I should have to pay for this every time you choose to do so. Thanks, but no thanks.

Leave it to a man to say something this stupid and sexist. If you want a woman to make the choice to not get pregnant, how about if you keep it your pants so she doesn't accidentally on purpose get pregnant? You act like men bear no responsibility in the matter whatsoever and therefore don't have to accept the consequences.

Comfortable nine month vacation? Is that what you think it is? Unfortuntately, your Neanderthal attitude is pathetically common.

I hope to hell you never get married. You'll be divorced in no time flat with an attitude like that. No woman in her right mind would put up with it and if you are married I really have to question your wife's sanity, but you probably don't have the guts to say THAT to her face.

So....me, in other words. It is my responsibility to ensure that you have a comfortable 9 month vacation because you made the choice to get pregnant. And I should have to pay for this every time you choose to do so. Thanks, but no thanks.

Fine, but don't complain about women who have abortions or single moms who go on welfare for financial reasons, because you said "thanks but no thanks." It seems to me that providing a social safety net to make things easier on families, about which conservatives are supposed to care so much, is a good use of public money, but whatever.

Mouse - Congrats! Good to see you back.

Why not just make it a new law: You cannont have kids unless you have a certain amount of money in the bank....like $15,000. If you get pregnant and don't have that much money, you will be forced to abort. And you will have to pay for the abortion youreslf.

Would that please you?

Awful disingenuous isn't it? All I said is I shouldn't have to subsidize your pregnancy, and that responsible people do not have kids they can not afford. I'm not certain that these are unreasonable positions to take.

So many things wrong with this. First of all, who says she *made* the choice?

Unless there was a rape, how was there not a choice?

Secondly, you're making it sound like a personal insult, but paying for each other through taxes is a pretty damn viable system, and you'd probably be surprised how many things are been supplied for you by others no matter which part of the world you live in.

A different argument, which I've had on this board many times.

Thirdly, if it turns out that a certain segment of the population simply can't afford going on unpaid leave, a segment that Lany believes she represents, what alternative do you suggest? Don't have children?

A large segment of the population can not afford Bentleys, they go without. Going without something you can not afford is a pretty obvious financial decision. I don't ask you to pay for my Bentley, why would you ask me to pay for your kid?

Leave it to a man to say something this stupid and sexist. If you want a woman to make the choice to not get pregnant, how about if you keep it your pants so she doesn't accidentally on purpose get pregnant? You act like men bear no responsibility in the matter whatsoever and therefore don't have to accept the consequences.

I hope to hell you never get married. You'll be divorced in no time flat with an attitude like that. No woman in her right mind would put up with it and if you are married I really have to question your wife's sanity, but you probably don't have the guts to say THAT to her face.

I am married, happily, and for several years. We have made a choice to not have kids at this time because we can't afford them. We take measures to prevent kids because we can't afford them. We call this "responsibility". I guess you are of the opinion that we should start pumping out babies and then go looking for a handout?

how is being paid by an insurance company different than being paid by taxes? Insurance company only work because a lot of people pay premiums so that someone else can be reimbursed in case of sickness. Basically, YOU pay for someone's sick leave (or stolen car).

Go ahead and ask ztem, if you don't believe me.

I do believe that that's the recommendation; I don't believe it's a recommendation that everyone can follow.

A large segment of the population can not afford Bentleys, they go without. Going without something you can not afford is a pretty obvious financial decision. I don't ask you to pay for my Bentley, why would you ask me to pay for your kid?

Well, you do expect me to pay for the roads and traffic infrastructure that your Bentley requires, don't you?

I am married, happily, and for several years. We have made a choice to not have kids at this time because we can't afford them. We take measures to prevent kids because we can't afford them. We call this "responsibility". I guess you are of the opinion that we should start pumping out babies and then go looking for a handout?

Hope the methods you use don't fail. They often do, ya know.

Mina, it's based on the amount of insurance paid, which in turn was based on your claimed income.

Does everyone have to use government insurance, or are there private insurance companies? Also, what happens to your business when you leave? You're not guaranteed that it will still run.

Well, those are all auxiliary questions. It seems like in Poland no matter what you do for work, you'll get leave.

Guest thebadlady

Congrats mouse!!

I didn't think I could save until my mom took over my money. I have a load of savings now, even at my reduced income. Just shows how bad I am with money. *shrug*

Well, you do expect me to pay for the roads and traffic infrastructure that your Bentley requires, don't you?

No, but I'm not given a choice in the matter. (And we could go into the arugment of the neccessity of roads vs. the neccessity of you having 9 months off work paid to raise your kid (as opposed to unpaid), but lets don't)

ETA:

Hope the methods you use don't fail. They often do, ya know.

Ours is proven 100% effective :)

When I stayed home with our daughter, the husband worked and claimed I had it easy because I got to stay home. We were both young. I cared for Bailey and kept an imaculate house at the same time.

Then he was laid off when she was about a year old and then I started working full time 6 months later. I'd get phone calls all day about how hard it was being home. And he didn't even do ANY of the chores!

So yeah, a real fucking vacation.

<on topic>

It would be nice to get three months paid leave. I believe some employers do this as a means of making their company "the best place to work". Perhaps in a capitalist country, when the economy is on firmer footing, this type of "perk" will become more and more popular because it enables a company to retain the best and the brightest and thus allow the company to be more competitive. This way, too, all the whiney tax payers will shut up.

Yeah, cause you know what doesn't benefit you at all Tormund? Healthy, well adjusted children.

And paid (as opposed to unpaid) leave in the first 9 months of their life is necessary for this to come about? I would bet most folks here were raised by mothers who were not given paid leave, and most folks here would call themselves healthy, and well adjusted.

And paid (as opposed to unpaid) leave in the first 9 months of their life is necessary for this to come about? I would bet most folks here were raised by mothers who were not given paid leave, and most folks here would call themselves healthy, and well adjusted.

I actually agree that 12 weeks is enough. 12 weeks paid, with the option of another 12-18 weeks unpaid and the job still there.

I would be happy with that. Hell, I'd be happy with just about any improvement to what we have.

(for the record, I am past childbaring, doesn't mean I can't see where a real need is)

Does everyone have to use government insurance, or are there private insurance companies? Also, what happens to your business when you leave? You're not guaranteed that it will still run.

um, there are private companies, and I *think* you can choose one if you're self employed, whereas as an employee, your employer is obliged to insure you in the government scheme, and you may choose the private one on top of that. not exactly sure tbh. And yes, there is the risk of your business failing while you're on leave. But then, you don't have to take the leave.

I actually agree that 12 weeks is enough. 12 weeks paid, with the option of another 12-18 weeks unpaid and the job still there.

I'd like 12weeks of paid leave myself. I don't see anyone lining up to pay for mine.

Pretty much any study ever has shown that babies only benefit from increased time with their parents. Especially at that young an age.

Doesn't answer the question. Can it be shown that leave, paid by money taken from others, is required for children to be well-adjusted and healthy?

Archived