Game of Thrones:The Teaser Ad!

"Winter Is Coming...This Spring on HBO."

hmmm :dunno:

seems the show is already ripe for parody. Winter is coming... has the potential to become the "They have a plan" of the 10s. Much like the BSG slogan, people may get annoyed when it appears that the slogan is a lie.

"Winter is Coming...This fall on HBO" thematically works, if still slightly nonsensical. Maybe they can have a "winter is here" and "Winter has gone/spring is coming" for later seasons?

When it comes to a full trailer there has to be a lot made of claims like "The series that revolutionised Fantasy fiction" or "The American Tolkien" - probably a good idea to get the LOTR comparisons in but then show that it is for adults with scenes showing sex, violence and bad language (whatever tv adverts can get away with).

I wonder when the Hobbit comes out? That would be an ideal place to stick an advert as the target audience are already sitting there (minus the kids - and they'll probably want to watch it too).

The good news is, based on a rough time line of when we might expect to see the series air, it looks like late 2010/early 2011 is the best guess. So that would work perfectly for the proposed "Winter is coming" promos.

I do like the idea of little teaser ads with quick little scenes (or even still shots) of characters with either a quote or a slogan, ending with "Winter is Coming. Date. HBO."

I also like the idea of trying to show that this is not your typical fantasy series. I think something like - having either text or narration say "This is not your typical/average [fantasy cliche or archetype]" followed by a quick scene, have 3 or so followed by "This is the Game of Thrones," followed by "winter is coming, etc" - could work.

Example:

-"This is not your average knight in shing armor." Sandor Clegane killing someone. Or threatening Sansa. Or just without his helmet on ;) You could even alternate this with a flashback scene of Jaime and Aerys.

-"This is not your average protector of the realm." Scene of ragtag members of the NW huddled against the cold, or Gared's execution.

-"This is not your average lost princess/heir to the throne." - scene of Dany doing something really un-princess-like. (I was thinking a scene of her visibly pregnant eating the horse heart at Vaes Dothrak. It's hard to think of something really out there that's not going to blow a major revelation.)

-"This is the Game of Thrones. Winter is Coming. Blah-blah Date. Only on HBO."

Add your own! :cool:

These sequences, one after the other, with the "" stuff on the bottom.

"A Guard of the King" with a shot of Jaime stabbing Aerys.

"A Devoted Father" with a shot of Ned beheading Gared, with his children visibly in the frame.

"A Brother to the Queen" with a shot of Tyrion drinking/pissing off the Wall.

"A Lost Queen" with Daenerys eating the horse heart while pregnant

"A Noble King" with Robert laughing and eating

"A Game of Thrones" Summer leaping at the camera with his fangs bared (you know, like in the scene where he protects Bran)

Go to black, and have Ned's voice (I think it was him who said it. Him or Cat) saying "Winter is coming. For all of us."

Ooo, that's pretty good.

You could also have:

"A Noble Young Lady" with Arya either doing the 'flicking food at Bran' thing from the pilot, or practising fighting with Needle.

"A Loving Mother" with Catelyn covered in blood after the fight with the assassin.

"A Beautiful Queen" with Cersei with a black eye after Robert 'honours' her

I do like the idea of little teaser ads with quick little scenes (or even still shots) of characters with either a quote or a slogan, ending with "Winter is Coming. Date. HBO."

I also like the idea of trying to show that this is not your typical fantasy series. I think something like - having either text or narration say "This is not your typical/average [fantasy cliche or archetype]" followed by a quick scene, have 3 or so followed by "This is the Game of Thrones," followed by "winter is coming, etc" - could work.

Example:

-"This is not your average knight in shing armor." Sandor Clegane killing someone. Or threatening Sansa. Or just without his helmet on ;) You could even alternate this with a flashback scene of Jaime and Aerys.

-"This is not your average protector of the realm." Scene of ragtag members of the NW huddled against the cold, or Gared's execution.

-"This is not your average lost princess/heir to the throne." - scene of Dany doing something really un-princess-like. (I was thinking a scene of her visibly pregnant eating the horse heart at Vaes Dothrak. It's hard to think of something really out there that's not going to blow a major revelation.)

-"This is the Game of Thrones. Winter is Coming. Blah-blah Date. Only on HBO."

Add your own! :cool:

This sounds like a marks and spencers advert. No offence. :P

Enigma's idea was great however.

Example:

-"This is not your average knight in shing armor." Sandor Clegane killing someone.

That seems doable. Start off with him fighting or winning the tourney, then show the scene where he chases down Mycah. End with him removing his helm.

Nice ideas Pita. What do you think about Jaime busy plowing Cersei for the Brother to the queen line though?

That would give too much away. I remember reading that scene for the first time, it was like two hard punches to the gut; Jaime and Cersei and then Jaime tossing Bran.

:lol:

This is not just fantasy.... This is HBO fantasy.

Good call, the two of you :)

I think the concpet for the idea is great though as it really does highlight that this is not your standard fantasy. These would make an excellent montage at the cinema or on tv. You know we could be make the advertising departments lives very easy in HBO...

Good call, the two of you :)

I think the concpet for the idea is great though as it really does highlight that this is not your standard fantasy. These would make an excellent montage at the cinema or on tv. You know we could be make the advertising departments lives very easy in HBO...

I wonder if we could get 'em to pay us for doing their brainstorming for them ;)

Archived