Exercise and Fitness V

needle

You weren't 3.9% bf. What bf you see abs at depends on the person. Some people see abs at 14%bf, others 8%.

I like this little blog:

To give you a benchmark for your body fat, here are some typical fat % levels:

Men:

Contest bodybuilder: 3-5%

Extremely lean: 6-9%

Lean: 10-15%

Average Male: 16-20%

Poor: 20-25%

Very Poor: 25%+

Women:

Fitness model/bodybuilder: 8-11%

Extremely lean: 12-15%

Lean: 16-19%

Average female: 20-25%

Poor: 25-29%

Very Poor: 30%+

Try to find a happy medium where you are satisfied with how you look, but where your diet is not stressing your body’s immune system to the point of causing sickness. You’re going to have to determine that level for yourself. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body!

3.9% bodyfat is fucking insane. I'm not saying you weren't, but if you were as a child, your parents should have been jailed for child abuse. That's not 'see your abs' skinny, that's 'see the veins in your abs' skinny.

3.9% bodyfat is fucking insane. I'm not saying you weren't, but if you were as a child, your parents should have been jailed for child abuse. That's not 'see your abs' skinny, that's 'see the veins in your abs' skinny.

Word. 3.9% is Mr Olympica bf. You don't get that lean without serious work.

It's actually not that unusually for distance runners (especially high school distance runners who are still growing) to have that. I'm sure mine was pretty damn close in high school and I was eating everything in sight. Even today, I'm at 4.5ish while putting in about 4000-4500 calories a day.

It's actually not that unusually for distance runners (especially high school distance runners who are still growing) to have that. I'm sure mine was pretty damn close in high school and I was eating everything in sight. Even today, I'm at 4.5ish while putting in about 4000-4500 calories a day.

4.5%bf?!?!?!?!?!!

ETA: What Stego said.

I was, in fact, 3.9% bodyfat. And saying something like my parents should be jailed is just outrageous. I ate plenty, I weighed more back then then I do now. Like I said, it was during cross country season, which for your information IS serious work, in case you weren't aware. Running is a serious fat burning workout, especially running fast at a competitive pace. Plus, by that time I had been running for years so I already had a runner's body. The White Wolf is right, it is pretty typical for distance runners to have low bodyfat, especially if you are naturally slim. There was someone on my team who had 3.8%, and I can tell you he wasn't starved or malnourished or anything of the sort.

It really isn't that unbelievable, and you can get another view on this matter that supports mine just by clicking on Lany's link. Also, a lot of the girls at the XC camp were around 11-12%. It just comes with being young and doing a lot of running. I mean there is talk on this thread all day about how people have different bodies, and you can't seem to believe something I said, probably because it doesn't match your experience, or maybe is even an opposite to your experience. But the point is it isn't really that rare, just give it some thought.

And maybe just try to be less offensive? I mean basically Stego you said I had terrible parents and LessThanLuke you just said I was straight up lying.

I know BMI doesn't apply to most in this thread, and is just a guideline, but mine has dropped from 34% to 28%

My scale also does body fat and was also at 34% when I started. :blush:

Lany, that is a big change. Way to go!

I'm feeling peppy and upbeat this afternoon. Rah rah! Just had a walk with the dogs (hot, sticky). I hate talking about body fat, so I am wrestling the topic back into reports on today's exercise regime. Tell me what you are doing.

I'm about to head in for my evening shift at work; maybe I'll get to do some pilates matwork, yay, if my class isn't too big.

I was, in fact, 3.9% bodyfat. And saying something like my parents should be jailed is just outrageous. I ate plenty, I weighed more back then then I do now. Like I said, it was during cross country season, which for your information IS serious work, in case you weren't aware. Running is a serious fat burning workout, especially running fast at a competitive pace. Plus, by that time I had been running for years so I already had a runner's body. The White Wolf is right, it is pretty typical for distance runners to have low bodyfat, especially if you are naturally slim. There was someone on my team who had 3.8%, and I can tell you he wasn't starved or malnourished or anything of the sort.

It really isn't that unbelievable, and you can get another view on this matter that supports mine just by clicking on Lany's link. Also, a lot of the girls at the XC camp were around 11-12%. It just comes with being young and doing a lot of running. I mean there is talk on this thread all day about how people have different bodies, and you can't seem to believe something I said, probably because it doesn't match your experience, or maybe is even an opposite to your experience. But the point is it isn't really that rare, just give it some thought.

And maybe just try to be less offensive? I mean basically Stego you said I had terrible parents and LessThanLuke you just said I was straight up lying.

I apologise. I believe you were misinformed. It really is rare to have bf that low. Dangerously unhealthy I might add.

I apologise. I believe you were misinformed. It really is rare to have bf that low. Dangerously unhealthy I might add.

I disagree, but it seems pretty obvious that we have very different views on this subject. So that can be the end of it I suppose.

Missing my workout tonight b/c of homework, and house cleaning, blah.

I disagree, but it seems pretty obvious that we have very different views on this subject. So that can be the end of it I suppose.

Missing my workout tonight b/c of homework, and house cleaning, blah.

I have done a lot of searching on the internet, and one thing has been clear: less than 5% (for guys) is not only unhealthy, but can lead to decreased performance.

While you have a right to your own views, you might want to check with health professionals too.

The ideal weight and fat-lean ratio varies considerably for men and women and by age, but the minimum percent of body fat considered safe for good health is 5 percent for males and 12% for females. The average adult body fat is closer to 15 to 18% for men and 22 to 25% for women.

Athletes tend to be at low end of this scale due to their increased lean weight (muscle mass). While low levels of body fat seem to be related to improved performance, body composition alone is not a great predictor of sports success. A linebacker needs to have enough body mass (lean and fat weight) to generate high forces and avoid injury. Body fat among elite athletes vary largely by sport. There is little evidence of any benefit when men drop under 8% and women drop under 14 percent body fat.

link

(I just wouldn't want anyone to damage themselves while looking to be healthier)

I hate talking about body fat, so I am wrestling the topic back into reports on today's exercise regime. Tell me what you are doing.

agreed!

I've been trying to do various new leg things (squats, lunges and this sideways walking thing with a resistance band) and while I'm doing it, it all feels like nothing... like I'm not working out at all, but today I'm sore as hell. Its the oddest thing, I can't tell what is making my legs sore since when I'm doing these exercises I can't feel a thing! weird.

but, on a side note, while doing lunges with small weights I realize how much my balance sucks now. I used to do a lot of yoga but had stopped about 2 years ago... the yoga gave me great balance, but it seems I've lost it all! bummer.

I think, following Stego, we should all post half nekkid pics of ourselves... Seastarr, you wanna start?? :leer: (just kidding!)

I have done a lot of searching on the internet, and one thing has been clear: less than 5% (for guys) is not only unhealthy, but can lead to decreased performance.

While you have a right to your own views, you might want to check with health professionals too.

(I just wouldn't want anyone to damage themselves while looking to be healthier)

The guy who had 3.8% was one of the best runners in our league, and arguably the best on our team, even with asthma.

I see this word unhealthy being thrown around a lot, and I see no explanations for it. I do however have experience being below 5% and I felt perfectly fine. Can you, who are saying it is unhealthy, attest to how you feel below 5% bodyfat?

I'm not running anymore, as I've said, and I'm nowhere near as lean as I used to be, though I am still pretty lean. But trust me, I was by no means 'unhealthy.'

The guy who had 3.8% was one of the best runners in our league, and arguably the best on our team, even with asthma.

I see this word unhealthy being thrown around a lot, and I see no explanations for it. I do however have experience being below 5% and I felt perfectly fine. Can you, who are saying it is unhealthy, attest to how you feel below 5% bodyfat?

I'm not running anymore, as I've said, and I'm nowhere near as lean as I used to be, though I am still pretty lean. But trust me, I was by no means 'unhealthy.'

I didn't say it, the Dr that I quoted did.

I was never that low, but then I am also female and went from little girl, to puberty in the space of one summer. (from a size 14slim to a size 5 ladies, thank you hips.)

I didn't say it, the Dr that I quoted did.

I was never that low, but then I am also female and went from little girl, to puberty in the space of one summer. (from a size 14slim to a size 5 ladies, thank you hips.)

I didn't mean you, singular, I meant you in the plural. Frowns at the english language for ambiguity. I imagine the female equiavalent would be around 8-10 but I really don't know. The point still stands though.

Archived