Actresses who could pass for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Twin

quigon87

The word 'we' makes me a bit uncomfortable, maybe because I read the WIC blog too regularly and the amount of mindless bashing of actors and especially actresses there (and not only there) is really embarassing and discourages me from identifying with the 'we' crowd. But that's my usual problem with fandoms.

Don't know if you've been back to WiC recently, but Winter has exorcised the trolls, and the level of discussion has risen remarkably, which is nice :)

Geees Actresses who could pass for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Twin? Tall order!!

Hmm a couple of the suggestions could possibly work, but I can't see the resemblence to Tricia Helfer and certainly not Maggie Grace.

:wideeyed:

Don't know if you've been back to WiC recently, but Winter has exorcised the trolls, and the level of discussion has risen remarkably, which is nice :)

Thanks, Silverstar, one can definitely feel the difference. :thumbsup: But I still fear the influx of moronic reactions after the role of Cersei gets cast. I was pretty disgusted with all the useless, nasty comments about Gillian Anderson and Jennifer Ehle, but the more recent outpour of hatred towards Tamzin was utterly mind-boggling.

Geees Actresses who could pass for Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's Twin? Tall order!!

LOL, too true. She needs to be tall and have a non-Hollywood nose, to begin with. :smileysex:

I hate to say this because I don't think she's a great actress, but Diane Kruger could pass for NCW's twin (even if they're 6 years apart)...

Here she is:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2428864768/nm1208167

and here is NCW:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2965346560/nm0182666

Probably won't happen since she's in Inglorious Bastards and most likely doing press on it for awhile...But they do look similar.

Although Diane Krüger is a German - I am a bloody German too - I´d rather see a great actress, than a similar looking face. The part of Cersei is too important. You can´t take a staid, bloodless actress like her, I believe.

Sopranos had Buscemi.

Six Feet Under had the tall scary old guy whose name I can't remember, he was in The Green Mile and The Longest Yard (remake).

Entourage had, and still has, a metric fuckton of famous cameos.

EDIT- GRRM might want to go back to Tuf and forsake all of us here, if only to fuck with our heads.

And Deadwood had wotsisname from XMen 2 and Manhunter. Brian Cox. Or was that a different show?

Buscemi's a big name but I wouldn't exactly call him an A-lister. Very high profile character actor, since he's not headlining movies.

If you can't remember the guy in Six Feet Under's name, he's definitely not got enough name recognition to be considered an A-lister.

Famous cameos are just that - cameos. Jeremy Piven's a B-lister at best.

The highest profile actors playing leads on HBO that I can think of:

Anna Paquin: Mainly known as that girl from X-Men. Oscar win was a long time ago.

Paul Giamatti: Well-known character actor, probably a bit higher profile than Piven

Aaron Eckhart (in the upcoming Hung): Some buzz from Batman but hardly a household name. Aaron Eckhart is not the same as Thomas Jane and I am a dumbass

Sarah Michelle Gellar (in the upcoming Wonderful Maladys): Typecast as Buffy. Her movie career mainly consists of crappy horror and indies no-one sees.

Just curious, but what kind of time commitment does a 10-12 episode show require for an ensemble cast?

GoT has multiple storylines that don't necessarily intersect (The Wall, King's Landing, and Across the Sea). The people working on Dany's set will probably never even see the rest of the cast, and will account for a bit less than a third of the screen time. At the very least, Jon and Dany will each take about quarter of the alotted time each.

So, if Cersei is only involved with 50% of the show, and a small part of it at that, how much time would someone like Kruger/Helfer/(any of the other good suggestions) need to commit each year?

Feast is the only time where she is "on screen" for a majority of the time.

If anyone is interested in that, notice that Diane Krüger (that's how her name is supposed to be written, if she would have stayed true to the strange customs of her home country) also has an american/english accent when she speaks German, as I heard during the german-synchronized version of 'Inglorious Basterds' last week.

She might make a nice Cersei, but I would prefer Tricia Helfer. She is a fresh face, not that well-known, and rather tall, so her interaction with Dinklage would be fun.

hehe I love that thought. :P

I suppose it is noteworthy to point out Helfer is 5'10 to NCW's 6'2. A nice fit size wise imo. Not that it really matters much..just a personal preference.

Remember that heterozygotic twins don't have more genes in common than ordinary siblings, so it's really sufficient if they look similar enough to be brother and sister.

Exactly! I have 3 sets of fraternal male/female twins in my family- they just look like brother and sisters. Same coloring and age, that's it. Sometimes fraternal twins don't even have the same coloring..

I'm going to come down on the side of Tricia Helfer on this one.

I've always wanted her as Cersei, and I think she would fit in perfectly with NCW and Dinklage. Kruger is too bland to play someone as complex a role as Cersei, and I think her nose is a little too pointed to mesh well with NCW's rather shmooshy one.

Buscemi's a big name but I wouldn't exactly call him an A-lister. Very high profile character actor, since he's not headlining movies.

If you can't remember the guy in Six Feet Under's name, he's definitely not got enough name recognition to be considered an A-lister.

Famous cameos are just that - cameos. Jeremy Piven's a B-lister at best.

The highest profile actors playing leads on HBO that I can think of:

Anna Paquin: Mainly known as that girl from X-Men. Oscar win was a long time ago.

Paul Giamatti: Well-known character actor, probably a bit higher profile than Piven

Aaron Eckhart (in the upcoming Hung): Some buzz from Batman but hardly a household name.

Sarah Michelle Gellar (in the upcoming Wonderful Maladys): Typecast as Buffy. Her movie career mainly consists of crappy horror and indies no-one sees.

Buscemi also became a Sopranos regular after the series had already established itself as a huge hit. Same for Brian Cox in Deadwood and James Cromwell in Six Feet Under. All three are staples in bigger films, but only as side characters (more's the pity...all three are fantastic actors).

Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy were probably the biggest names in Rome. Hinds operates in the same space as Cox, Buscemi, and the others. Purefoy's breakout role was Marc Antony (as he has leading man roles now - Solomon Kane, The Philanthropist, etc.)

Piven has been tested as a leading man, but even though I love PCU, he didn't make it. Before entourage, he was probably known mostly as John Cusack's wingman.

HBO's current and upcoming crop display the same trend.

Thomas Jane, despite being a very good actor, didn't quite make it as a leading man. Now he headlines Hung, and is doing a great job.

Jason Scwhartzmann is an indie god, but definitely not an A-lister.

Steve Zahn is very recognizable, but plays the sidekick to A-list leading men (like McConaghey and Bale). He was amazing in Rescue Dawn. I'm excited to see what he can do with David Simon material.

Boardwalk Empire looks like it has a great cast, but none of them are A-list headliners. Well, besides Martin Scorcese, of course.

It seems that AGOT is filling out its cast according to HBO standards. Dinklage and Bean are the big names with other somewhat recognizable faces.

I think they are fattening up Cersei's role a little more (thus the extra encounter with Catelyn in Bran's room in the added side we saw) in order to draw in a reputable actress. They did the same for Jaime and Tyrion. I have a feeling we will see meatier roles for the primary adults; you don't go out and get Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, a leading man type, and then give him nothing to do.

Same reason I think Cersei's role won't be filled by an unknown. I think the first season should feature its "name" actors, with the focus will be squarely on Bean, Ehle, Dinklage, Coster-Waldau, and (Cersei), with Addy semi-prominent and Merchant doing her thing across the sea.

I have a feeling in this first season, Jon Snow's role won't be quite as large as the books ... or at least Harington will have experienced actors to bounce off of; Dinklage at first, then whoever plays the Old Bear Mormont (I'm going to guess they'll take a shot at another respected British actor). I think Samwell will be played by an unknown, and there we'll finally see Harington stretch his wings, so to speak.

I have a feeling the kids will have more prominent roles in seasons to come, but HBO will hang its collective hats on performers of known quality to kick the first season off.

I have a feeling we will see meatier roles for the primary adults; you don't go out and get Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, a leading man type, and then give him nothing to do.

Or, Jaime is a very meaty role from the end of aCoK onwards. That doesn't work when you are making a TV series, so things will have to be adjusted. Thus we seem more of him in aGoT. Similarly Cersei.

I imagine whoever they cast for Cersei will be known like Ehle is known. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. :)

I purposely left off Deadwood and Rome. I believe those shows were cancelled in some fashion. That could be used to argue they might have succeeded if they had A-listers. (Really, the reason was cost iirc)

Deadwood definitely had A-listers: Brian Cox and Brad Dourif. Timothy Olyphant is also somewhat a rising star.

Steve Zahn is very recognizable, but plays the sidekick to A-list leading men (like McConaghey and Bale). He was amazing in Rescue Dawn. I'm excited to see what he can do with David Simon material.

Steve Zahn was the lead in one of my favorite movies. Chain of Fools has him as a barber, and Elijah Woods as his last role before Frodo as a teenage hitman.

Awesome.

I sure hope they manage to compress the storyline in order to tell the same tale with less actors. Somehow, I cannot see 1000+ characters working on TV. Back in my times as ASOIAF n00b, the multiplicity of people annoyed the hell out of me, and I can relate to poor TV viewers. Specially when characters begin to disappear for entire seasons:

Osmund Kettleblack at the KL sept: The Queen is mourning. You cannot go inside.

Jaime: I am her brother.

Kettleblack (amused) / Audience (perplexed): Grown taller, haven´t you?

I think this point is more about the fact that in these books quite a lot is made of the very close resemblence between these two characters (and the way this mirrors their actual relationship), rather than real world genetics.......

Remember that heterozygotic twins don't have more genes in common than ordinary siblings, so it's really sufficient if they look similar enough to be brother and sister.

Amber Valetta seems fine. Much better than Keeley Hawes in my opinion.

I realise many of the fans are just expecting a beautiful girl who can act bitchy. While I think Cersei is a bit more subtle than just bitchy (which she is as well). She is a Lannister, she needs that smirk and it's hard to find an actress that no only can be bitchy but most of all can be haughty in the right way (not untouchable but actually alluring as well).

Good luck to D&D on this one because as it'll be a long time character they have to pick it well.

Archived