Trips to Belfast?

JacMac30

Just wondered if anyone was considering visiting Belfast and the Paint Hall during production? I'm tempted but imagine it would be a lot of standing in the cold peering through a fence. Would be fun to show support for the project though (without being a nuisance of course!) :)

Jac

• 3 weeks later...
I actually know a few Belfastians so when I see them I'll ask if they can give me any insider knoweledge, if I can work out what they are saying.

To be honest you really won't see anything. I'm from Belfast and I've been working at the Paint Hall for the last week on 'Your Highness'. The security is very tight and traffic has now been stopped from driving past the paint hall since someone posted a picture of a YH set online which was taken from a tour bus. The most you could hope for is a quick glimpse of someone in the back of a car and that's hardly worth travelling all the way to Belfast for?

I totally understand your excitment (I'm excited too) but I'd hate for you to be disappointed once you got here.

The security is very tight and traffic has now been stopped from driving past the paint hall since someone posted a picture of a YH set online which was taken from a tour bus.

Yeah, I think that was me. I may have inadvertently ruined any chances of getting some Game of Thrones set pics. Sorry about that guys.

We're planning a trip to Europe (hopefully) next year and I thought about including Ireland but I doubt that we'd be able to see much GoT wise if we happen to be there while they are shooting the series (I hope) unless we happen to stumble upon an outdoor location shoot. I'm sure that would be protected by security anyways so yeah, probably not. Our other choice was New Zealand where they will happen to be shooting "The Hobbit" but everything there will probably be closed also. We're leaning towards Europe since we have friends we can stay with to save on accomodation costs.

We're planning a trip to Europe (hopefully) next year and I thought about including Ireland but I doubt that we'd be able to see much GoT wise if we happen to be there while they are shooting the series (I hope) unless we happen to stumble upon an outdoor location shoot. I'm sure that would be protected by security anyways so yeah, probably not. Our other choice was New Zealand where they will happen to be shooting "The Hobbit" but everything there will probably be closed also. We're leaning towards Europe since we have friends we can stay with to save on accomodation costs.

Well, always possible that GRRM and Parris may make a visit to Ireland when the series is being filled. If that happens, there is bound to be a BwB meet here. Not that you'll see the set but you might get some fun tales. :)

Ireland has some other fun things to see too apparently. :P

There has been quite a few films made in Belfast in the last few years. And each of them seems to have had some external shoots around Belfast. I have come across a few - they even filmed part of City of Ember in my street! I am certainly hoping to see something of the filming when it comes. I expect to see a certain amount of interested tourists around the city, but as to how many it is hard to judge.

There are plenty of things to do in and around Belfast, if anyone who comes does not get to see any filming, though. There are loads of good pubs for a start! For anyone who's serious about coming this is a good website to start from:

http://www.gotobelfast.com/

I would say it would be fairly unlikely that travelling to the Paint Hall would get you anywhere. The Paint Hall location is fairly secure, as I understand it, and they can route traffic away from the location.

You might have more luck with on-location shoots: it's not uncommon for crowds of onlookers to gather outside the perimeter of a filming location and, if you are really lucky, sometimes the actors come over to chat or sign autographs between takes: this happens quite frequently in Oahu when the Lost crew and actors are filming, for example. But it's certainly nothing you can bank on happening. More likely you'd end up standing around in the cold outside a cordon for six hours and occasionally get a glimpse of a couple of people in costume whacking one another with swords from about half a mile away, whilst security guards look disprovingly at you if you even think about getting a camera out ;)

I guess having lived in LA and NYC, the idea of seeing some film trucks and a bunch of cables and light stands lying around isn't so exciting to me, which is about all anyone is going to probably see of this shoot. Some external shooting days might be visible, but it occurs to me based on the script most of that will be inside some sort of castle court yard so you probably won't get a view of that, even. Even if you could get a distant glimpse of something, it'll be pretty boring to watch, mostly.

Unless you get a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket to go on set you won't be able to see much of anything. A trip to Belfast in the hopes of glimpsing something or someone interesting is probably not worth it.

Hadn't realised security would be so tight around the Paint Hall. Obviously I thought there would be security on the gate etc.

GRRM says he's heading to Belfast at some point so maybe as Padraig says maybe something can be arranged for then. I notice on WiC that Rimshot says there will be filming in Scotland too. That's suits me better :) Just need to find out where.

I understand what Brude is saying regards trucks and cables but I get excited about the production of TV not just the cast etc. It would be fun to see the books come to life and see everyone involved.

JacMac - who'd love to be the tea lady on set :)

Okay, I definitely want to do this, but it's going to be tough to coordinate because of college...and apparently the stupid security which might prevent us from seeing anything at all. Do we know for sure that they're starting filming on October 26th? And where they'll be filming first? Do you think we'll have that information in the near future? Because gods damn it, I want to see this!

I hope there is a chance that we'll get to see something, because getting to Ireland would mean coordinating dates with a couple of friends, so I can't just show up in Belfast on a whim. Lucky Irish boarders!

I would say it would be fairly unlikely that travelling to the Paint Hall would get you anywhere. The Paint Hall location is fairly secure, as I understand it, and they can route traffic away from the location.

I'm guessing it's on the corner of Clarence Street and Alfred Street.

Well GRRM has stated that he'll be signing in Belfast on the 3rd Nov. Pure coincidence it's my birthday or a sign from the gods?! ;) He's also stated that the producers and some of the cast might be at the signing.

I'm tempted....very tempted! Flights are cheap too!

Jac

• 3 weeks later...

Archived