Transmitting backstory and information

Werthead

I'm seeing the Battle of the Trident as a very brief flashback (no more than 10-15 seconds) of Robert and Rhaegar locked in personal combat. Dark lighting, perhaps almost black silhouettes against a burning red background, kind of like the intro scene to Bram Stoker's Dracula. Slowed down. Doesn't even necessarily need sound other than the musical score. All you really need to convey is that the two of them fought, Robert swung his hammer and slew Rhaegar, rubies flying slo-mo into the water.

(For what it's worth, did the two of them fight next to the water, or knee-deep in it? I've always been confused about that.)

(For what it's worth, did the two of them fight next to the water, or knee-deep in it? I've always been confused about that.)

I believe they actually fought in the water itself. The Wikipedia article says they fought "on the ford" which would indicate that they are actually in the water, not just on the banks next to it.

What I can't remember is if they are on horseback or on foot during the battle? I always imagined it on foot, but I've seen representations of it painted/drawn with them on horseback. I can't remember what (or if) the text specifies one or the other.

I think it is on foot...

just to reiterate my point I see no problem in having Ned or Robert look at the Trident, Arya and Sansa playing in it and then see these figures rise up out of memory interspersing with the current day, just going at each other, Maybe while Robert and Ned are recollecting memories.

Same goes for the Tower of Joy. Have them talk about it and then somehow see Ned in the distance walking towards a tower or no more than blue rose petals blowing over the ground.

Jaime in the Throne room... intersperse with Ned entering the room, this time as Hand. Perfect!

And it won't be too late. You don't have to show any of this in the pilot. There's no need to show anything but rivalry between Ned and Jaime in the first episode. No need to go and explain it right away. This is HBO, give the viewers some credit. The second or third or fourth episode would be more than fine. It would also give the viewers the sense that slowly but surely they are getting the delicate relationships and slowly understand some of the history.

Please D&D, tell me you've read this post and are going to do it that way... purdy plllleeeeeaaaassseee...

I picture it more like ankle-deep, so Rhaegar can get smashed to the riverbed with Robert's hammer.

What I can't remember is if they are on horseback or on foot during the battle? I always imagined it on foot, but I've seen representations of it painted/drawn with them on horseback. I can't remember what (or if) the text specifies one or the other.

Horseback can't be right. If you were to swing a killing blow with a warhammer while one horseback, the momentum would throw you off of the horse.

Horseback can't be right. If you were to swing a killing blow with a warhammer while one horseback, the momentum would throw you off of the horse.

Not really Robert was probably around 250 to 300 of muscle

but I think the fight started on horseback and ended on foot

Most depictions I've seen were on foot, and those are usually of the killing blow (or just prior).

I have always thought of the water being just below knee height myself, although rubies would wash away in the river with a strong enough current even at ankle depth.

Does it mention if Rhaegar was on the ground when Robert dealt the killing blow? I know it's more likely but is it actually stated in any of the books?

I'd like ankle depth, for practical reasons. Knee-deep water has too much of a comedy factor. Much too hard to move around in and do a cool fighting scene.

If they run out of time then they could always borrow the Black Knight scene from Monty Python.

Rhaegar: It's just a fleshwound!

I'm seeing the Battle of the Trident as a very brief flashback (no more than 10-15 seconds) of Robert and Rhaegar locked in personal combat. Dark lighting, perhaps almost black silhouettes against a burning red background, kind of like the intro scene to Bram Stoker's Dracula. Slowed down. Doesn't even necessarily need sound other than the musical score. All you really need to convey is that the two of them fought, Robert swung his hammer and slew Rhaegar, rubies flying slo-mo into the water.

I'm re-reading AGoT at the moment and came to the discription of the Battle of the Trident. They fought on their horses in shallow water. The fight started and ended on horseback. When Robert swung his hammer and hit Rhaegars chestplate, the plate and Rhaegars chest caved in. The rubies that were inbedded in Rhaegar's armor fell out and into the water.

It reads exactly:

"The had come together at the ford of the Trident while the battle crashed around them, Robert with his warhammer and his great antlered helm, the Targaryen prince armoured all in black. On his breastplate was the three-headed dragon of his house, wrought all in rubies that flashed like fire in the sunlight. The waters of the Trident ran red around the hooves of their destriers as they circled and clashed, again and again, until at last a crushing blow from Roberts hammer stove in the dragon and the chest beneath it. When Ned had finally come on the scene, Rhaegar lay dead in the stream, while men of both armies scrabbled in the swirling waters for rubies knocked free of his armour."

I'd personally prefer the Battle of the Trident complete with rubies scene (if there even needs to be one) in Dany's storyline. It comes up more naturally in hers, and it'd be more interesting with the Rhaegar slant. It's wasted if it's put with Ned and Robert early in the crypts, implying a history I probably won't care about until later. I mean, it's obvious Robert won. We don't need a bloody blow-by-blow.

In fact, the only bit of history I actually want to visually see in AGoT is probably the scene with Lyanna's one spoken line outside of the ToJ event (a la Simon and River's childhood scene in Firefly) when she and Ned talk about Robert's wayward cock.

Archived