The Queen has been cast.

Andhaira

It's Idris Elba.

He has no lines in common with Mr. Miyagi, but he has played characters who have gotten into big fist fights. His mother is Ghanaian, not British, even though he is. And maybe GRRM met someone who was in The Wire. Or Obsessed. Or American Gangster. Or any other of the billions of roles he's had.

It works perfectly! Not the ideal Cersei, but he'll definitely do the part justice!

String would be a most excellent Queen, having served as the hand of the Barksdale for many years.

I've been trying to find some likely candidate who was in another movie or TV show with Pat Morita, but not the Karate Kid movies - you know, had lines with Morita but not Mayagi...

I suppose it could be someone who was a kid and did a spot on Happy Days, or something. Problem is, Pat Morita had 164 credits in his career, so it's kind of tough. I was hoping it was Carla Gugino (love her), but I don't think so. How she could work: Morita and Gugino were in "Center of of the World" together. One link between GRRM and Carla via Alan Blumenfeld. And finally Carla starred in "Night at the Museum" with (not so) Big Ben Stiller...though I don't know what that has to do with Carla's mom, unless it was something in the movie.

Her mother has English descendant

Here's my attempt at linking Sophia Myles to the Big Ben clue:

1.) Sophia Myles played Lady Penelope in the Thunderbirds film. Sylvia Anderson voiced Lady Penelope in the original Thunderbird series.

2.) Sylvia Anderson also voiced Melody Angel in Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, which she also produced with her husband.

3.) One episode of Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons is entitled "Big Ben Strikes Again," where Big Ben the clock features heavily. In fact, the Wikipedia article on Big Ben mentions this episode directly.

Yeah, it's a huge stretch.

I'd bet a fair bit of money on that the "No lines in common with Mr Miyagi" clue is referring to his "Wax on, wax off" thing. Like someon said, she has probably been in a wax commercial.

I also feel that "Stranger to Big Ben" is referring to something more specific than not being from England.

I also feel that "Stranger to Big Ben" is referring to something more specific than not being from England.

If people are reminded that Big Ben is the name of the bell, and not the building, maybe that will focus minds in the right direction.

Her co-star in Hallam Foe was Jamie Bell, who she's apparently dating.......

so it could be something wierd like "Her mother is not the mother of this particular Bell who she's sleeping with, unlike Cersei who's mother was also the mother of the guy she was sleeping with......"

Ack. Convoluted.

If people are reminded that Big Ben is the name of the bell, and not the building, maybe that will focus minds in the right direction.

And also that the other clue is that she had no lines in common with Mr Miyagi, but maybe she should have. That doesn't mean she worked on the same movie/show as Pat Morita, but without sharing a scene, it may mean she played a similar role to that of Miyagi, but her lines were different. To me, at least.

I've only seen Myles in that abysmal Tristan and Isolde movie and she didn't convince me there. But it may be asking too much for her to build any chemistry with that dead frog who played Tristan, and she wasn't allowd to have any with Marke who was a lot hotter despite his missing hand. :)

So I give her the benefit of doubt that she can do well with better partners and a better director.

Btw, that missing hand thing would make a good clue, in case GRRM takes pity on us tomorrow. ;)

There speaks our resident campanologist with ringing authority.

Perhaps the surname is derived from the latin for bell 'campana' but the actress in question is from no where near Britain hence strangers? I've got no idea so I will leave this muddle to brighter minds than mine.

Ding dong!

It's Idris Elba.

He has no lines in common with Mr. Miyagi, but he has played characters who have gotten into big fist fights. His mother is Ghanaian, not British, even though he is. And maybe GRRM met someone who was in The Wire. Or Obsessed. Or American Gangster. Or any other of the billions of roles he's had.

It works perfectly! Not the ideal Cersei, but he'll definitely do the part justice!

Problem is he's 2 years younger than NCW. :thumbsdown:

If we're assuming the link is through Ron Perlman, that doesn't help much, just as with the Sean Bean clue. The guy's been in so many movies that listing every viable actress he's appeared with would be nigh on impossible.

I like Naomi Watts, she is the most talented actress mentioned so far and she is in the right age bracket. The only problem is that she's pretty big in Hollywood right now, although arguably not as big as she was a few years ago when RING and KING KONG came out.

Sophia Myles is a great actress and she's got a good look for the part, but she's too young compared to NCW. We can expected a few years' age difference, but ten years is really pushing it.

Elisabeth Shue has the opposite problem, she's six years older than NCW and, possibly being harsh, looks it. That said, if they changing it so Jaime and Cersei are no longer twins but just brother and sister, it makes a bit more sense for Cersei to be the older one. Jaime being the older one puts a different slant on the relationship which I think would make Jaime a lot harder to empathise with later on.

Tricia Helfer has been dismissed several times due to her forthcoming new series, but age-wise is in the right bracket and none of her parents are English. In this case I'm guessing it's a BSG line that is being referred to, but I'm not sure what one that would be. The 'Six degrees' thing might be a bit obvious though. She's also in the right fame bracket. Despite several attempts, she hasn't broken into movies and seems reasonably happy continuing to do TV and computer game voiceover work (she's just been announced as doing the voice of Sarah Kerrigan in STARCRAFT 2).

Problem is he's 2 years younger than NCW. :thumbsdown:

Yes, because otherwise he'd be an absolutely perfect choice in every other respect.

The only other random idea I had was someone who had a mother whose surname was something like Noble or Nobel.

'no bell' = stranger to Big Ben - geddit?

However, that's just silly.

:P

Nurse! Dried frog pills!

Sophia Myles is a great actress and she's got a good look for the part, but she's too young compared to NCW. We can expected a few years' age difference, but ten years is really pushing it.

On the other hand, HBO wants to make money with that series and get lots of people to watch it, buy the DVDs and all. And let's face it, Joe Average wants to see younger women in female lead roles and won't care that it's different in the book. Cersei is the role where they can cater to the audience (Cat needs to have a certain age because her kids are older, and Dany will attract a different age group).

Make them siblings, not twins, and if you want to 'whitewash' Jaime, you can always have a flashback where she seduces him. ;)

Does anyone know of any charity work that George RR Martin has done or contributed to?

Kevin Bacon launched SixDegrees.org, a web site that builds on the popularity of the "small world phenomenon" to create a charitable social network and inspire giving to charities online.

Bacon started the network with celebrities who are highlighting their favorite charities – including Kyra Sedgwick (Natural Resources Defense Council), Nicole Kidman (UNIFEM), Ashley Judd (YouthAIDS), Bradley Whitford and Jane Kaczmarek (Clothes off Our Back), Dana Delany (Scleroderma Research Foundation), Robert Duvall (Pro Mujer), Rosie O'Donnell (Rosie's For All Kids Foundation), and Jessica Simpson (Operation Smile) — and he encouraged everyone to be celebrities for their own causes by joining the Six Degrees movement.

Archived