Talk me down.

Justinian

So a limited edition GAME OF THRONES (19/500) sold last week on Ebay for about $1400. Now I'm trying to resist selling my lettered set of THRONES through FEAST on ebay. I don't want to but I could use the cash.

Please somebody tell me that this is a stupid idea and why so I don't do something I'll regret.

(blush) I was the person that purchased the limited edition of Game of Thrones on eBay last week (finally completing my set) and I would say that there is definitely a lot on interest in book 1 but not so sure about the others.

An auction for limited editions of book 1, 2 and 3 (all with the same number) was listed twice in late October/early November and received no bids at $2,300. There is also a limited edition of book 1 available for the "Buy It Now" price of $2,399. (Myself and one other person each made two offers to buy it but those offers were rejected/ignored by the seller.)(Note: This happens to be the same seller than purchased a collection of 8 George Martin 1st editions including limited editions of book 1 and book 2 and is trying to turn a $1,300 investment into a profit of over $3,000 based on the listing price of the three auctions. Not bad for 6 months if the person actually ends up selling them...)

A limited edition of book 4 recently sold on eBay for less than cost at around $225! Book 2 and 3 have also sold and/are listed Abebooks for prices in the $400-500 range each.

That said, a complete collection of four limited editions with the same number is bound to attract some interest but I suggest pricing it to sell if that is your intention. You may want to consider starting it around the low $2,000 range and seeing what happens.

You do have the fact that it's a set and lettered going for you, but as eveleal said, it was purchased to complete a set, so may have sold at a greater price than someone would otherwise pay for it.

You are one of very few people that have a lettered set. Ignoring what they are worth, how cool is it to know that you have the most limited version of an amazing book?

I have a broken numbered set (my AGoT doesn't match, but I have the same number and rights for the others) and I will never sell them.

Isn't there anything else you can sell?

You are one of very few people that have a lettered set. Ignoring what they are worth, how cool is it to know that you have the most limited version of an amazing book?

Kinda dependent on how much importance you place on them. The books themselves aren't any better because they're a lettered set than they would be if you bough them today from Amazon.

It's a lovely thing to have, to be sure, but balanced against money to improve the lot of yourself and your family...that's a difficult balance. Depends I guess on how much genuine benefit you're going to get from the money - if you've got a short term cashflow issue that you can probably overcome in time then don't sacrifice something that's of great sentimental value, but if it's a significant shortfall and you need that money for total necessities then you're talking about something nice on your bookshelf vs real improvement to your situation.

Kinda dependent on how much importance you place on them. The books themselves aren't any better because they're a lettered set than they would be if you bough them today from Amazon.

It's a lovely thing to have, to be sure, but balanced against money to improve the lot of yourself and your family...that's a difficult balance. Depends I guess on how much genuine benefit you're going to get from the money - if you've got a short term cashflow issue that you can probably overcome in time then don't sacrifice something that's of great sentimental value, but if it's a significant shortfall and you need that money for total necessities then you're talking about something nice on your bookshelf vs real improvement to your situation.

Obviously if it comes down to really improving your families position is important. However, note the title of the post! :D

Archived