Names: My newspaper column -- this week featuring poles, baskets, and manga

Ormond

lacuna, thanks for the link. I've passed it on.

I'd be happy to offer a few suggestions, but first I need to know where your sister-in-law lives, as what's "popular" does vary somewhat geographically.

Same as me, the Canadian prairies. Thanks so much! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a nitpick, but while Ronaldo does indeed go by one name, Pele is a nickname. Does that really count?

I think so, because the point is that the name he has become famous under does NOT include a surname.

I think so, because the point is that the name he has become famous under does NOT include a surname.

True. :) I find the South American custom of football players going by nicknames or abbreviated names (I suppose the likes of 'Roberto Carlos' can't count as a single name, even though it's not his full name) quite interesting, particularly as it seems to be spreading to parts of Africa and Spain/Portugal. Could it come from Portuguese naming conventions? I understand that it's usual to have two and possibly up to four surnames in parts of Brazil - kind of hard to fit on a shirt. :P

• 2 weeks later...

You're most welcome. :)

I know of two Sadies and one Elly; another Elli is a shortened form of Ellianna.

eta: and two Millies; one is definitely short for Amelia, though. Nice column! Did Depression-era parents just go for the plainest names they could think of, to suit the times?

My mom is a Mary... but is always addressed as Mary Beth... first and middle... Have you done an article on the two name usage? Dad was named Billy Joe at birth, but changed it legally to William Joseph as he hated Billy Joe when he turned 18.

I had a column on double names, inspired by their recent use in the UK, last December:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091229/LIVING/712299995

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is this week's column. It may not be of much interest to people outside of the USA (and the Netherlands, where I believe ATWT is also shown.) But my mother and best friend are both fans of this show so I wanted to write about it since it's ending after such a long run:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100907/LIVING/709079979

So yesterday I asked my husband to get us a name-your-baby book (this is NOT an announcement, we're still trying) and stared at the preface for a while thinking "I know this guy, how do I know this guy?" Why, because it's Ormond, of course! I recognized your actual name from reading all your articles (including this one, even though I've never seen the soap). So thanks for all your insights! :love:

Archived