Cricket IX

Jeor

I don't want to be too optimistic about the chances of this NZ v Aus series being competitive, but the probable NZ first XI looks more than capable of challenging the Aussies:

1. BB McCullum†
  2. PJ Ingram
  3. MJ Guptill
  4. LRPL Taylor
  5. JEC Franklin
  6. DL Vettori*
  7. JDP Oram
  8. NL McCullum
  9. TG Southee
  10. SE Bond
  11. DR Tuffey

Yeah, pretty good team. A shame that Jesse Ryder isn't fit too. Franklin hasn't done much as an international batsman apart from a brilliant test century against South Africa, and Southee might be the weak link in the bowling attack, though we do have seven bowlers there. Big game for Nathan McCullum too as the second spinner.

Yeah, pretty good team. A shame that Jesse Ryder isn't fit too. Franklin hasn't done much as an international batsman apart from a brilliant test century against South Africa, and Southee might be the weak link in the bowling attack, though we do have seven bowlers there. Big game for Nathan McCullum too as the second spinner.

I'm sure Franklin wouldn't be in the team if Grant Elliot was fit. He looks a bit out of place at No. 6 in an otherwise fairly strong batting line-up. Though I suppose the alternative would be Neil Broom...

ETA: And just as I question Franklin's place in the team, he goes and top scores in the first T20!

I'm sure Franklin wouldn't be in the team if Grant Elliot was fit. He looks a bit out of place at No. 6 in an otherwise fairly strong batting line-up. Though I suppose the alternative would be Neil Broom...

Or Peter Fulton.

In other news, Moody has quit as the WACA coach. There's a job for you there Pax!

Bah. Kiwis only managed 118. Should be fairly comfortable for the Aussies. None of NZ's big hitters really got going.

@Stubby: I'll have to send Graeme Wood my CV! :P

Do it! Do it!

I applied for the All Black coach job once. Didn't get it.

Tremendous innings from McCullum. Couldn't quite break Gayle's record, but it was still a fantastic knock.

Should be an exciting chase now - Aussies need just over 10 runs an over on a small ground. I'd be surprised if this didn't go down to the wire.

ETA: This photo probably sums up how insane McCullum's innings was.

Finally we have a contest. Nice to see McCullum fire on all cylinders. Supported well by Hopkins and then by his younger brother. Aussie batsman will be chafing at the bit to chase down 214. Should be good, I need alcohol.

That was fabulous stuff. For a Sunday eve's entertainment I couldn't ask for more. Even if we had lost it in the Super Over it still would have been gripping stuff. When I got back from my grog run Australia were closing in on their ton in the tenth over with only one wicket down and looked for all money like they could cruise to victory.

An interesting observation by the commentry team I was listening to at the time was that the Aussie batman, with strike rates well into the hundreds still needed to ramp that up well to over 200 to close out the game. Either that or have the next batsman in do the deed. The dynamics of 20/20, awesome.

Enter Cameraon White, scary. Suppressed only by a couple magnificent overs by Tim Southee at the death. When's that 20/20 World Cup? Can't wait.

Great Twenty20 match. Wow, to think 428 runs scored off 40 overs and the nthe two super overs as well.

I was actually really glad NZ managed to pull this one out - having the confidence of knowing they can beat Australia should make for a great tour for the Aussies. Tell you what though, Australia do look like the team to beat in Twenty20. Warner is possibly the most explosive Twenty20 batsman in the world at the top of the order, then they still have two of the biggest power-hitters in the game with White and Haddin. David Hussey is no slouch either, and the batting is potentially quite deep with Johnson and Steve Smith being quite capable lower-order hitters. It's a powerful lineup. The bowling is not quite as good, Tait gets wickets but can be expensive, and they are lacking a world-class spin option (althoguh Smith is tidy), but it certainly can still be one of the more incisive attacks on its day.

As much as I like him, I'm beginning to think Jacob Oram is a bit overrated. Either that, or he was good but his form has just dropped off a bit in the past few years. Sometimes the commentators talk about him as if he's the Shahid Afridi of the NZ lineup, a guy who will blast bowlers to all parts, but these days he fails to convince with the bat, and his bowling can be carted for a few. I like the guy and he has played some good innings - I still remember his Test century against Australia with three huge sixes - but those types of performances are becoming fewer.

Interesting to note that Bangladeshi batsmen don't seem to be having problems making centuries ATM. So far in 2010, we have seen 2 ODI centuries and 4 test centuries (plus a 96 not out) from Bangladeshi batsmen. That is pretty good going by international standards, considering we are only 2 months into the year.

Unfortunately, these individual performances haven't translated to results. Tonight's game against England is the perfect example. Iqbal plays a masterful ODI innings, but the rest of the team hardly show up. Siddons is going to have to address this problem if he wants to take the Tigers to the next level.

ETA: Jeor, I agree with you about Jacob Oram, except I would put his recent inconsistency down to injury problems and a lack of match practice rather than a lack of overall quality. Personally, I would like to see him concentrate more on his batting, even if it means his bowling goes downhill (not that it is especially good ATM).

Archived