Gardening 2013 (reusing the thread, again)

Lany Freelove Cassandra

I'd be willing to try another orchid, though, before another gardenia. Now THAT'S a tough one to keep alive indoors.

I managed to kill a series of gardenias. I later found out they are often deficient in iron and got some liquid iron. It helped but still they didn't thrive. Everything we have is container grown and micronutrient deficiencies can be serious as a result.

I finally began using a soluble ferrous sulfate (FeSO4) and it did the trick. Ours has gotten quite big and blooms several times a year. I'd bet that you could find such a thing in a good garden shop or alternatively a local elevator (though there it'd likely be sold only in 50 pound bags). Give it a try, you don't have to worry that much about application rates as it's fairly innocuous. Alternatively, a good, complete micronutrient package, generally sold as a liquid or soluble, would help a lot I'm sure. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. :) Gardenias are one of my favorite flowers. Must be wonderful to have them thrive! My gardenias generally died during the winter months due, I think, to dry air and spider mites. Their buds just turn yellow and fall off after they're brought into the house. And we keep our house fairly cool, which many tropical plants don't like. I'm convinced that I need a giant terrarium if I ever want to grow orchids and/or gardenias. :(

On a happier note, I planted some seeds of Bells of Ireland flowers, since I've gotten on a green flower kick lately. (Also "Envy" Zinnia) So far, so good. They've sprouted!

It's been cool and damp lately, so my lettuce and cilantro have been doing well. I got my peas in a bit late, but have high hopes. Planted the ones with the edible pods.

Phals will adapt to most any environment indoors so perhaps a phal is right for you? I just picked up a cute 3" one from Home Depot. I should have inspected it but it was too cute to pass up. It's my desk flower.

Anyway, I repotted yesterday and so far, so good! The medium doesn't hold as much moisture as the last so hopefully there won't be root rot. All the blooms are still holding fast and strong. I'm just going to take it day by day. It's a rainy day here so there's low light, I ran water through the pot today and drained it, but have not given it any food.

Either the dahlia that's sprouted is sending off signals to the other two bulbs in the pot not to grow, or the other two are duds. If they are, I'll just keep 'em for next year and give them their own pots. Basil and oregano have perked up after a watering yesterday (whoops, sorry!). Well, I abuse my basil, it's so hardy! Poor little guys.

I should have picked up some lavender seeds this year what with it being hot and dry but I forgot. Maybe I can go and get some lavender... wait. No. I need to stop.

Quick question: I potted some petunias the other day and learned that it will probably snow later this week. I know pansies are very hardy, but how about petunias? Should I bring them inside or would they probably be fine for a spring non-sticking snow?

I should have picked up some lavender seeds this year what with it being hot and dry but I forgot. Maybe I can go and get some lavender... wait. No. I need to stop.

I love lavender. Wish I'd have grown it when I lived in California. I've got some plants in the yard, but they're not quite bit enough to gather tons of flowers and make wreathes out of them - which is what I want to do. :P

Quick question: I potted some petunias the other day and learned that it will probably snow later this week. I know pansies are very hardy, but how about petunias? Should I bring them inside or would they probably be fine for a spring non-sticking snow?

Hmm. Petunias don't take kindly to the cold, but you may get away with it if it's brief. I'd probably cover them at night in case of frost. "They" say not to plant petunias until June, when all fear of cold weather is past. I've planted them earlier than that, especially the "Proven Winners" types of petunias you see everywhere, and they've done ok. I know that Impatiens will not tolerate it, though.

Hmm. Petunias don't take kindly to the cold, but you may get away with it if it's brief. I'd probably cover them at night in case of frost. "They" say not to plant petunias until June, when all fear of cold weather is past. I've planted them earlier than that, especially the "Proven Winners" types of petunias you see everywhere, and they've done ok. I know that Impatiens will not tolerate it, though.

Thanks, to be careful I'll bring them in.

Day 2 post-repotting and my orchid seems to be doing well. Nothing is wilting or drooping so tomorrow I will let it have its usual light and give it a little bit of food. There is some new growth that was started prior to repotting, so hopefully it'll continue after I feed the orchid!

• 4 weeks later...

Harvest time! What? I know it is only May. My oregano, thyme, mint, chives, bee balm and lemon balm from preious years (I think this is their 3rd or 4th) are all HUGE.

I have started my first experience with the dehydrator I got for Mother's day tonight and I am drying oregano. Looks like about 1.5 hours and it is dry. I am pretty excited. I will harvest a bunch of the other herbs tomorrow to dry over the weekend (it will rain all weekend here).

Also of note, the oregano is attempting to escape the confines of the garden. I found two plants growing not far past the brick boundry. Unfortunately, they will have to be dug up and added to the compost. (not sure if they were around last year when husband treated the yard)

The mint is finally proving true to it's nature and popping up everywhere in the garden. It is in year 3 (others must be in yr4 then). First year the local cats destroyed it. Last year I had a light harvest before the cats found it. This year I should have enough for my tea blends.

I've had veggies started indoors for a few weeks now...mostly cucumbers and corn, along with a few cantalope plants I picked up on a whim. Cucumbers are doing all right, corn would be doing alright except the cats have decided the leaves make great snacks. Looks like I'll be able to salvage 12 or 15 corn plants and about double that number of cucumbers.

Picked up a 12 x 12 greenhouse kit for $200 from AIH last weekend, been assembling it between other projects. Not the sturdiest thing, and not really where I'd want a greenhouse long term...but it'll do for now. Be moving the cucumbers and corn out there tomorrow or the next day. The cantalope gets to stay indoors.

Been turning over the soil in the garden plot proper, try and get some carrots and brocholi going out there before the weekend is up.

Gotta get all this stuff planted or transplanted now if I hope to harvest before next winter hits. Though with my luck it'll likely be a repeat of last year and the moose will eat dang near everything...

I decided to grow some stuff this year for the first time, mainly due to moving apartments and having some outdoor space for a change.

So far I am restricting it to herbs. Rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil (2 sorts) and marjoram so far, and will go looking for some oregano, chives, coriander and sage this weekend. Also got a nice planter full of little lavendar plants, which I hope will grow large enough to start scenting the air over the summer.

Now we just got to get some rain. We are well below average so far this year, tanks are getting low, and so I need to conserve as much as possible. Even the two cansful I am giving the plants each day.

I decided to grow some stuff this year for the first time, mainly due to moving apartments and having some outdoor space for a change.

So far I am restricting it to herbs. Rosemary, thyme, parsley, basil (2 sorts) and marjoram so far, and will go looking for some oregano, chives, coriander and sage this weekend. Also got a nice planter full of little lavendar plants, which I hope will grow large enough to start scenting the air over the summer.

Now we just got to get some rain. We are well below average so far this year, tanks are getting low, and so I need to conserve as much as possible. Even the two cansful I am giving the plants each day.

Do you have a dehumidifier for your place? One of the things I do when water is short is use the water from the dehumidifier to water my plants.

Just wanted to comment on how wonderful Thai basil is! It's so much more intense than regular sweet basil. This was my first experience with it this year and I'm so very happy with it. The weather hasn't been sunny and warm consistently enough for my herbs to really take off yet, so I'll have to pick up another pot of it.

My summer savory looks like it's going to make it. I've murdered this poor plant more times than I can count in previous years. It's also very flavorful and is a great addition to fish and other proteins. It's difficult if not impossible to find fresh in stores too.

I'm also growing, among other varieties, Brandywine tomatoes. This is an old heirloom tomato. I'm quite interested in seeing how it stacks up to others.

@ThinkerX - Having to fight off the deer for my vegetables is bad enough. I can just imagine the appetite on a moose!

@ThinkerX - Having to fight off the deer for my vegetables is bad enough. I can just imagine the appetite on a moose!

We've added plants that "deer tend to avoid" to the perimeter of the yard on the side the deer generally come from. This has worked so far. (I found them listed here)

If only there was something rabbits, squirrels and chipmucks avoided. ;)

Hmmm....

I am deducing that you are suggesting that we can grow shit without back yards. Is that what you're saying?

I have a container garden going on my balcony, including a ton of herbs, arugula, spinach, kale, tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries, and different kinds of mint.

I also did a thing of roses but those don't seem to be thriving. :crying:

We've added plants that "deer tend to avoid" to the perimeter of the yard on the side the deer generally come from. This has worked so far.

Don't know about deer...but moose tend to regard out and out tree branches (little ones anyhow) as tasty snacks, which should tell you something about what they'll eat.. About the only garden type plant they won't eat is potatos...though they did leave most of my carrots alone last year. Most folk with gardens around here end up having to put fishnet fences around their gardens to keep the moose out....

Hmmm....

I am deducing that you are suggesting that we can grow shit without back yards. Is that what you're saying?

As posted earlier in this thread, dalThor grows a shitload of things in containers. We have more than 50 pots in our balcony right now, with various flowers and veggies. He's had great success with tomatoes and all kinds of peppers, including jalapenos, and several herbs. He tried lettuce for the first time this year and it seems as if we're going to have more lettuce than we care for. As for flowers, it's amazing out there, most all of them are in full bloom and the colors and the smell are amazing.

Our gardenia plants especially seem to be exploding with flowers. I always have fresh ones to put in a little bowl of water on my nightstand. :)

I am so jealous of those who can garden.

The ability to grow my own vegetables is my top motivation for home-ownership.

You can do a lot on a balcony. Even with a normal sized one you can get tomatoes or other veggies, some herbs and a few flowers if you'd like.

By virtue of the fact that we're blessed with an incredibly substantial balcony we do actually have around 50 pots of stuff out there. Watering took so long that I installed a drip irrigation system. Here's a sampling of what we've got out there.

You can do a lot on a balcony. Even with a normal sized one you can get tomatoes or other veggies, some herbs and a few flowers if you'd like.

By virtue of the fact that we're blessed with an incredibly substantial balcony we do actually have around 50 pots of stuff out there. Watering took so long that I installed a drip irrigation system. Here's a sampling of what we've got out there.

Wait. You're growing kittehs! :lol: too cute!

I'm dying of envy of Mashiara's nightstand with gardenias. :(

Wait. You're growing kittehs! :lol: too cute!

Well, that's my fault. A month ago I went through a spell of temporary insanity and apparently decided 2 cats weren't enough, so I brought home this 4week-old guy who I kept seeing on my way to work. He was crying so pitifully and he was clearly abandoned in the street so I took pity on him. A month later he's King of the Hill and Lord of the Manor here and our older cats just don't know what to do with him.

I'm dying of envy of Mashiara's nightstand with gardenias. sad.gif

I'm sorry? I wish I could share. You need to move somewhere warmer.

Archived