I'm going to make a Brienne prediction

Ser_not_appearing_yet

Where is it said that Jaime fancies her? She fancies him, but I've never read a single case where he fantasizes about her.

He has a dream about her, then goes back to Harrenhal to rescue her. When she asks why he came back he tells her the truth- "I dreamed of you"... There is a connetion, I dont think romantic in the physical sense, but Brienne represents Jaimes' redemption to become the knight that Brienne belives in. I think he'll become worthy for Brienne as an ideal, and then he'll die a glorious/romantic/knightly death... Jaime and Brienne will break our hearts.

Brienne should be extremely easy to cast as she is described in the book. She's a large, ugly, brooding woman who acts like a knight. Honestly, there's not much acting ability involved in her role and even while reading her she comes across as a bad actress. The actress just has to be straight-faced for a while, act hurt or offended often, be straight-faced some more, act hurt or heart-broken or offended or angry, then brood while straight-faced some more.

I disagree - I think she will have to be an excellent actress. Brienne's demeanor and actions are her protective shell. I want to see beyond that to the hurt and scarred girl she is. I think her coming off as a bad actress is because she is actively trying to play a part. Specifically, I think she realizes most people won't accept her for what she is (a woman who just happens to want to be a knight) so she overcompensates to be the 'perfect' knight. Part of that perfection is not allowing herself to indulge in any feminine thoughts or behaviors no matter how small. I want to see that struggle and pain in her.

I'm frankly referring to the stiffie he gets when looking at her naked in the bath as evidence that he is physically attracted to her!

He is rather disturbed by this response, as he is a straight man responding to the masculinity in her rather than the femininity.

She also remains in his mind romantically as well - he often thinks of her.

GRRM loves "Beauty and the Beast" tales (he wrote a TV show entitled Beauty and the Beast, and the Sansa/Hound romance is very much in the same theme) - the interaction between Jaime and Brienne is an interesting gender-swapped version of this.

I agree with Gertrude, I think Brienne will need to be an amazing actress, she carries an enormous weight in the plot line. Jaime's character is TRANSFORMED while with her and largely because of her. He literally loses the hand that held on to Cersei's foot when they were born -while with Brienne. If she's just a brooding dolt, it would make no sense for him to pay her any mind at all. She's the yin to Cersei's yang, where one is beautiful the other ugly, one is disloyal and power hungry the other is noble and willing to die for what she believes in. Brienne needs to evoke alot from the audience and Jaime. (NKW is near 40, if the actress cast as Brienne is too young, it will be weird. I got a bit of crush/tension from the Jaime/Brienne scenes, but maybe that's just me being hopeful.)

I think that part of what's so compelling about Brienne is that she is basically broken by the way life has treated her. Broken by the suitors chosen by her father, and ultimately broken by the death of Renly. She loves Renly, but accepts a lessor role to be in his presence and to gain his appreciation in the only way possible. Then she cannot fulfill that role in Melisandre's evil. Both Catelyn and the Jaime redeem her a bit and make her more whole. So, it's a symbiotic relationship with Jaime. Gotta go.

Remember to Westeros men, an attractive, even normal woman is slender, soft, pale and luscious. If we put Brooke Shields in Westeros they would consider her unattractive, along with many others, especially female athletes, a woman with good muscle tone in Westeros would be laughed at. We keep on thinking of Brienne by our standards not theirs. All that needs to be done is deglamour the actress, throw freckles and a little overbite, and give her some muscle, and of course the coarset, a woman with small breasts is also scorned somewhat.

I agree with this. Makeup can make anyone look plain and/or ugly (I assume that is how they are doing the Hound and the Imp) so all she really needs is to be tall and not very curvaceous.

I'm frankly referring to the stiffie he gets when looking at her naked in the bath as evidence that he is physically attracted to her!

His opinions of her body are extremely negative and he always focuses on how ugly she is. I don't think he's physically attracted to her at all (he'd been locked in the Riverrun dungeons for over a year without a woman), I think it was a base physical response to seeing a naked woman. I do think he admires her quite a bit in spite of himself and I rather hope for a romance there but I really don't believe he finds her physically attractive.

I just realized that if Jennifer Carpenter can be uglified and buffed up as well as gain an accent, she has the exact acting chops required for Brienne.

Yeah but she's soooooo skinny, she'd need to pack on some pounds as well as muscle.

He has a dream about her, then goes back to Harrenhal to rescue her. When she asks why he came back he tells her the truth- "I dreamed of you"... There is a connetion, I dont think romantic in the physical sense, but Brienne represents Jaimes' redemption to become the knight that Brienne belives in. I think he'll become worthy for Brienne as an ideal, and then he'll die a glorious/romantic/knightly death... Jaime and Brienne will break our hearts.

I feel teary just thinking about that scenario :( Please George, don't!

Jaime's mind may not be attracted to Brienne, but his body was :lol: He cares about her and I think he views her as an equal. Maybe they won't have a romantic relationship, but they are both better people for knowing each other.

Oh btw, the suggestion for the tall actress Gwendoline is a decent one. She is older than Brienne's character, but they will probably age up anyway.

• 1 month later...

I think... (I can't believe I'm actually saying this...) I have a suggestion for Brienne. :stunned:

Alice Evans. Played the younger Eloise Hawking on Lost. Pics here (scroll to the 1977 version). Despite looking like a British Faith Hill off screen, she uglies up nicely and is relatively tall (at least compared to her husband :P)

I think... (I can't believe I'm actually saying this...) I have a suggestion for Brienne. :stunned:

Alice Evans. Played the younger Eloise Hawking on Lost. Pics here (scroll to the 1977 version). Despite looking like a british Faith Hill offscreen, she uglies up nicely and is realtively tall (at least compared to her husband :P)

Hhhmm, although she's older than I imagine Brienne to be, she does have a good look. I think she's shorter than her husband, wearing high heels makes her look taller... Hey, if they could get her maybe HBO could get her husband Ioan Gruffudd to play Littlefinger :D!

Hhhmm, although she's older than I imagine Brienne to be, she does have a good look. I think she's shorter than her husband, wearing high heels makes her look taller... Hey, if they could get her maybe HBO could get her husband Ioan Gruffudd to play Littlefinger :D!

That's not a bad suggestion either, though I'm finding it hard to imagine how they would make her "ugly." I'd be on board with Ioan Gruffudd as LF though, or anyone really!

That's not a bad suggestion either, though I'm finding it hard to imagine how they would make her "ugly." I'd be on board with Ioan Gruffudd as LF though, or anyone really!

If Charlize Theron could be made to look ugly, anyone could. :-)

I agree with the OP. I'd be amazed if they cast a genuinely ugly or mannish woman as Brienne (alas!). Most of the cast is extraordinarily attractive - we've even got a cute Tyrion. I think casting directors so rarely work with less-than-beautiful people that their perspective is a little off.

Mariah Gale: Talented actress from England. I think she has a good look for Brienne. Wrong eye color, but as mentioned, there is something called conetact lenses.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2766030/

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01602/Mariah_Gale_1602990a.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/annefrank/images/actors/mariah_gale.jpg

http://broadwayworld.com/columnpic/prev221.jpg

This might be a controversial one -- Leelee Sobieski

Now, admittedly, I think she's hot as hell, but she has very strong, masculine features and therefore it'd be a cinch to "uglify" her. She's at about the right level of success where an HBO show probably wouldn't be beneath her (a lot like Anna Paquin, actually). She's got reasonable acting chops, a somewhat haunted/dour look, a thick-ish build, and is 5'10". Her huge rack is the only sticking point, but clothes/armour can take care of that.

Leelee Sobieski isn't that bad...

But Brienne is a minor character who becomes important much later in the story. Anna Paquin is the lead actress in a show created by a man whose last show was also really successful. They won't get Leelee Sobieski to play Brienne, unless she's a fan of the books.

Alice Evans. Played the younger Eloise Hawking on Lost. Pics here (scroll to the 1977 version). Despite looking like a British Faith Hill off screen, she uglies up nicely and is relatively tall (at least compared to her husband :P)

Unless there are racy sex scenes, AEG can't act her way out of a paper bag.

She's actually pretty much as tall as Gruffudd. I've seen them in a shot at their front door with their daughter, both barefoot.

Evans' accent is problematic though. I thought so when she was on Lost thinking she was mimicking the older Hawkins, and it turns out it was her natural accent.

Oh here you go.

in an interview with her husband.

Oh, Evans on her flip side, someone edited out the "Piers is with trannies" remark. Evans is truly ugly where Brienne is not!

I'll have to mention your suggestion on IMDB Wight and see if she comes out of the woodwork :cool4:

Archived