I'm going to make a Brienne prediction

Ser_not_appearing_yet

No, its not a casting choice. I honestly have no idea who they might pick.

But I will say this. Brienne on HBO will get the hollywood treatment. By that I mean she won't be ugly in the HBO version, and her character will most likely be changed. Its likely she'll actually be quite attractive.

Its not what I want, but I'm being realistic. This is tv, some things will undoubtedly be changed so as to suit that, and this is one of them. American tv is all about teh pretteh, and this won't be an exception. This is a genuine prediction, and I'll be shocked if proven wrong.

i don't know if i agree. did you watch deadwood at all? they certainly didn't make calamity jane a beauty. and yeah, i could see them doing something like taking a character that's supposed to be attractive and making her very hot, or something, but brienne's unattractive looks are so essential to who she is and her and jaime. i don't think that it would make a whole lot of sense to have jaime riding around calling some hot chic "wench" and making cracks about her ugliness when she's obviously a babe. i don't think anyone would buy it.

you do have a point about american tv, and tv in general, i hear you, but we have to remember this is not tv it's HBO :)

www.educatedpony.wordpress.com

I have no idea what Brienne will look like. But Deadwood is an excellent example. Carnivale would be another, excellent example.

HBO does not feel the need to load up every role they have in a project with beautiful people. It's strange to have that example and then use "this is TV" as an excuse for your reasoning about it.

This doesn't mean that Brienne will be particularly unattractive. But to predict ahead of time that she'll probably be the opposite because "this is TV" shows a lack of awareness of HBO's work. :)

I don't think she'll be especially attractive for reasons others have stated, but i rather doubt that she'll be really ugly and have the body of a big burly man as she's supposed to.

No matter. As long as she's not "hot" and is rather unusually muscled for a woman, i'd say it'll work. As a female knight she'll be beliavable as somewhat of an outcast anyway.

During medieval times women were considered "unattractive" if they were tomboyish, or had "unladylike" interests.(Joan of Arc?) So, I figure casting a tall, big-boned young lady whether she is "hot" or not will be the route HBO might take.

10 years ago Lucy Lawless would have been perfect. :)

Which is why Katee Sackoff is perfect for that role, she's not what I would call "attractive" but there were times (when she was playing Starbuck) when I thought "Hmmm..she could get it"

If you don't think Katee Sackhoff is attractive, where are you living? The planet of the scorchingly hot chicks?

Or are you confusing her drab military uniform in Battlestar Galactica with her actual looks?

Also, she is 5 foot 6.

You guys slightly misunderstand, its not simply because of it being 'tv', but also because Brienne from her book description will prove a hell of a pain to cast, so I think they will just cut corners with her and either revamp her character or cut her from the series. At least, that's my prediction.

As long as they don't go the "Ugly Betty" route. :lol: I wonder if they have glasses and braces in Westeros...

But, no I don't see them making her pretty. She may not be as homely as she is in the books, but not pretty either.

You guys slightly misunderstand, its not simply because of it being 'tv', but also because Brienne from her book description will prove a hell of a pain to cast, so I think they will just cut corners with her and either revamp her character or cut her from the series.

Given her importance in aSoS, I can't see how they could cut the part. Characters will be dropped but she is required.

As other people have said, she may not be as described exactly in the book but that leaves a lot of room before one gets to describing her as "attractive". :)

As long as they don't go the "Ugly Betty" route. :lol: I wonder if they have glasses and braces in Westeros...

I suspect that's exactly what they'll do. Substitute a hot actress who can act tomboyish and dress her down.

Think Sigourney Weaver in Alien.

Hopefully I'm wrong. I'll just be amazed if she fits the image in my mind, so I'm deliberately being pessimistic about it.

It would be extremely difficult to find a woman that fits Brienne's description completely. However, I don't think HBO will cast someone attractive in the role. Finding a tall woman who is plain will suffice, they can always make her "ugly" with makeup. Seeing how GRRM is involved with the project, I don't think he would let them change her character. It's extremely important that she be more like a man than a woman.

Methinks we'll see an unknown in the part of Brienne. Many of you made good points about uglification. Brienne must be 2 things, big and plain.

Talking about picking legendary actors, Lynn Redgrave might have been a choice. She's 5'10", and while she could look very glamorous, she could also do very plain.

I think it important that Brienne can act. She's so pivotal in the humanization of Jaime.

One thing to keep in mind: plain or whatever, Brienne is repeatedly said to have strikingly beautiful blue eyes. I know a couple actresses who do, but are on other shows at the moment. So, if the book description is taken seriously, a plain, big-boned, tall actress with pretty blue eyes will fit!

Have I mentioned I have blue eyes? (Just kidding) I believe in "hollywood"'s ability to make an actress look the part. (If Charlize Theron can look bad for Monster...) They will need some basics to work with which are considerable height (they can fudge a little, but for combat scenes they have to have full-body shots) I'd say at least 5'9". Weight/frame is another issue, no stick thin girl could wield a broadsword believably. Lastly, acting... Brienne will need to emote ALOT, mainly because her actions speak louder than her words and she's integral to Jamie's development.

No way in hell is the role cut; she becomes a POV and a major plot in A Feast for Crows. I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous to even think of such a thing.

Brienne should be extremely easy to cast as she is described in the book. She's a large, ugly, brooding woman who acts like a knight. Honestly, there's not much acting ability involved in her role and even while reading her she comes across as a bad actress. The actress just has to be straight-faced for a while, act hurt or offended often, be straight-faced some more, act hurt or heart-broken or offended or angry, then brood while straight-faced some more.

I predict a WNBA star with limited acting ability would be the easiest route to take due to the size. As stated above, the actress cast may actually be "plain" looking rather than ugly, but they do not need to make her attractive and shouldn't. It's part of her whole character.

That would be like Jaime's arm getting broken rather than his hand getting cut off. Or Tyrion merely being short rather than a dwarf. Or The Hound merely having a small scar on his face rather than being horribly burned. They are not going to change an entire character because they want to cast someone pretty.

Archived