Robert Stanek shat directly into my soul.

Gilead

Not entirely free, of course, since it's supported by commercial advertising, which places a monetary value on your eyeballs.

That's a good point, but I've never been sent a bill to pay for any episode of Jersey Shore. When you buy a copy of a book from Ruin Mist, you actually have to pay specifically for that book; there's no commercial advertising backroom shell game going on, and the money comes out of my wallet. At least it would if I were as big a fan of these books as the guys on that web forum.

EDIT: I wonder if we could find someone who was a legitimate fan of Robert Stanek's books who isn't Robert Stanek; we could send that person over to his forum and see if it's possible to distinguish between praise from a legitimate fan and praise from a sockpuppet.

EDIT: I wonder if we could find someone who was a legitimate fan of Robert Stanek's books who isn't Robert Stanek; we could send that person over to his forum and see if it's possible to distinguish between praise from a legitimate fan and praise from a sockpuppet.

I doubt it. Getting an account on the forum requires a staffs approval and I've been on hold for two or so weeks waiting. I'm not expecting to get approval.

I think Stanek is the only one with access to that forum.

Also, we probably shouldn't discuss such a thing any further, the mods have warned twice and I'd like to avoid ruining the thread. This is a danger zone for the topic.

Wait, so he doesn't even allow people who might be fans to even register an account? Yikes, no wonder he needs all of those sockpuppets. I can understand his concerns about trolling; even the author of the Ruin Mist series doesn't quite deserve that, but he won't even accept compliments / praise that weren't manufactured by him personally?

Or maybe he hasn't visited that website in months. I checked the website; as far as I can tell, the most recent posts were in January. A flurry of posts (well, 3) by some guy named "warrior25" less than minutes apart, ranging from the intellectual:

SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn SOON soon sOoN SoOn

To the ruminative:

As someone who reads a lot of fantasy and ya it's easy to tell where ideas for certain things come from. Stephen King and Rowling both borrow loads but they make the things they borrows their own. Someone like Whedon probably does to. My writing professor keeps telling me their are no new ideas or new stories, only new ways of telling old ideas and stories. She's probably right but I still hate her.

There was a post in February about a Ruin Mist movie. Yeah.

Edit: Hold on, a guy named dragonboy was approved a couple of days ago. A sockpuppet, or a genuine fan of the Stanek series? It's hard to tell; the forum is relatively lifeless compared to this one, but that's no reason to assume sockpuppetry. The fact that conversations pick up weeks, months, or even years after the last post and continue right along as if there had been no gap is a shade eerie, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Edit: Hold on, a guy named dragonboy was approved a couple of days ago. A sockpuppet, or a genuine fan of the Stanek series? It's hard to tell; the forum is relatively lifeless compared to this one, but that's no reason to assume sockpuppetry. The fact that conversations pick up weeks, months, or even years after the last post and continue right along as if there had been no gap is a shade eerie, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Despite what it might say, Dragonboy still gets the "Account Waiting For Approval" sign every login attempt. ;)

I have a bunch of actual sockpuppets, but when I'm not using them they revert to being regular socks.

I need to start changing my sockpuppets into socks. A friend of mine's boyfriend colored my toenails pink a week ago and they haven't even started to fade.

I don't think I'll even bother trolling Stanek, though I hope we get a Stanek fan here. It'll be really funny if it's a fan who isn't Stanek, and we'll all confuse the fan for Stanek.

Definetly. Stanek creates magic inside and outside his amazing books.

:leaving:

I highly recommend the Bugville Critters samples on audible.com (some are quite long). Some small part of me feels bad at laughing at children's books, but on the other hand the voices, and the godawful writing, are just too funny to stop.

I need to start changing my sockpuppets into socks. A friend of mine's boyfriend colored my toenails pink a week ago and they haven't even started to fade.

I don't think I'll even bother trolling Stanek, though I hope we get a Stanek fan here. It'll be really funny if it's a fan who isn't Stanek, and we'll all confuse the fan for Stanek.

The only genuine fans of these books are William Stanek and Robert Stanek.

And it would be funny as hell if he tried to attack this board with sockpuppet accounts.

What? Is this an interview or some other conversation?

Do you need to get out the lawyer hat?

No, just a conversation on FB. But it's not really going anywhere. It's like listening to a broken record...

Speaking of lawyers, I did ask him about those Hotmail lawyers of his. Didn't get any response, though... ;)

Patrick

See, this is almost fascinating.

Not for the content, which is standard paranoid "The man is keeping me down" bullshit, but for the fact that it's really obvious it's all sockpuppets.

They all speak the same in that thread. The statements are phrased the same, the content is all the same and delivered in the same style.

It's .... it's kinda creepy honestly.

Holy crap. That message board is awesome. Check out the "Chat it up" section (GC). It's pretty much exclusively the members telling each other happy birthday and merry christmas. Except one thread, in which Stanek's sockpuppets lambast some other self published author for sock puppetting amazon.

Ahhh...that's so priceless.

On the "chat it up" section, I laughed so hard when I got a mental image of Robert Stanek logging on and off his 1000 sockpuppet accounts, telling himself merry christmas, and clapping himself on the back.

The hilarious thing is that the topic has been up for over two years and Stanek has never replied.

Wow. I love that they have so little to say to each other that isn't about Stanek that they resort to lots of "Merry Christmas!" posts. Stanek really should have brought some other people on board here so they could debate politics or give dating advice or something. You'd think he might have a friend or relative willing to do that, even if no one close to him will touch the books.... or.... yeah, maybe not.

A couple other random observations:

Stanek's name is just all over that board. It's the "Robert Stanek Message Board" and.... just kinda goes downhill from there. Do any other fan sites do this, emphasizing the author over the books? Especially when the author only has one series? (Maybe the problem is that Stanek is pretending to have more than one series.... but then even he admits that they're "related.")

Also, the number of posts per page is set quite low, only 12 where this board has 20. A transparent ploy for Stanek to make the threads look longer than they actually are.

You heard it here first, folks. Robert Stanek is the Jersey Shore of fantasy novelists!

You take that back! Give me enough alcohol and I might actually want to see Snookie naked, or maybe J-Wow, I don't know...there's no amount of alcohol on Earth that might make me want to read a page of Stanek's work! Never!

Archived