Robert Stanek shat directly into my soul.

Gilead

I've gotta say... Mr. Robert Stanek, I salute you. You have provided, and will hopefully continue to provide, far more original (albeit unintentional) entertainment for me than any of the other below average, hack, run-of-the-mill, sub-mediocre fantasy writers whose drivel lines the book shelves could ever hope to.

I haven't read the Malazan books yet (are they good?), and I looked the series up on Amazon. There's a whole barrage of 1-star reviews on the last one. I thought the writing style of those reviews was strangely familiar...

One of them says: "Steven Erikson can come up with a good story, but his writing style is terrible. If you want real fantasy, read JRR Tolkien, George RR Martin, and Robert Stanek".

And then I knew.

One of them says: "Steven Erikson can come up with a good story, but his writing style is terrible. If you want real fantasy, read JRR Tolkien, George RR Martin, and Robert Stanek".

And then I knew.

hahahaha

I haven't read the Malazan books yet (are they good?), and I looked the series up on Amazon. There's a whole barrage of 1-star reviews on the last one. I thought the writing style of those reviews was strangely familiar...

And then I knew.

Any links? I can't seem to find any such comments for Dust of Dreams on Amazon.com.

I do think that if people want to buy the material for a laugh, knowing what they're getting into, well then, that's all right. Trash culture is still culture.

You heard it here first, folks. Robert Stanek is the Jersey Shore of fantasy novelists!

I do think that if people want to buy the material for a laugh, knowing what they're getting into, well then, that's all right. Trash culture is still culture. ;)

As been previously stated by those who checked out his work …

Feral clouds notwithstanding, there aren’t much laughs (unintentionally or otherwise) in Stanek’s fiction. It is dull beyond belief. I wouldn’t buy his books if you are looking for cheap chuckles.

Much more entertaining is all his other writing which can be freely found on the internet: his over-the-top sock puppet Amazon reviews and guides, his fake message board and amusing blog-full-of-lies.

What is even funnier is that Robert Stanek still thinks he can trick people into buying his books and harass/threaten/censor his critics and other authors without anyone noticing. There is a reason why the only real award that Stanek has actually won was the 2009 Dumbass of the Year award on Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist.

You heard it here first, folks. Robert Stanek is the Jersey Shore of fantasy novelists!

Nonsense.

Jersey Shore episodes are maybe 40 minutes long and they're free. Robert Stanek mistakenly believes that he can charge $28.95 for one of his books on Amazon.com. Mr. "The Situation" never had such chutzpah.

Eloisa,

That number is an entry in the database. Easy to change in any number of ways, from a straightforward edit in MySQL to the use of add-ons or plugins that allow you to change all sorts of numbers to inflate your traffic statistics.

Mad Monkey,

Not entirely free, of course, since it's supported by commercial advertising, which places a monetary value on your eyeballs.

It's still pretty bizarre, just the thought of Stanek sitting and furiously debating against himself online, competing with himself on which of his sockpuppets can praise him the most. Even if he inflates the number of posts, there's still thousands upon thousands of posts there, all written by him. I'm convinced he is insane.

Just look at the "Best Fantasy Author" Poll on his website. All his sockpuppets get to vote. On the polls, Stanek has 51% of the votes and narrowly edges out Tolkien.

I'm still laughing.

I'm trying to have a semi-intelligent conversation with Stanek, but it's kind of difficult to pull off. The man suffers from massive delusions of grandeur, and feels that his "accomplishments" speak for themselves... :shocked:

Patrick

I'm trying to have a semi-intelligent conversation with Stanek, but it's kind of difficult to pull off. The man suffers from massive delusions of grandeur, and feels that his "accomplishments" speak for themselves... :shocked:

What? Is this an interview or some other conversation?

Do you need to get out the lawyer hat?

It's still pretty bizarre, just the thought of Stanek sitting and sedately debating against himself online, competing with himself on which of his sockpuppets can praise him the most. Even if he inflates the number of posts, there's still thousands upon thousands of posts there, all written by him. I'm convinced he is insane.

Fixed.

Stanek's sockpuppets reserve all their fury for people who don't like Stanek. It's incredibly jarring to see them never disagreeing with one another, but wishing death on anyone who thinks he's a less than wonderful author.

If I created a bunch of sockpuppets, they would have flame wars. :leaving:

EDIT: Is "debating" even the right word? It implies some difference of opinion....

Mr. Stanek is certainly alone against myriad of vile enemies - the big publishers, the rival smal press publishers and the vanity press authors. They are all jealous of Mr. Stanek success, despite that this success if good for all of them.

But I believe that Mr. Stanek's talent and devotion will prevail.

QFT

Archived