Song of Ice and Fire Comic?

Ran

Almost a year later, and it looks like we've got an ASoIaF comic at last, with Daniel Abraham adapting the script and Tommy Patterson handling penciling. I've added some comments from the both of them to an additional post that I haven't quite finished up.

I am not very familiar with Patterson, but he feels his best work to date is for Zenoscope's Tales from Wonderland series, specifically "The White Knight" and "Red Rose" issues.

Tommy does good work. Although based on his concept pieces of Tyrion and Jon, I wonder if he researches references. Both of their boots look oddly off medieval. And Tyrion a bit Asian looking in the closeup. And its always seems very few comic artists can get wolves right, if it was lions easy but wolves not so much. As Excited I am that its coming our way this year, I'm a little worried as to the visual style this series will get. I'm staying reserved till I see the first issue out this year.

I was saddened when I read that Mike S Miller wouldn't be returning to helm more of the Westerosi world as of now.

GRRM has noted that when "The Mystery Knight" is adapted to comic form, his preference will be Miller and Avery as the creative team, and he notes that his preferences tend to matter in such things.

GRRM has noted that when "The Mystery Knight" is adapted to comic form, his preference will be Miller and Avery as the creative team, and he notes that his preferences tend to matter in such things.

That is good news. I'm anxious to see more of Dunk and Egg by Miller, as they head on the road north to Winterfell and the Wall.

I like how Jon doesn't appear to have curly hair in the comic.

Yea it's nice that they're not just going to draw the actors from the show. This will be closer to the descriptions from the books, so that's cool. (Not complaining about any actor's appearance, afterall it's better to go with talent than looks. In the comic, however, the artist has complete control over appearance.)

Really looking forward to this.

Good! Can't wait! I LOVE Miller's art in the first 2 Dunk and Egg comics.

I would not mind seeing Miller on an ASOIAF adaptation team either! He really made me fall in love with the D&E characters.

I guess it will have to be a team effort anyway, so I'd like to point out frvn-art from DeviantArt. To my untrained eye he/she looks pretty good as a comics artist.

Meh. Abraham's adaptation of Fevre Dream was quite underwhelming - badly paced, and no awareness of the possibilities of comics as a medium. It really doesn't have to be just illustrations of a text. And Patterson's art looks technically accomplished, but rather bland - which really doesn't fit the grittiness of the books, I think. The women, in particular, all seem to have the same snub-nosed mega-breasted look - guess the only way to tell Cersei and Catelyn apart will be by haircolour.

Oh well, it'll still feed the habit.

In all honesty, it seems redundant. If you have a novel, an audio book, a TV series and a computer game (well, eventually) of a book, do you really need a graphic novel as well?

That said, I do know people only read comics and nothing else, so if it gets them into the story then I suppose why not? I can't imagine there's a lot of people out there like that. I'd much rather GRRM have given Daniel maybe some outlines and let him write an original story (the Dance of Dragons or the Blackfyre Rebellion maybe?) based on that (JMS-on-B5 style). If it's going to take 24 issues to do AGoT (as Daniel says on his blog), then the entire series is going to take decades, far longer than even the TV series, with even less likelihood of completion.

In all honesty, it seems redundant. If you have a novel, an audio book, a TV series and a computer game (well, eventually) of a book, do you really need a graphic novel as well?

That said, I do know people only read comics and nothing else, so if it gets them into the story then I suppose why not? I can't imagine there's a lot of people out there like that. I'd much rather GRRM have given Daniel maybe some outlines and let him write an original story (the Dance of Dragons or the Blackfyre Rebellion maybe?) based on that (JMS-on-B5 style). If it's going to take 24 issues to do AGoT (as Daniel says on his blog), then the entire series is going to take decades, far longer than even the TV series, with even less likelihood of completion.

If I remember right someone had asked him a question regarding using his book series to make money through other products and his thoughts at the Days of Ice and fire. If I remember right he said something to the point of "Am I not allowed to make a living" and he went on that his series is so popular he thinks fans are happy there are many ways to enjoy the series, from games to busts of characters etc.

I'm not sure about taking decades. As one issue of a comic doesn't take a full year to make but a few months. I'm just not sold on the current artist chosen. I mean Mike S Miller set the bar pretty high for his very well done medieval fantasy style and Ben Avery's scripting. I do know that the artist and scripting can make or break a series if its a hit.

24 issues - 2 years - to do AGoT by itself, and AGoT is the shortest book in the series. ASoS and ADWD will probably need 36 issues each. Even if this wasn't the case and it was the same for every book, that's 10 years to catch up to the end of ADWD, 14 years for the full series (assuming no future expansion). I don't see that as being realistic.

The other issue is that a comic/graphic novel adaptation will inherently be less less popular than the book (which has already sold 2 million copies and likely to shoot up in the coming months), the computer game (which even if it's a failure will likely sell in the low hundreds of thousands) and the TV series (which will probably have millions of viewers worldwide). So again, it feels unnecessary, unless you're the sort of person who loves only comics and absolutely no other medium of storytelling at all.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice idea and a few years ago would have made more sense, but it doesn't really excite me. If it was original or new stories (perhaps outlined by GRRM and scripted by Abraham) set in Westeros's backhistory, I'd find that far more interesting.

Quite a few publishers seem to think the market's there for these adaptations, as I think something like half a dozen were circling the property.

I don't think it really needs any more justification than any other adaptation to another form, whether it's games, a TV show, a radio drama, etc. Comics is a visual storytelling medium, much as TV is, and it pushes different buttons than a book does.

Archived