Who are the 10 best swordsmen in the series?

Dimnara

1. For one, you don't even have Gregor on the list. Gregor killed Dondarrian the first time like he was nothing.

2. Berric shows no real prowess at fighting other than dueling a very hungover Sandor while having undead powers.

3. You left off all knights of the vale other than Bronze Yon, who is no longer even the greatest fighter of that territory.

4. No Iron Islanders.

5. Jory and Jon are very overrated.

6. Brynden Rivers was an archer who was mediocre at best at swordplay.

7. Daemon Blackfyre was more of a guess b/c they never really state his skills.

8. Yoren, Jon, and Jory should not even be on the list.

9. You also somehow forgot Loras Tyrell who should be a 9 or 8 at the least.

10. Gerold Dayne is supposed to be a better fighter that Oberyn but you have Oberyn way up top with no mention of Daemon Sand either.

I think you just tried to do too much without looking back over the list.

1. I forgot to put him on the list. That's why I asked for people to make suggestions. I added him now.

2. Beric proved to be pretty fast while fighting to a tie with Sandor. The fight was without armor (Meaning it was nearly pure speed) and Sandor was drunk and all but it still is pretty good to not lose. (He lost because his sword snapped) Also, I'm not dissing Sandor imo he is the best fighter in Westeros.

3. Lyn Corbray is on the list. So is Vardis Egen.

4. Forgot about them. Victarion is an 8 or 9. Dagmer Cleftjaw is more of a mystery but might be an 8 or 9 too.

5. I'd say they are both about average. Jory was probably the best or one of the best swords in Winterfell and Jon defeated Iron Emmett (Only once I know, but he's still pretty even with him) who is supposed to be the best of Eastwatch.

6. I know Brynden is an archer. I'd say he's average or slightly above. Definetly not 9 or 6. He only lost an eye against Bittersteel, not his life, and that was a sword duel.

7. Daemon was said to fight like the Warrior himself, and has been said to be better than the Dragonknight. He also defeated Gwayne Corbray one of the kingsguard.

8. Why shouldn't they be on the list? Everyone we have any idea on their fighting skills should be on the list. Yoren killed at least four Lannister soldiers before being killed.

9. Agree, I forgot Loras. I'd put him at an 8. He's young and he admitted that his brother Garlan is better. Also Brienne bested him (With luck perhaps) Also, Loras is a better jouster than a fighter so I don't think he deserves a nine. 8 yes, but not 9. He also went into complete shock when the Mountain attacked him in the Hands tourney.

10. To be honest I don't have a clue about who Daemon Sand is. (Other than what I can guess from his name) Also, Darkstar and Oberyn are both at level 9 so I put them equal or nearly equal.

Thanks for the feedback.

Best Swordsmen during the series:

1. Jaime Lannister

2. Barristan Selmy

3. Garlan Tyrell

4. Sandor Clegane

5. Jon Snow

6. Gregor Clegane

7. Victarion Greyjoy

8. Darkstar?

9. Loras Tyrell

10. Mance Rayder

Best fighters in any period of time & any weapon:

1. Arthur Dayne

2. Barristan Selmy

3. Jaime Lannister

4. Gerold Hightower

5. Khal Drogo

6. Howland Reed ??

7. Garlan Tyrell

8. Sandor Clegane

9. Strong Belwas

10. Robert Baratheon

No, no, no. Everybody who doesn't have Jamie Lannister at number one reshuffle your list.

Jamie Lannister has to be on the top of everybody's list. GRRM said in a video posted someplace on this site that the Kingslayer is one of the best swordsmen who ever lived. A two handed Jamie has to be number one. He didn't just say in modern times he emphasized in the History of Westeros. That's enough to convince me that Jamie Lannister (Two Handed, he emphasized that too) is number one.

No, no, no. Everybody who doesn't have Jamie Lannister at number one reshuffle your list.

Jamie Lannister has to be on the top of everybody's list. GRRM said in a video posted someplace on this site that the Kingslayer is one of the best swordsmen who ever lived. A two handed Jamie has to be number one. He didn't just say in modern times he emphasized in the History of Westeros. That's enough to convince me that Jamie Lannister (Two Handed, he emphasized that too) is number one.

He might have the best technique, but due to being average size, he'd have a serious problem fighting many others. It's useless to put people in order, because it depends on luck with people like Sandor and Jaime, and if Jaime'd be fighting the Mountain (Remember he's not Oberyn, he wouldn't be using a spear) he'd have a hard time getting near enough to hit the Mountain, not to speak of doing him any harm since he's armor is so thick that the only possibility is to hit him to a joint. Also, we need to remember the Mountains immense reach. His sword is 6 feet long his hands probably 3. A foot of his sword is the handle but he still has a reach of over 7 feet, and with his strength it's a big risk to come inside that 7 feet. One hit and your dead or injured (Ofcourse Jaime can deflect it, but that would make him tired pretty quickly). Jaime might be fast but lunging 7 feet, hitting the Mountain in a joint and retreating 7 feet or deflecting the next blow is a problem for anyone.

Sandor has a lot better odds of beating the Mountain. Jaime would have beaten Beric a lot easier than the Hound (While unarmored. While in full armor the percentage of wins against Beric would be pretty equal between Jaime and Sandor)

Who's best depends a lot on who you pair them against. Better to put them in groups inside which the fighters are as nearly equal to each other as possible.

Here's my list. Please make suggestions for changes and if you see someone missing point them out.

PAY ATTENTION TO THE SKILL, NOT THE ORDER!

Skill: 10

Aemon Targaryen

Arthur Dayne

Barristan Selmy

Daemon Blackfyre

Gregor Clegane

Jaime Lannister

Sandor Clegane

Skill: 9

Aegor Rivers

Areo Hotah

Garlan Tyrell

Gerold Dayne

Gerold Hightower

”Great” Jon Umber

Khal Drogo

Lyn Corbray

Mance Rayder

Oberyn Martell

Oswell Whent

Qhorin Halfhand

Rhaegar Targaryen

Robert Baratheon

”Small” Jon Umber

Strong Belwas

Syrio Forel

Yohn Royce

Skill: 8

Beric Dondarrion

Brandon Stark

Brienne Tarth

Bronn Stokeworth

Brynden Tully

Dagmer Cleftjaw

Jaremy Rykker

Loras Tyrell

Thoros of Myr

Victarion Greyjoy

Yoren

Skill: 7

Alliser Thorne

Benjen Stark

Brynden Rivers

Eddard Stark

Iron Emmett

Jon Snow

Jory Cassel

Vardis Egen

Jaime wasn't as good as Arthur Dayne. He himself heavily implied that. Hence, he wasn't as good as Barristan in his prime either.

That's what I've heard also (Altough I've never heard it from GRRM, I've heard it from you) but even then Jaime never says to be better than Dayne, he even makes the comparison of the new KG to Dayne not himself while he had two hands.

Jaime wasn't as good as Arthur Dayne. He himself heavily implied that. Hence, he wasn't as good as Barristan in his prime either.

that's uncorrect. Jaime's quote is: "I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne , the sword of the morning, who could have slain all five of YOU with his left hand while he was taking a piss with his right".

he's speaking about the the poor level of the Kingsguard (but he actually think that Balon and Loras are strong enough fighter for the role..he just doesn't think Loras is good for the Kingsguard, but just because of personality traits). Martin stated that Jaime is the best. of course, Arthur Dayne was top level, so of course Jaime VS Arthur (or Jaime VS best Barristan) in never a 100% sure result. But overall, Jaime is better.

I'm including all of the characters in the WOIAF in this list, including historical ones. I'm only including characters that fight primarily with swords (not Oberyn, Hotah, Robert, etc.), and I consider the arahk a sword.

1. Aemon the Dragonknight

2. Daemon Blackfyre

3. Quentyn Ball

4. Jaime Lannister

5. Baristan Selmy

6. Arthur Dayne

7. Sandor Clegane

8. Khal Drogo

9. Cregan Stark

10. Syrio Forrel

Honorable mentions

Bittersteel

Garlan Tyrell

The Halfhand

The Mountain that Rides

Bronn

I'm including all of the characters in the WOIAF in this list, including historical ones. I'm only including characters that fight primarily with swords (not Oberyn, Hotah, Robert, etc.), and I consider the arahk a sword.

1. Aemon the Dragonknight

2. Daemon Blackfyre

3. Quentyn Ball

4. Jaime Lannister

5. Baristan Selmy

6. Arthur Dayne

7. Sandor Clegane

8. Khal Drogo

9. Cregan Stark

10. Syrio Forrel

Honorable mentions

Bittersteel

Garlan Tyrell

The Halfhand

The Mountain that Rides

Bronn

Daemon Blackfyre was said to be better than the Dragonknight. Otherwise you list is pretty good, although I think that they are all pretty close to equal with each other and that the Mountain should be on the list.

Please show me the quote where Martin says Jaime was the best.

In the Citadel section of this site. Go to So spoke Martin. Then click on the September 2, 2012 interviews.

There is a video where he plays GRR Vs. JRR. It's very early in the vid so don't skip anything although i do suggest watching it it's pretty cool and light hearted fun.

In the Citadel section of this site. Go to So spoke Martin. Then click on the September 2, 2012 interviews.

There is a video where he plays GRR Vs. JRR. It's very early in the vid so don't skip anything although i do suggest watching it it's pretty cool and light hearted fun.

To be fair, Martin merely says that Jaime Lannister is one of the greatest swordsmen in the history of Westeros. Not "the" greatest.

Whereas a number of characters have said that Arthur Dayne was "the" greatest of the current age, an age which includes Jaime Lannister.

Same with Barristan the Bold.

Martin most certainly did not say in the above video that Jaime was better than Arthur Dayne.

I feel like the mountain is the most over-rated swordsman of the series. The guy is just freaking huge. He's hard to kill because he's hard to reach.. Not because he's a fantastic swordsman.

He's not overrated as a swordsman. No one says he's a good swordsman (I'd say he's about average, but with a reach and strength advantage), but nearly everyone agrees he's a great fighter.

To be fair, Martin merely says that Jaime Lannister is one of the greatest swordsmen in the history of Westeros. Not "the" greatest.

Whereas a number of characters have said that Arthur Dayne was "the" greatest of the current age, an age which includes Jaime Lannister.

Same with Barristan the Bold.

Martin most certainly did not say in the above video that Jaime was better than Arthur Dayne.

True but everything the characters say is peppered with their own bias. Martin the author isn't bound by such distinctions. Maybe Arthur Dayne was better I can't say that for sure but I know if you're one of the best swordsmen of all time then you are clearly one of the best living in your time. Because the Arthur Dayne thing is at least questionable I would put him on the top of the list without hesitation.

I don't think the swordsmen who are only heard of in songs should be included, as songs are never really an accurate description of how good someone is. We can however include the old KG as Jaime can give an accurate description of them which is only a little bias on his behalf. I think Arthur Dayne would have been the most talented swordsman in recent times in Westeros (recent being in the last 30 years) even better than Jaime. In the current times Jaime (with both hands) will undoubtedly be the best swordsman in Westeros, with people such as Barristan, Garlan, Sandor and Qhorin not far behind him. I also think that by the end of a Dance with Dragons that Garlan Tyrell is the best swordsman in Westeros as Barristan isn't there, Sandor is dead (and if he is alive, he is disfigured and slumped) and Qhorin is also dead.

10. To be honest I don't have a clue about who Daemon Sand is. (Other than what I can guess from his name) Also, Darkstar and Oberyn are both at level 9 so I put them equal or nearly equal.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ser Daemon Sand was Oberyn's squire and possible lover. Although a knight at the time he acted as the Red Viper's squire in his trial by combat against the Mountain. He was also the guy that took Arrianne's virginity and wanted to marry her. clues about his prowess come from Winds of Winter chapters where

He becomes Arrianne's sworn sheild and she outright states that since the death of Oberyn he is probably the best swordsman in Dorne

He seems a bilt like a red viper replacement character to be honest - Not that I mind that at all - The Red Adder or some such :P

It is implied that, whilst Darkstar is no slouch with a sword, he is not the best in Dorne in WoW again.

Daemon says that Oberyn planned to kill him, but never quite got round to it. Whilst Darkstar is highly skilled he was "like poison, a true viper" and just waiting to go wrong

I think the "Most dangerous man in Dorne" epitath was given to him because he really is the kind of tempermental hot head Oberyn pretends to be. Oberyn has shades of that in himself so knows how dangerous that level of skill, over confidence and recklessness can be.

I am not sure he is as good as Oberyn, Hotah or even maybe Daemon.

Archived