Who are the 10 best swordsmen in the series?

Dimnara

I still believe Ned was better than what most people give him credit for.

uhm, i think GRRM said he wasn't a great swordsman :)

he said in many interviews that Eddard greatness was his tactical ability. with a sword, he was 'competent', as any lord in good health and with training, but nowhere good as real warrior-lord, like Jason Mallister or Yohn Royce. my point is: actually i never understand why people needs to think he was a great swordsman, seen that he was probably the greatest military commander of the whole continent (along with Randyll Tarly, maybe) and that's seem to me a really badass quality :D

At the hands tourney Sandor did not seem to have any trouble holding Gregor at bay as he did not want to really fight him at that time (what he wants of Gregor would be just between them) he just stepped in to save Loras.

Barriston said Ned was a much better sword than he was given credit for that he had seen him defeat many great lords. Not saying he was top 10 but way above average!

Barristan says that on the tv show :)

in the show, Ned is a badass, strong fighter. in the books, he isn't

@Jon Wolfwalker: nobody say Ned was unable to fight. but George R.R. Martin said explicitly that he wasn't a great fighter. i mean, is not something we can 'discuss'..the author spoke, end of the question :D

all the other things (is Jaime better than young Barristan? is Rhaegar better than Arthur Dayne? ecc.ecc.) , even the ones a lot of us readers are 100% sure, are obviously questionable, because GRRM never stated in an interview "this is the truth:....".

but about Ned's skill, there are interviews :)

Oh my Gods, I can't believe I forgot about this one in my list:

The Knight of the Laughing Tree. We don't have much evidence that this paritcular knight was one of the best but we do know that he/she beat three different knights and compelled them to ransom back their armour and horses. And everyone then knew about the Knight of the Laughing Tree...Lyanna Stark...

Barristan says that on the tv show :)

in the show, Ned is a badass, strong fighter. in the books, he isn't

@Jon Wolfwalker: nobody say Ned was unable to fight. but George R.R. Martin said explicitly that he wasn't a great fighter. i mean, is not something we can 'discuss'..the author spoke, end of the question :D

all the other things (is Jaime better than young Barristan? is Rhaegar better than Arthur Dayne? ecc.ecc.) , even the ones a lot of us readers are 100% sure, are obviously questionable, because GRRM never stated in an interview "this is the truth:....".

but about Ned's skill, there are interviews :)

You need to read what I said before you respond. I said "better than most people give him credit for" as in the readers. Did you see me say badass or he kicked the stuffing out of x, y, or z?

At the end of ADWD

1. Harris Harlaw

2. Lyn Corbray

3. Brynden Tully

4. Barristan Selmy

5. Mance Rayder

6. Garlan Tyrell

7. Bronn of the Blackwater

8. "Bronze" Yohn Royce

9. Tytos Blackwood

10. Addam Marbbrand

Areo Hotah and Victarion use axes so I guess they don't count. Brienne and Asha would be Swordswomen I guess.

You need to read what I said before you respond. I said "better than most people give him credit for" as in the readers. Did you see me say badass or he kicked the stuffing out of x, y, or z?

i'm not english, so i'm sorry if sometime i write in a not-very-clear style; but i don't see what's wrong here..there's no need to be rude ;)

also, i did not correct you for using the word 'badass' (you didn't use it, so honestly i don't understand the last part of your post :))

you said 'better than most people give him credit for'. and (i speak for myself, of course) i've NEVER read in this forum someone saying that Ned was 'an old fart' or a useless swordsman, but only people saying that he was 'not so good', 'capable but not great', 'not able to fight against real warrior like Yohn Royce, Jason Mallister, etc.' and absolutely unable to stand against the top tiers like Barristan, Jaime, Sandor, etc.etc.

so of course considered that for me, reading this forum, the standard comment about Ned is..well, exactly what Martin said (capable, but nothing more, Brandon was the real warrior) when you wrote "better than most people say", i considered your idea being "very good warrior". but again, i didn't wrote anything like "you think that Ned is the greatest, you are a silly fanboy"..because you didn't sayanything like that. if that's what you understood, i'm sorry, that really wasn't my intention :)

Well Ned... survived the events at the TOJ.

Yes, he did, and he was facing possibly the greatest swordsman in recent memory: Arthur Dayne.

However, he did not do so alone... GRRM has indeed said Ned is only reasonably skilled, as swordsmen go.

So ask yourself what Howland Reed could possibly have done to make that situation at all possible... and then ask yourself:

Who was the Knight of the Laughing Tree? Which could be rephrased as: Do you think Lyanna and Ned could have defeated Arthur Dayne?

Dead or past prime

Arthur Dayne

Barriston Selmy

Jamie

Daemon Blackfire

Gerald Hightowerj

Blackfish

Rhegar

Robert B

Brandon stark - Neds brother

Ned

Swords current

Sandor Clegane

Syrio Forel

Garlan Tyrel

Adam Marbrand

Brienne

Mance

Bronn

Lyn Corbry

Yohn Royce

Fighter / All styles

Jaqen H'ghar

Sandor Clegane

Oberon Martell

Gregor Clegane

Drogo

Belwas

Ateo

Victarion Greyjoy

Grey Worm

Wun Wun

Vaguely on topic - one of the many things I didn't notice at first but dropped into my head later was that the Brienne-Jaime sword fight goes exactly as her master at arms had advised her - men would always think they could beat her and go in strong she should wait it out and wear them out.

Oh my Gods, I can't believe I forgot about this one in my list:

The Knight of the Laughing Tree. We don't have much evidence that this paritcular knight was one of the best but we do know that he/she beat three different knights and compelled them to ransom back their armour and horses. And everyone then knew about the Knight of the Laughing Tree...Lyanna Stark...

The Knight jousted, and that was all. We have no idea of her/his.it's fighting capabilities.

Archived