Arthur Dayne is alive theory

History of Westeros

If Authur Dayne is dead, howland reed didnt kill him. authur dayne was the most skilled knight in westeros, he earned that reputation by defeating all comers so Ned's seven would have been no threat. and he had hightower and another KG

so he's over Ned about to strike and howland stops him. How? he cannot defeat roberts army when they come. so Reed tells him they came to protect the child. something that Dayne cannot do for long.

i think he let them kill him.

• 2 months later...

Dayne is dead, to be certain... though honestly the 'twin' theory was an interesting one.

Would certainly have been an unexpected twist that Dayne, Stark, and Reed parlayed in the end... Dayne gave Eddard his sword, with the intent to leave the rest of Westeros believing that he had died that day at the Tower of Joy, while he went East with Aegon to protect the firstborn son (if only by minutes), and Stark went North with Jon... only after breaking the heart of the woman he had loved by telling her a lie that would haunt him for the rest of his life. The lie of Lyanna, the lie of Dayne... the lie of Aegon and Jon. The lie to his best friend and King. The lie to his wife who he had dishonored in keeping it.

A theory not supported by any evidence at all... but interesting to mull over.

• 2 months later...

I hope he is alive. The lack of concrete evidence of his death is all I need to believe. I also don't think it is impossible for Dayne to for dishonor his vows for the greater good of Jon(son of R+L) to survive and actually be protected as Neds bastard born. I do kind of like the half hand post though.

GRRM doesn't do 'fake deaths' if you hadn't noticed. These "Tywin is alive," "Aegon is alive," "Aemon is alive," "Robert is alive," threads are completely against the spirit and tone of the books and not supported by anything that's been written so far.

Except he kinda does because Gregor, Sandor, Catlyn, and Mance Rayder were all supposedly "dead" but revived in their own ways.

• 5 months later...

How did Lyanna die?

Embarrassing question I know considering I've read the books twice,my minds gone blank.

Most likely from puerperal fever, which kills up to 10 days after birth and was a very common cause of death before proper hygiene.

She was in a "bloody bed" (a synonym for the child birth process, but not necessarily in a bed covered in blood and not necessarily iemmediately have given birth) , was weak and had a fever and the room smelt of blood (and roses).

• 6 months later...

Ned gave them an opportunity to go to Viserys, he told them he was at Dragonstone but they didn't take him up on it. He offered them to bend the knee and they again said no. I don't believe Ned and Howland Reed managed to kill Ser Arthur Dayne so I believe he's alive but I don't know where

The problem is that Ned in his own thoughts notes that, "They had been seven against three, yet only two had lived to ride away."

There's no real way around it -- only he and Howland survived.

Right before that line he mentions the eight cairns he raised afterward, so no, he's talking about how many survived the encounter... or rather, how many didn't (eight).

That doesn't necessarily mean it follows that he was talking about all of them, even if that's how most people read it. It's more likely he wasn't though, as he's makes a clear distinction between the two groups throughout the dream: "They were seven, facing three." The line simply qualifies that his larger force was nearly destroyed by the smaller, which worries Ned in his present situation.

Anyway, many lines can been interpreted in more than one way, and I don't see how this is any different.

It takes a very tendentious reading to go from eight cairns and only 2 of 10 survived to "Nah, some of those are alive as well."

One might as well suppose Dayne is dead, and the White Bull is alive. Or maybe it's Oswell Whent?

It's not as if Ned hated those men. It's a tragedy that they all fought, and eight men died. It's weird and not very Ned-like to have Ned's bitterness be solely about his buddies, and not these noble Kingsguard whom he respected and admired dying in the fulfillment of their vows, but that's what you're requiring with that reading.

The problem is that Ned in his own thoughts notes that, "They had been seven against three, yet only two had lived to ride away."

There's no real way around it -- only he and Howland survived.

The whole Tower of Joy scene is a paradox. It was deliberately written that way. There is a way around it, but that takes us into the realm of deleted threads. And what does "live to ride away" mean? Why doesn't it say "lived"? Every word in that scene is carefully crafted. It is just genius. I just wonder why do some administrators write off certain notions as if they had read all seven books, while embracing endless fanfic about what if this and what if that. ToJ is a solvable puzzle. It's all in the text. However, when that is being seriously discussed, threads disappear. Why is that?

Archived