1st HBO Preview, 12 Sept 2010

Angel

SOmeone made an intersting point that the stark sigil looks Scared. With the ears back and body posture and two others mention how the direwolf looks "scaley" like a dragon.

When a wolf curls its tail up, it's NOT scared. It's actually a sign of dominance. Also, the arched back is a sign of anger, as is the snarling mouth. The ears back can be a defensive pose, as well, not necessarily a submissive pose. If anything the wolf looks like it's in a crouching position to me, which also suggests aggression. Finally, the fur is clearly bristling - again, a sign of anger, aggression, etc.

A frightened wolf will tuck it's tail between its legs, it won't bristle, it won't snarl. The ears back would be a sign of that too, but ears back can be part of other signals.

Dogs have essentially the same signals as wolves - maybe exactly the same. Anyone who has owned a big dog - and one that still is near enough in form to a wolf to have similar features - will easily recognize all of these traits.

Whoever said the wolf looks scared over on that other board knows nothing about canine behavior.

The HBO 2010/2011 season preview trailer has some brief Ned clips (near the beginning and towards the end) which show what GoT will probably look like post-processing. I'm excited!

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1118891&cmpid=ABC158

Maybe I'm seeing too much in this, but am I the only one that thinks HBO is putting a lot into this series because they finished their whole promotional video with it?

I always thought this was an excellent dipiction of a wolf in bas relief from:

A heraldric leaping wolf relief on a german castle-mansion. Wolfsburg. You can also see the "scales" depicted as fur also. No snarling or ears back. But great proportions.

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/87/Wappen_Bartensleben_Schloss.jpg

You can also see a small rendition of it again on the left shield at the top

http://burgerbe.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/wolfsburg_wappen.jpg

I just saw the preview and liked most of it. But I am very worried about Dany. This just won't do. Not just the hair (It is not the hair color but the hair texture that I feel is wrong). This Dany looks too old and the face is just not interesting, just some pretty but exchangeable girl from next door. I was a Tamzin Merchant fan and I know that I have to be careful not to be unfair. But when I saw the picture with the thick white hair and the much to dark skin tan of E. Clarke and the cheesy white horse I was a little bit shocked and thought of Xena or some other cheap fantasy productions , which GOT should please please not be comparable with, and I am worried.

All hail to Invertebrate -- he was right. HBO tells me that's an extra. While I still think the guy looks a lot like Jack Gleeson would look if he scrunched up his face like that, it's not him, and so ... that's that. :)

I'm certain it's another extra. They wouldn't be able to say more than that, in regards to what he was supposed to represent. A random lord or guard or something seems likeliest, since he's carrying a sword.

I thought Dany looked beautiful and natural looking, which is better than I could come up with in my head from reading the books. I kept getting hung up on "silver hair" and I had a difficult time really picturing what she would look like.

I think she looks amazing.

I thought so too, oh well. I can't imagine what sort of extra that could be though.

Were we able to find out who that long grey haired guy was, the one standing in front of a doorway? Random Northern lord perhaps?

Seen here, attempting to clobber what looks like the guy standing at the far left in this picture. I think that makes him of the mountain clans. And he doesn't seem to be wearing the shadowcat cloak that Marillion takes from the dead body of the maul wielding clansman at the end of the first attack on Cat's party, so he may survive the encounter. Given his striking appearance and that we get two looks at him in the preview imagery, he must be someone of note and not just a random extra. I'm guessing Shagga, since he still has both of his eyes.

No, totally different guys. The dude with the mace has much more ragged clothing and a much fuller beard. More hair, too.

We have a Shagga, Mark Lewis Jones. Doesn't look anything like either of these guys.

Well I hadn't heard about Shagga's casting so I'm obviously wrong about that, but I don't see how you can tell anything about the mace wielders hair or beard as it seems to be almost totally obscured by his swinging arm, and blurred to boot. The clothing seems to fit the same general description as well. Brown leather vest over short sleeved leather with lighter toned cloth/woolen cuffs showing. And the only raggedness I can see of Mace Wielder's attire would be out of frame in the shot of him in the doorway.

Just to be clear, we are talking about these two guys, right?

The Mance,

Yeah, we're talking about them.

There are earlier frames from before his face being obscured. Trust me, the mace guy has a big bushy gray beard and his leather vest looking thing is quite ragged and dirty. He also has fur-lined leather vambraces or what have you on his arms. The person he's attacking, OTOH, looks suspiciously like one of the men accompanying Catelyn, seen here. This would place him as one of the mountain clansmen.

There are earlier frames from before his face being obscured. Trust me, the mace guy has a big bushy gray beard and his leather vest looking thing is quite ragged and dirty.
Well, if you've seen other imagery I guess i'll take your word for it, but from the two pics on the screencaps page they look like the same guy to me. Maybe we should ask Invertebrate, just to be sure. :P

The person he's attacking, OTOH, looks suspiciously like one of the men accompanying Catelyn, seen here. This would place him as one of the mountain clansmen.

Noted upthread.

Archived