1st HBO Preview, 12 Sept 2010

Angel

As has been pointed out, we've got several years before this will become an issue for the series, assuming it gets that far. I think the end of ASOS could work as a natural 'break point' if HBO decide to end the series early - with some amendments, anyway.

I hope that isn't how they end the series-- it will be so bleak to have the red wedding and the Starks defeat be the last we see of the show. Just imagining that depresses me. I really hope it's successful that way we don't have to deal with an incomplete series end. If GRRM can't keep pace and the show catches up, perhaps he can provide an outline on where he's going with the story that way the script writers can finish it.

But that doesn't mean that Benioff and Weiss already know the answers to some of the big ASOIAF questions; it might just mean they know how much emphasis to put on certain plotlines.

GRRM discussed this in Aussiecon. Ran linked to it in the latest news. It seems that D&D are aware of the answers to some of the big aSoIaF questions.

To believe that the problems that beset GRRM with the last two book due to this gap oh so fortuitously end here is an act of extraordinary faith.

Not really. We just don't know. We know why aFfC and aDwD were delayed but it would be rather strange to extrapolate from those 2 data points. Other problems may develop with tWoW. Or not. We just can't say.

I can tell you from some of my favorite shows cancelled too early that it's about ratings, not critical acclaim, more often than not.

HBO does have a different approach than the main US networks, so we can take some sollace there. Although, we can't take anything for granted.

Otherwise this was an interesting thread. Very exciting preview. The only thing that actually surprised me was the supposed absence of cloaks on the Kingsguard but there seems to be some uncertainty about this. Although, Parris did voice some concern on this issue in this thread. After that, fair enough if some people are really into armour or make-up but I don't think its particularly important for the vast majority of the watching public. Fair enough too if people are over-worrying about stuff. We all want this to work, so we fear the worst. But I don't see any reason to think HBO are going to make very obvious mistakes. Some of its decisions are going to annoy people but that was always inevitable. So far things seem wonderful though.

I think its fine if HBO wants to have some fun with armour. There is hardly something intrinsic to Japanese helms that means that it could only be invented by people that wear kimonos and have a samurai culture? :P At the same time, there are other complaints about the armour been too drab. So you can't win here. Again though, not a major issue.

Regarding tourney grounds. I don't think Kings Landing has a permanent tourney ground in the book? Not like we have heard of regular big events in KL? They seem to happen all over the country. I'm sure there is a place for tourney's but they may not see the gain in paying for having permanent grandstands etc.

Well, he seems to have given them at least a basic sense of things. Watching these videos, he mentions that they know things like who's set to die when, and given them some other "secret" info (pretty sure Jon's parentage would be one of those). Whether he'll provide a much more detailed outline, I don't know. As I speculated up thread, he might well not do that, to basically allow them to freely write an "alternate" ending to the series which is not too close to his intention.

But yeah, all remote, etc. I'd take it a season at a time.

The "in production" snippet they showed.

As I said in the True Blood thread, I actually wasn't that impressed with the trailer proper, but I loved the rest of what they showed. Everything is so lush and detailed, even the bits I might personally have done differently. ;)

I liked that a lot!

Well, he seems to have given them at least a basic sense of things. Watching these videos, he mentions that they know things like who's set to die when, and given them some other "secret" info (pretty sure Jon's parentage would be one of those). Whether he'll provide a much more detailed outline, I don't know. As I speculated up thread, he might well not do that, to basically allow them to freely write an "alternate" ending to the series which is not too close to his intention.

But yeah, all remote, etc. I'd take it a season at a time.

So you don't think he's told them who will sit the Iron Throne in the end, or whether there will even be an Iron Throne?

I hope that isn't how they end the series-- it will be so bleak to have the red wedding and the Starks defeat be the last we see of the show. Just imagining that depresses me. I really hope it's successful that way we don't have to deal with an incomplete series end. If GRRM can't keep pace and the show catches up, perhaps he can provide an outline on where he's going with the story that way the script writers can finish it.

I wouldn't say ASoS was completely depressing. The Red Wedding was brutal, yes, but the "good" guys get their licks in too. Tyrion kills Tywin, who will probably be viewed as the main human villain. Jon is elected Commander of the Night's Watch. Dany is learning how to rule as a Queen before she commences her invasion of Westeros. Arya is off to learn how to become a Faceless Man. And Jaime takes over as head of the Kingsguard and appears to be firmly on the path of redemption. And the season will likely end with the image of unCat beginning to reap her revenge.

It's not the most pleasant of endings and would provide a frustrating conclusion for those who hadn't read the books (assuming the series is finished by then, three to five years down the road).

A little side track from current discussion.

It hasn't been mentioned, nor was a glimpse shown. But I'm extremely excited to see HBO's interpretation of the "Iron Throne" of Aegons made from the thousands of swords left on the field of fire from his foes.

Maybe in the next teaser or trailer?

"The Iron Throne is a monstrosity of spikes and jagged edges and twisted metal, made of the swords of conquered foes. It is uncomfortable, and the back is fanged with steel which makes leaning back impossible. Aegon the Conqueror had it made, saying that a king should never sit easy (I: 386)"

Hi Guys,

Just been reading some of this thread. Sorry I wasn't around to answer questions earlier. To answer your question about Kingsguard cloaks - yes, they have cloaks. I was standing beside them as the costume people where fitting them. They were trying to figure out how the cloaks would be worn/held. They look great and the costume people were taking alot of care over them. They didn't have them on in some scenes.

Also, the Tourney set looks great! You really haven't seen it yet.

Uhm, I think Jack was making a joke, but I could be wrong. ;)

*cough* If he did, I totally missed it.

ETA

Yes, very white! Didn't get a close look but I think they had gold edging (could be wrong). And the Gold Cloaks have gold cloaks!

And "YES!" again. Color me pleased.

Uhm, I think Jack was making a joke, but I could be wrong. ;)

I could see how it might be difficult to tell, as it was a very bad joke. It made me laugh, though, and that's my only barometer. I thought about adding a 'Waaah-waaah-waaaaah' at the end, but that's sort of a cop-out. I like my bad jokes to stand on their own. Cool to hear about the cloaks, though, both white and gold. I'd like to ask more questions, like whether the Kingsguard wear white outfits when they're out of their armor, but I know Rimshot can't give out too many details. What about the production schedule, though? Rimshot, do you know when the first "block" of three episodes is done shooting, or if it is done already? I was surprised that the thingy they hold up in front of the camera indicated one scene was from episode 5, as that would seem to fall outside of the first three-episode block. Have they moved on to episodes 5-7? Or is the shooting schedule not quite as clear cut as we might've thought; i.e., scenes from episodes outside the originally laid out three-episode block might bleed into the shoot? I don't know if that made any sense, but whatever.

Archived