October 2010 - What are you reading?

RedEyedGhost

Had a dream last night that I bought Bakker's Neuropath though, so I'm thinking it's a divine sign that I should get off my lazy ass and finally read that book.

We all suspected as much, but here it is at last - conclusive, irrefutable proof that the Gods are jerks.

Haha just today I picked up Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith from the library. Score!

That and Stripped by Brian Freeman, but its one I've been looking for in the past couple of years since I read Immoral, his debut novel.

Haha just today I picked up Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith from the library. Score!

That and Stripped by Brian Freeman, but its one I've been looking for in the past couple of years since I read Immoral.

I can't imagine this being any good

I read the two most recent Nightside books by Simon R. Green. Just Another Judgment Day was a good, strong book and better than the two just prior in the series. The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny felt a little rambling, but it had some interesting character and plot development.

Next I might try The Abbey by Dan Dobos.

I read Richard Morgan's The Steel Remains and I was really disappointed. I was expecting greatness from him and I didn't get it. I understand not all his books can be like Altered Carbon and this was a new genre for him but the book was mediocre. I just couldn't picture the world he created, I didn't care about the characters one way or another. The whole book felt unfocused to me. Reading the next one when it comes out on paperback is not very high on my list right now.

I also finished Swallowing Darkness by L.K. Hamilton. Hamilton is one of my guilty pleasures, or was, anyway. The Meredith Gendry series has always been entertaining in a way and this book was a quick read that served as a way to clear my mind. I was really surprised that there weren't any sex scenes until page 160 (yes, I checked) and one more at the end of the book. The lack of full-blown orgies had me checking to see if I was indeed reading a LKH book. :P I guess this was more focused on fairy politics and magic and I'm not complaining.

I've started Suzanne Collin's Catching Fire. So far so good, but not as good as The Hunger Games.

Had to make a trip to the bookstore the other day, had no idea what I wanted to get. Ended up picking the first book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. Heard it mentioned around here and that usually makes for a good read. So far it's okay--I'm not super drawn in to any of the characters yet and plot is a bit slow in building, but it's entertaining enough to keep me reading.

Finished The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham, and yes, its as good as everyone says it is.

Starting Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury and Ex Machina by Brian K Vaughn.

Read that recently enough - It's good, certainly. I got into it more later in the book. It's all coming-of-age/Power of Friendship/Father-son relationship. One thing that bugged me a bit was

Charles Halloway keeps going on about how old he is when he's not that old! He's 53-4!

Currently reading Unseen Academicals. I like it so far. I had read some opinions that it wasn't quite up to high Pratchett standards but I'm not really seeing that.

Archived