Who are your favorite minor characters in asoiaf?

The faceless others

Bronn,for the reasons everyone's given;

Shagwell, 'cause, as he says, he's so droll;

the Greatjon, 'cause he's a fuckin' lummox of a man;

the clansmen from the Mountain of the Moon, mostly because they talk in the third person;

Pod, 'cause he's so damn awkward;

Dolorous Edd, 'cause his response to everything is mine if I were in his situation: "aww fuck, might as well gripe about it."

Donal Noye. Yes, the character is straight up High Fantasy in a Low Fantasy world, but I really don't give a crap; he's a reminder that when Martin veers toward High Fantasy, he does it so freaking well. One of my favorite moments in the entire series is when Jon Snow comes across his body after the battle on the Wall, having been slain by, and having slain, the king of the giants.

Dareon the singer, whose voice Maester Aemon described as "Honey poured over thunder." A good reminder that, in Martin's world, beauty of many different kinds can be treacherous, and his antics in Braavos made for a great small conflict that stemmed from his weakness and selfishness. At the same time, if his story is to be believed, he was the victim of a tragic injustice, and I wonder if I would do as he did had I that sort of amazing talent but had been dealt such a shit hand. That makes him a great foil for Samwell, who is also in the Night's Watch because of a tragic injustice, but who remains loyal.

Strong Belwas. Because who can't love a character who's a world class fighter and whose only desire is for liver and onions?

Shagwell, because he was such a gloriously perverse combination of wit and brutality. He's like a character from a Quentin Tarantino movie.

Shae, because she gets so much hate when her male mirror image, Bronn, gets so much love; commoners who rose through amorality and extreme skill at their chosen trade, who abandoned Tyrion when he needed them most, but whose perceived loyalty was never because of him personally. Her death was a tragedy of sorts, and people who express glee over it make me sad.

Grey Worm. The dude was the unanimous choice for the leader of a group of freed slave soldiers. Anyone who emerges from that sort of meritocracy with that kind of mandate gets my respect.

Shagga Son of Dolf. "What brings you down from your strongholds, my lords?" "Horses," said Shagga.

Ser Garlan the Gallant, because he has the more useful talents and courtesy, but his brother gets all of the fame and credit.

Dolorous Edd, though how could the most brilliant comic mind in Westeros possibly be considered "minor"?

...hell, it'd probably be quicker to name the minor characters I don't love...

Podrick Payne- Please don't be dead! I want Pod to be part of the Sansa rescue team.

Lady Mormont -I hope she gets a big role in the upcoming books. I think she would be a great POV.

The Blackfish- Can't wait to see where he ends up. I would love to see him in the Vale or joining forces w/ Howland Reed

The Greatjon- He has to make it out of the Twins! I want him to proclaim a new king (or queen) of the North

Val - Val knows the secret of the switched babies. Val would also be able to give insight on the Wilding culture and the Others. I wonder if Jon will start to have a crush on her in ADWD (better Val than Mel!)

Pia-Another tragic commonfolk girl that has had her home and life turned upside down. I didn't think much of Pia in ACOK, however, she was nice to Arya and Hot Pie at least. I felt so bad for her in AFFC! When Jaime took her in to his service, I knew he was changing for the better. AGOT Jaime would not have given Pia a second thought.

Ned Dayne - He was so sweet and polite to Arya in ASOS (even though he upset her by accident). I'm thinking Ned Dayne will be quite the handsome young squire next we see him. Ned wasn't part of Lady Stoneheart's group in AFFC, so where is he and who is he with?

The Queen of Thrones - Just because. I would love to see her in Balor's Great Sept demanding Margaery's release.

Edit to add:

Lady Genna Lannister Frey - I loved her interaction with Jaime in AFFC. I wonder if Lady Genna will stay at Riverrun or go where she is needed in the books to come? Since Jaime isn't (or doesn't appear to be) returning to King's Landing to assist Cersei, another Lannister must go to her. I would love to see Genna walking into Cersei's cell.....

Jorah. Jorah Jorah Jorah! Did I mention Jorah?

Also I'm thrilled by Iain Glen being cast as Jorah - totally not what I pictured him looking like in that he's quite attractive and will make certain scenes with Dany less... squidgy... and more downright hot. :P

If he doesn't count as minor... uh Queen of Thorns I guess. And Maester Aemon!

Shae, because she gets so much hate when her male mirror image, Bronn, gets so much love; commoners who rose through amorality and extreme skill at their chosen trade, who abandoned Tyrion when he needed them most, but whose perceived loyalty was never because of him personally. Her death was a tragedy of sorts, and people who express glee over it make me sad.

I take back what I wrote, Ser Greguh wins the thread.

Wow. Am I the only one who doesn't like the Hound?

You definitely aren't.

My favorites are Yoren, Pod, Edric Dayne, Rickon, Benjen, Maesters Luwin, Cressen and Aemon, Old Nan, Mormonts (except for Jorah), Satin, Qhorin Halfhand, Ygritte, Baratheon bastards (Mya, Edric and Gendry, in that order), Sarella/Alleras, Arianne (if she counts), Jaqen H'ghar and Missandei. There are probably a lot more that I'm forgetting, since there's a lot of characters that I like.

Edric Storm has the most badass name of anyone in the series. Seriously, "Edric Storm". Edric motherfuckin' Storm.

I have to go with Strong motherfuckin' Belwas myself. You can cut him, but it'll be the last thing you do. He'll not only kill you, he'll shit in the direction of your brethren. My favorite minor character for sure.

Jaqen H'ghar's appearances are some of the most riveting for me. He seems so mercurial and powerful, and then almost comical when Arya reveals to him the third name on her hitlist.

I also find Patchface intriguing, though unsettling. Dude is creepy!

Archived