Who are your favorite minor characters in asoiaf?

The faceless others

Jaqen H'ghar's appearances are some of the most riveting for me. He seems so mercurial and powerful, and then almost comical when Arya reveals to him the third name on her hitlist.

Quite.

Arya put her lips to his ear. “It’s Jaqen H’ghar.”

Even in the burning barn, with walls of flame towering all around and him in chains, he had not seemed so distraught as he did now. “A girl . . . she makes a jest.”

“You swore. The gods heard you swear.”

“The gods did hear,” There was a knife in his hand suddenly, its blade thin as her little finger. Whether it was meant for her or him, Arya could not say. “A girl will weep. A girl will lose her only friend.”

“You’re not my friend. A friend would help me.” She stepped away from him, balanced on the balls of her feet in case he threw his knife.

Arya just reduced this cold-blooded super assassin almost to tears. What a great girl!

Dolorous Edd Tollett

Lady Olenna

Walder Frey

Jory Cassel

Genna Lannister

Maester Cressen

Maester Aemon (not really minor?)

Tommen?

Bronn

The Old Bear and his raven

Grey Worm. The dude was the unanimous choice for the leader of a group of freed slave soldiers. Anyone who emerges from that sort of meritocracy with that kind of mandate gets my respect.

You've won me over. Grey Worm too. Interesting thoughts on Shea as well, never really thought of her roll compared to Bronn's. Maybe she's less palatable to people because unlike Bronn, she is less upfront about how far her $loyalty$ goes. Plus she just isn't as funny.

More love for Bronn and Olenna (if we decide that they're minor enough) for the same reasons as everybody... among the truly minor, I am quite partial to Butterbumps, Lothor Brune, Daven Lannister, Mord the Gaoler, and the much-neglected Merritt "Muttonhead" Frey.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can you imagine if Sandor had a POV before the QI.

Think of what came out of his mouth literally. If he had an internal monologue it would have been like:

"And so this BLEEP who thinks he is a true BLEEP BLEEP knight, walks the BLEEP over to me like a BLEEP BLEEP.

And if he makes it out of QI, I would assume he changed, and it would be difficult to write for him. If he comes off like a peaceful changed man, it might be tricky.

1. Ser Lord Protector Bronn of the Blackwater Stokeworth - I love this social climbing, utterly pragmatic, sarcastic, and deadly as hell rascal.

2. Tormund Giantsbane Tall-talker, Horn-blower and Breaker of Ice, Husband to Bears, the Mead-king of Ruddy Hall, Speaker to Gods and Father of Hosts. - The guy you want to, but probably shouldn't go out drinking with.

3. Ser Ilyn Payne - Creepy tongueless executioner who live for his job and apparently has a sharp sense of humor. I liked him before he became Jaime's sounding board/fencing partner but I loved him in that role.

Amen to all three. I would add Dolorous Edd, Maester Luwin, Hodor, Wyman Manderly and poor, bumbling, pathetic Lancel Lannister. Only because I can't help but feel sorry for the fool.

In the Ladies' Category (in order of "bleepin' awesome" to "pretty cool")

Lady Bear Mormont. The Queen of Thorns (obviously!). Meera Reed. Myrcella (why not- she seems rather sweet, poor thing!) Ellaria Sand.

I feel like The Hound and the Blackfish actually have had slightly more involvement in major happenings/evens/POVs than "minor" characters. But if we are counting them as minor, then by all means, add them to the list!

Dolorous Edd - Everthing he says makes me laugh out loud :)

Tormund Giantsbane - I love his Member obsession

Bronn

Wyman Manderly - His "The North Remembers" speech made me fistpump the air!

Greatjon Umber - Fought off 8 people at the Red Wedding, and is the epitomy of badassery

• 5 months later...

I see a lot of POV characters on here that I wouldn't consider minor like Selmy, Davos and a non pov Littlefinger but I would definitely not consider him a minor character he is way to important to the story. The hound was definitely my favorite minor character.

Archived