Wikileaks

Cantabile

Just out of curiousity, how would you describe terrorism itself? How about those terrorists who deliberately target civilians to maximize casualties, and to impose their religious views and dogma on other people, whether heretics, infidels, or apostates?

As you describe it, evil.

Anonymous has taken down Visa now.

The US is. Do you think Manning (or whoever leaked these documents) is going to get off scot-free?

I've seen that he might get as much as fifty years in a military prison. May as well execute him, to be honest, because military prisons are something else.

I'm going to jump in here and add one of the recently released cables:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/08/wikileaks-cables-shell-nigeria-spying

The oil giant Shell claimed it had inserted staff into all the main ministries of the Nigerian government, giving it access to politicians' every move in the oil-rich Niger Delta, according to a leaked US diplomatic cable.

The company's top executive in Nigeria told US diplomats that Shell had seconded employees to every relevant department and so knew "everything that was being done in those ministries". She boasted that the Nigerian government had "forgotten" about the extent of Shell's infiltration and was unaware of how much the company knew about its deliberations.

Cables from Nigeria show how Ann Pickard, then Shell's vice-president for sub-Saharan Africa, sought to share intelligence with the US government on militant activity and business competition in the contested Niger Delta – and how, with some prescience, she seemed reluctant to open up because of a suspicion the US government was "leaky".

But that did not prevent Pickard disclosing the company's reach into the Nigerian government when she met US ambassador Robin Renee Sanders, as recorded in a confidential memo from the US embassy in Abuja on 20 October 2009.

At the meeting, Pickard related how the company had obtained a letter showing that the Nigerian government had invited bids for oil concessions from China. She said the minister of state for petroleum resources, Odein Ajumogobia, had denied the letter had been sent but Shell knew similar correspondence had taken place with China and Russia.

The ambassador reported: "She said the GON [government of Nigeria] had forgotten that Shell had seconded people to all the relevant ministries and that Shell consequently had access to everything that was being done in those ministries."

Nigeria is Africa's leading oil producer and the eighth biggest exporter in the world, accounting for 8% of US oil imports. Although a recent UN report largely exonerated the company, critics accuse Shell, the biggest operator in the delta, and other companies, of causing widespread pollution and environmental damage in the region. Militant groups engaged in hostage-taking and sabotage have proliferated.

This might have something to do with why the US Government (and others) are trying to get Assange so bad.

WikiLeaks' next assault on Washington may highlight U.S. government reports on suspected militants held at Guantanamo Bay, which some U.S. officials worry could show certain detainees were freed despite intelligence assessments they were still dangerous.

"He's got the personal files of every prisoner in GITMO," said one person who was in contact with Assange earlier this year.

The State Department did NOT send a letter to Paypal. The letter in question was sent to Assange.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/08/paypal_state_dept_wikileaks/

Yeah, that article did not put PayPal in a good light, but they still made their decision based on some rather flimsy arguments.

Here's the thing. In general I'm against putting the lives of US intelligence assets at risk, so I have trouble endorsing what Wikileaks did. On the other hand, if our governments are going to keep stuff like http://goo.gl/Qhl4M from us (I started a separate thread to talk about that incident specifically, because I think it deserves it), and Wikileaks is the only way to find out about it... I have trouble with unilaterally condemning it.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant, and this needs a lot of disinfecting.

New cable shows the US conspired with China to sink the Copenhagen climate summit. But of course, it's traitorous and deserving of execution for anyone to know.

I'm glad this came out, but that's purely for partisan/philosophical reasons because I think this will make it much tougher to get a climate agreement in the future. In the bigger picture, this is just one aspect of such leaks making it more difficult to countries to negotiate treaties or agreements of any kind.

And having engaged in lots of negotiations professionally, I can say categorically that a lot of settlements/agreements would never have happened if all the negotiations/strategy sessions were made public.

AAAAAAH! Fucking mastercard. Here I am, happy and drunk walking home from the club when I suddenly realise I'm hungry. I stop by the nearest kebab-shob to buy food, but my mastercard is not responding. Now, I never carry cash but because mastercard suddenly decided that they're going to become political I have to start doing that again.

Certainly, I could blame anonymous for all of this, but my fucking payment service should not decide for me what political stand I'm willing to take.

So, fuck mastercard!

Again, appologies for being drunnk.

AAAAAAH! Fucking mastercard. Here I am, happy and drunk walking home from the club when I suddenly realise I'm hungry. I stop by the nearest kebab-shob to buy food, but my mastercard is not responding. Now, I never carry cash but because mastercard suddenly decided that they're going to become political I have to start doing that again.

Certainly, I could blame anonymous for all of this, but my fucking payment service should not decide for me what political stand I'm willing to take.

So, fuck mastercard!

Again, appologies for being drunnk.

I'm missing the connection between your mastercard not working and wikileaks, but I haven't been following it that close. What's the story?

Here's the thing. In general I'm against putting the lives of US intelligence assets at risk, so I have trouble endorsing what Wikileaks did. On the other hand, if our governments are going to keep stuff like http://goo.gl/Qhl4M from us (I started a separate thread to talk about that incident specifically, because I think it deserves it), and Wikileaks is the only way to find out about it... I have trouble with unilaterally condemning it.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant, and this needs a lot of disinfecting.

I agree. I don't agree with them releasing some fo the stuff they have, but they have released alot of stuff that damn well should be public.

Archived