Aussie LII

brook

Congrats! And yes, buy the shoes!

Well it looks like they have decided it is just too risky to operate on Nan, noone really knows what that actually means for her arm though or what they plan on doing with her because pop can't care for her like she is at home and she can't stay in hospital for ever.

It seems the doctors aren't really talking, I'm up there on Saturday so hopefully we'll know a bit more by then.

Hoping it all works out brook. :grouphug:

Well it looks like they have decided it is just too risky to operate on Nan, noone really knows what that actually means for her arm though or what they plan on doing with her because pop can't care for her like she is at home and she can't stay in hospital for ever.

Brook, I don't know the background, but I will keep you all in my thoughts. Just keep very close tabs on what the clinicians are doing, research thoroughly and don't be afraid to ask awkward questions. I just spent 4 weeks of hell trying to look out for my Mother-in-Law (who has been like a mother to me) in hospital after a routine admission went bad. She's back in her residential home now, but still not back to normal.

Last day of work people, today is a good day.

I can second that. Two weeks of festivities can now commence. Cheers!

Yeah, sad news that= really shows how desperate they are to leave.

I have small good news

Have a new job, with hours I want to work and reasonable pay rates..

now do I get a new pair of =gender%3Awomen&w[1]=attribute%3ASandal&p=3&pp=1&view=detail&colourID=2166"]Fluevogs with my first paycheck in a while? :wub: :drool:

congrats sh_wulff! thats fantastic! i think those shoes are definately in order for all your hard work :D the big question is what colour? and maybe somewhere to go dancing in them with?! do you reckon we could convince these NSW boys to do a dancing class with us girls so we'd have partners to dance with :P soemthing cool, like doing some little swing classes :P

It seems the doctors aren't really talking, I'm up there on Saturday so hopefully we'll know a bit more by then.

hey brook, im really sorry to hear your news about your nan...we are going through a similar thing with my 92 year old grandma, she needs an op but they wont operate due to age as well...but if she doesnt get it..well..i suppose it just speeds things up.

sh_wulf has some really great advice...is there a social worker assigned to her that can get out to their home and see what sort of care assistance she can get to make life easier? ... hope the family get together goes ok...can brig out the best and worst in some...thinking of ya darl xo

Most of the family will be there on Saturday (including my Pop and Mum who hold duel power of attorney) so we will hopefully get some answers tomorrow. Her mental state doesn't seem too good at the moment but we don't actually know if it is because she's on heavy duty painkillers or if there is something more.

I like the sound of dancing classes. I used to do rock'n'roll when I was in my teens. I have two left feet and no sense of rhythm so it was a bit of a disaster but great fun all the same, and more importantly the dresses are pretty ;-)

ok want to wish everyone the best for the festivities.

Brook thank you for the poem nice to know someone understands tradition. Not looking at anyone Ski.

hope things go well for your Nan and don't let those doctors bully you. Sorry but a pet hate is moron doctors trying to talk down to me.

Unfortunately it is also something I am going to have to deal with, looks like I am going into hospital for more tests, this time for clots.

Unfortunately it is also something I am going to have to deal with, looks like I am going into hospital for more tests, this time for clots.

Good luck!

good luck gryph, i hope it all works out for you and they find some helping herbs soon :)

hey ski, im not sure if it would be the same for you, but my brother has been working up at at the mining towns in nhulumbuy for a few years now. from what i gather, when he was doing his aircon stuff the pay is pretty general but its all the overtime where you make your cash, so you might have a run where you make shitloads and then work tapers off and you have an average week. i spose at least yo get paid for it though. he's in an open cut mine now, and when he works normal daytime hours the pays not so good, but when he does shift work (four days on four nights on) he earns the good money. he can find it very isolating at times, its definately a meat market up there. alot of the people tend to just drink etc alot because theres not much else to do up there (even thats expensive), or those thatve been there for awhile fly in and out, so the ambience isnt fantastic.... maybe it would be different for a sparkie...not but there ya go

Stormborne

Dancing sounds great - can't do Thursdays but love the idea. If boys not interested then some non- partner dancing such as flamenco or bellydancing or even hip-hop might be fun.

Zumba classes are like hyper dance classes- nothing too technical and a great old giggle.

Brook-

hang in there-

Gryph-

look bafter yourself -and remember not all doctors talk down to people

Ski -

good luck job hunting

and lastly- is this thread quieter minus Pax ;)

.....Brook- hang in there-

Gryph- look bafter yourself -and remember not all doctors talk down to people

Ski -good luck job hunting

There isn't enough banter between him and myself, I do miss the bastard.

Touche

Stormborne

Dancing sounds great - can't do Thursdays but love the idea. If boys not interested then some non- partner dancing such as flamenco or bellydancing or even hip-hop might be fun.

Zumba classes are like hyper dance classes- nothing too technical and a great old giggle.

Brook-

hang in there-

Gryph-

look bafter yourself -and remember not all doctors talk down to people

Ski -

good luck job hunting

ROFLOL

went for my tests on saturday and after what I would VERY generously call a basic look ( not an examination) was sent home and told to see my doc. I sort of got a tad annoyed, asked him what I am supposed to do to get there since I cannot drive with this balance and disorientation problem and have no money or income.

he didn't care so I said gee I didn't expect much but I also didn't expect absolutely nothing!

thanks for your time since that is all i can thank you for.

Yeah I was pissed if I could have taken a swing I probably would have, that is how pissed I was.

so have been trying to arrange a lift to docs and centrelink for monday.

Hey Aussies, just checking in with a quick hello. Haven't been able to read many of the posts I've missed but it looks like everyone here is pretty well and gearing up for chrissy (sorry to hear about your gran though brook).

The trip has been all plain sailing so far and I've really enjoyed Egypt and Morocco. Hard to see how Europe can top this first three weeks (especially with the shitty weather over there) but I'm sure the easier access to beer will make a difference :thumbsup:. I'm spending christmas in Paris and then on to London and Berlin. Hopefully will be able to check in here a bit more over the next couple of weeks but if not I hope everyone enjoys the break.

ETA: And yeah, I'm pretty damn annoyed by recent Ashes results and Glory continuing to suck...:thumbsdown:

Sounds like the trip is going great, can't wait to see photos when you get back! You'll have to try and drop in and post more often though, poor Ski is pining for you :)

We had some limited good news about Nan, they have confirmed they are never going to be able to operate (thats not the good news obviously) so we're just going to have to hope it heals well in its own time so she doesn't lose too much use of it. They are going to give her a day pass for Christmas day which IS good news. Noone was really relishing the idea of Christmas day in the hospital but I wasn't going to miss what might well be the last Christmas I have with her either.

They are currently trying to get her a spot in a rehab centre where she will stay until she is healed enough to be cared for at home, thats a long way from ideal but at least it means Pop is going to stop killing himself trying to look after her properly. After getting up there I realised how bad his knee has actually gotten from hauling her around (he would never EVER complain about it himself) and it looks pretty certain he's going to need another reconstruction.

I guess I've been lucky, having both parents and grandparents who started their families in their early 20's means I haven't really had to face up to the fact that my grandparents are getting old until, well now, but pop is 80 next year and nan is only a year younger so I suppose I should be grateful I've had them in good health for so long. I was tucking into the christmas pudding Nan made me last night (she always makes one for each household and then a huge one for christmas day itself) and realised it might be the last one she makes me so now I'm kicking myself for not putting more effort into learning the recipe.

hey brook, sorry to hear that they are unable to operate on your nan, hope shes not in too much pain. still time to learn that recipe love, and listen to all those stories again and again. hope this christmas is a blast and gives your nan a good perk up and some strength to help her in the slow recovery. lucky she's got a supportive granddaughter helping her along the way :)

Archived